Rumor: Warde Manuel- Virginia Tech AD Finalist | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Rumor: Warde Manuel- Virginia Tech AD Finalist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn just plain did not have the votes....and they may not in the future if the voting blocks do not agree.

FSU, Clemson, Miami, VT, BC, and Louisville are now a voting block.

(The Louisville AD has credited FSU for assisting in their ACC entrance)

I am not saying that UConn would not be invited, only that they would have to have the support of the non Tobacco Road voting block.

And Swofford can sell if he has something to sell.

...The probable revenue realization, as counseled by ESPN, of different additions would play in.

...pods or division realignment could play in (FSU still is adamant about not having another NE program in its division along with BC and Syracuse) while not playing GT.

...Notre Dame's whispered wishes might play in if the ACC still has any faith that the Irish might eventually play as an ACC team.

Reaction Score
This idiot contrary to his denial is looking elsewhere. Fire is ass tonight we do not need to resurrect him to importance. UCONN contrary to many is a destination and a class athletic department. We hold on to our people for the most part. This guy is another Edsall. His credibility is lost do not defend him or his actions.

Reaction Score
The Big Ten is already the best basketball conference in America. Were the B1G to add UConn and Kansas, it would put a dagger in the ACC's bread & butter and make it the biggest joke conference in America.
Imagine how packed MSG would be for the Big Ten Conference final between UConn and Kansas.

Reaction Score
Imagine how packed MSG would be for the Big Ten Conference final between UConn and Kansas.

I shudder to think about Kansas, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan St., UConn, Ohio St., Maryland and Purdue going at it during the regular season.

Poor Nebraska, Northwestern, Penn State and Rutgers.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Probably no more packed than say a UConn/Pitt Conference final. MSG Can only hold so many people. Capacity is capacity.

Reaction Score
This idiot contrary to his denial is looking elsewhere. Fire is ass tonight we do not need to resurrect him to importance. UCONN contrary to many is a destination and a class athletic department. We hold on to our people for the most part. This guy is another Edsall. His credibility is lost do not defend him or his actions.

It's always amazing what you can learn from the well written and well reasoned posts that show up here from time to time.

By the way -- are we at the point in history where bringing FHCRE into an argument can be viewed as the equivalent as bringing up the Nazis? We've had three full seasons, and are on our third head coach, since he left.

Reaction Score

IF somehow the B1G added Kansas and UConn and then split into a geographically based pair of 8 team divisions, I think the B1G would keep the two Michigan school together and then split the Indiana schools with Purdue going east and Indiana going West to keep the East from being too loaded. That would make a 18 game conference schedule (2x games [home & home] against a 4 teams in same division [UConn v. Rutgers, Penn St & Maryland] plus 1x game against other 4 from same division & 1x against each team from other division. To sell UConn to the B1G, UConn should be willing to play 1 marquee ‘home’ conference game at MSG or Barclay’s annually (pick from Kansas, Indiana, Michigan & Michigan St). UConn can then have 2 other conference games in Hartford during winter break and that leaves 6 conference home games on campus at the new Basketball/Hockey area (UnitedHealthcare, Cigna & Aetna can all join together and call it the ‘Obamacare’ Pavilion in honor of all of the money and UConn grads hired by the 3 to manage that thing). In addition, schedule 2 additional non-conf conference games on Campus and 2 more in Hartford (1 over winter break, 1 over Thanksgiving break), 1 in Bridgeport, and 1 in NYC (marquee, maybe a B1G v. ACC). If UConn survives that schedule and the B1G tourney at MSG, would be well honed for the NCAA. Not bad a bad dream at all.

Husky25

Reaction Score
That's what I say about my liver and I still somehow manage to find space for one more shot of tequila…
LOL. My guess is that that final shot forces a previous shot out of the building consumed earlier in the night, or sparks a mass exodus with that one more shot leading out the way it came in...

Reaction Score
LOL. My guess is that that final shot forces a previous shot out of the building consumed earlier in the night, or sparks a mass exodus with that one more shot leading out the way it came in...

…and, just in case, New York Presbyterian is rated as one of the best hospitals in the US for liver transplants :cool:

Reaction Score
Sports Commentary – Jan. 23, 2014 – Warde Manuel Is Staying Put…
http://connecticut.cbslocal.com/201...ng-put/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

>>While he did come away from the recent NCAA meetings in San Diego acknowleging the existence of the “Power Five” leagues, that the AAC is not one of them, and that they are poised to create their own, elite level of the NCAA, Manuel’s not likely to be forced to the back seat if he stays put. With four of the five already outlining a 16 team footprint for the future of the power leagues, the Big Ten has put itself in a precarious position, similar to the one that spelled the demise of the Big East, by ignoring the handwriting on the wall. As the one league that has resisted an expansion to 16, the Big Ten could find itself as the weak sister of the five.

The clock is not only ticking on UCONN, or any other team not in a “Power Five” league, it’s ticking on the Big Ten and the alarm could go off as early as the end of this academic year. There are few programs in the nation right now that are as good a fit with the Big Ten, athletically, academically and geographically, as UCONN. Adding the Huskies at this point would in no way diminish the Big Ten’s reputation, it would only enhance their status in the new level of the NCAA. For the first time since the restructuring of the NCAA began a decade ago, with the defections of Miami, Boston College and Virginia Tech from the Big East to the ACC, one of those power leagues may need UCONN at least as much as UCONN needs them.

Warde Manuel may be on the move to one of the power leagues, but in all probability he’ll be taking UCONN along with him.

With a comment from the sports world, I’m Scott Gray.<<

We can only prayer (to whoever you pray to)...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I wonder how old some of the Boneyard posters are...

And if their mental age even matches their real age.

Reaction Score
It's always amazing what you can learn from the well written and well reasoned posts that show up here from time to time.

By the way -- are we at the point in history where bringing FHCRE into an argument can be viewed as the equivalent as bringing up the Nazis? We've had three full seasons, and are on our third head coach, since he left.

Let's also not forget that Edsall was, objectively, the best coach we've ever had, that he was here for 12 years, and that he left the program in a far better position than he found it.

In terms of success while on the job in Connecticut, we can only hope that Warde is another Edsall.

Reaction Score
Sports Commentary – Jan. 23, 2014 – Warde Manuel Is Staying Put…
http://connecticut.cbslocal.com/201...ng-put/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

>>With four of the five already outlining a 16 team footprint for the future of the power leagues, the Big Ten has put itself in a precarious position, similar to the one that spelled the demise of the Big East, by ignoring the handwriting on the wall. As the one league that has resisted an expansion to 16, the Big Ten could find itself as the weak sister of the five.

I'm confused, how is the B1G the weak sister of the 5, and how are they in a precarious situation?

Wouldn't the one league that has resisted expansion to 16 be the Big 12? or better yet haven't they all resisted expansion to 16 at this point?

Reaction Score
I'm confused, how is the B1G the weak sister of the 5, and how are they in a precarious situation?

Wouldn't the one league that has resisted expansion to 16 be the Big 12? or better yet haven't they all resisted expansion to 16 at this point?

Whattayawantmetotellya - Call Scott Gray w/ a comment from the BY World.;)

Husky25

Reaction Score
Reading this again, I think when he refers to the B10 he is referring to the B12 not the B1G.
"There are few programs in the nation right now that are as good a fit with the Big Ten, athletically, academically and geographically, as UCONN. Adding the Huskies at this point would in no way diminish the Big Ten’s reputation..."

He's referring the Michigan Big Ten that has 14 teams, not the Big 12 that only has 10. UConn does not fit with the Big 12 academically or geographically.

Reaction Score
"With four of the five already outlining a 16 team footprint for the future of the power leagues" what? Where did this come from? I want to believe but I really don't think Scott Gray knows what he's talking about.

The optimist in me wants to believe Warde spoon fed this story to Scott Gray and all of the leagues sans the B12 are preparing to expand to 16. He clearly butchered the story confusing leagues, the B1G is nobody's weak sister.

If 4 of the 5 leagues are going to 16 we are golden. If we are left out of that round of expansion it will be time to secede from the union.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
All I can say, is I like Warde. His hirings have been inspiring instead of the opposite. He was AD when the BB practice facility got off the ground/finally comes fruition. I was disappointed in what I perceived as passiveness when the last round of expansion took place, but at the same time he was green as an AD compared to his main competitor. He is articulate and to the point, there is nothing vague when he takes the mic, which I appreciate. I expect that when the next round of expansion happens, he will be advising Herbst on how the university should be reacting and not the other way around. All in all, I feel Warde knows what is at stake, and what were up against. Time will tell how effective he is, but his hires and Hockey East thing at least give me some hope.

Reaction Score
"With four of the five already outlining a 16 team footprint for the future of the power leagues" what? Where did this come from? I want to believe but I really don't think Scott Gray knows what he's talking about.

If blogs were around in the 1970s, I'm convinced that Scott Gray would have been one of the best bloggers out there. That doesn't mean there's a lick of truth to this story, of course.

He overlooks the obvious, clear and simple point that in order for a league to grow from 14 to 16 schools, 14 schools need to reach the economic conclusion that they need to add two more. Until that happens, no league will expand.

Also, the Big Ten doesn't get pushed around by anyone. The Big Ten pushes people around. They'll move if and when they want to move, and not a day sooner.

Reaction Score
If blogs were around in the 1970s, I'm convinced that Scott Gray would have been one of the best bloggers out there. That doesn't mean there's a lick of truth to this story, of course.

He overlooks the obvious, clear and simple point that in order for a league to grow from 14 to 16 schools, 14 schools need to reach the economic conclusion that they need to add two more. Until that happens, no league will expand.

Also, the Big Ten doesn't get pushed around by anyone. The Big Ten pushes people around. They'll move if and when they want to move, and not a day sooner.

A little OT but inline with last page of posts: Serious question: Help me understand why more isn't better. Why doesn't the B1G want to have 16 teams? If it is an economic conclusion and that more teams = more $ for the conference and members, what possibly is the reason to sit at 14 schools? To agree that it does make sense and hold off to find the partner or set of partners when it could be years away doesn't seem overly rational in this day and age of take the money now and work with it.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be nice if it was a writer from somewhere else stating our case, and not just a writer who cheers for UConn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom