Rutgers adds transfer from Illinois | The Boneyard

Rutgers adds transfer from Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
congrats to RU. but at 5'11", and a "forward", she's a bit undersized - even smaller than Samarie Walker... and she was ranked 50th coming out of HS? i'm glad if you are, but she doesn't seem to give you much except some depth... not a bad thing but...

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Well Betnijah Laney is only 6'0, and she played alot of 4 for us last years, and she's a wing also. And I don't think her ranking should have anything to do with it.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
congrats to RU. but at 5'11", and a "forward", she's a bit undersized - even smaller than Samarie Walker... and she was ranked 50th coming out of HS? i'm glad if you are, but she doesn't seem to give you much except some depth... not a bad thing but...
Well, Barb Turner was (cough) 6-0 but really about 5-10 and Jamelle was supposedly 5-11. Both were fierce in the post, wouldn't trade them for anyone.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well, Barb Turner was (cough) 6-0 but really about 5-10 and Jamelle was supposedly 5-11. Both were fierce in the post, wouldn't trade them for anyone.
True and excellent point(s). and Samarie was not over 6'1" and was "undersized" in the post as well. but still, i'm left wondering how much a kid who averaged 7 PPG and 3 RPG as a sophomore for a team that went 11-29, isn't exactly scintillating. i'm not trying to rain on RU fans' parade - just trying to get a feel for how good she's expected to be for them...

i'm guessing if RU recruited her, she realized, among other things, that Illinois was going nowhere fast, and RU has been doing really well recruiting, so perhaps she felt her decision to go to Illinois over RU in the first place was the wrong one...

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
True and excellent point(s). and Samarie was not over 6'1" and was "undersized" in the post as well. but still, i'm left wondering how much a kid who averaged 7 PPG and 3 RPG as a sophomore for a team that went 11-29, isn't exactly scintillating. i'm not trying to rain on RU fans' parade - just trying to get a feel for how good she's expected to be for them...

i'm guessing if RU recruited her, she realized, among other things, that Illinois was going nowhere fast, and RU has been doing really well recruiting, so perhaps she felt her decision to go to Illinois over RU in the first place was the wrong one...

Fair point. We'll see how she fits in. She'll have a year to learn the system...but we're becoming stacked. :D

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Turner was one of my favorite UCONN players. She really maximized her potential. Must have been one heck of a hard worker.

Reaction Score

Not to mention Kalana. Who was a 5'10 forward at Uconn and now in the WNBA. Maybe not "bangers" like Barb and Jamelle, but a "forward" nonetheless.

Sub-6 feet forwards aren't all that uncommon in WCBB

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
This is what CVS said about Alexis

“We are excited to welcome Alexis to our Scarlet Knight family,” said Stringer. “Alexis is a pro-size guard who is very versatile, and has the ability to play both the guard and forward positions. She also has great range and a strong desire to learn. With Alexis’ experience in the Big Ten and under Jolette [Law], she should be light years ahead of understanding parts of our system here at Rutgers. We are optimistic that she will have an immediate impact on our team.”

So it looks like CVS wants her to be a guard. :p

http://www.scarletknights.com/basketball-women/news/release.asp?prID=11848#.T79gpMVL6g4

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Sounds like CVS is looking at her as a wing.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score

I know UConn has been on a recruiting tear recently, but being ranked 50th coming out of high school is still pretty terrific. I don't think anyone thinks she's going to come to RU and light it up, but as someone who already has two years of experience in a major conference, with a former RU coach, with a red shirt year, she'll probably be more prepared than most to contribute in 2013. Also, considering RU isn't that far away from years when there were less than 10 people on the roster, any depth is a good thing.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I know UConn has been on a recruiting tear recently, but being ranked 50th coming out of high school is still pretty terrific. I don't think anyone thinks she's going to come to RU and light it up, but as someone who already has two years of experience in a major conference, with a former RU coach, with a red shirt year, she'll probably be more prepared than most to contribute in 2013. Also, considering RU isn't that far away from years when there were less than 10 people on the roster, any depth is a good thing.
Plus RU has a lot of highly rated kids on the roster. Someone needs to be the role player, a description that UConn fans know is far from an insult. Some of UConn's most valuable, and beloved, current and former player are role players (see: Kelly Faris).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom