Rumor: Warde Manuel- Virginia Tech AD Finalist | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Rumor: Warde Manuel- Virginia Tech AD Finalist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A little OT but inline with last page of posts: Serious question: Help me understand why more isn't better. Why doesn't the B1G want to have 16 teams? If it is an economic conclusion and that more teams = more $ for the conference and members, what possibly is the reason to sit at 14 schools? To agree that it does make sense and hold off to find the partner or set of partners when it could be years away doesn't seem overly rational in this day and age of take the money now and work with it.

This is all my opinion, but it's money pro-rata. If the Big Ten could figure out how to add another Michigan, they'd add six of them.

When you have a pie with 14 slices, everyone gets 7.14% of it. When you take 16 slices out, everyone gets 6.25% of it.

In order to break even on bumping up from 14 to 16 (i.e., for everyone to get the same amount of pie), then the pie itself has to grow in size by 16/14 = 1 2/14 or 14.3%.

I'm not sure that there are two teams that can be added in order to increase the Big Ten's TV money pot by 14.3%. Possible candidates are Notre Dame and Texas.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
CTGoonie said:
Wow. That is the first time I've seen that article. He clearly had some inside info. Let's hope we are still on the B1G's radar.
he wasn't the only guy saying we should be the pick for the big to go to 12. Lest we forget Colin cowherd w/ supposedly insider news. Also cbs' Dodd said we should be the first pick after ND. We had some support and then we fell off a cliff in the national media.

Reaction Score
he wasn't the only guy saying we should be the pick for the big to go to 12. Lest we forget Colin cowherd w/ supposedly insider news. Also cbs' Dodd said we should be the first pick after ND. We had some support and then we fell off a cliff in the national media.

The only media person to pay attention to when it comes to the B1G is Teddy Greenstein from the Chicago Tribune. He is wired into the B1G HQ in Chicago.

When Teddy says UConn is going to the B1G it's time to start the party

Reaction Score
No doubt, UConn would be the most beneficial add to the ACC. They may have been the most beneficial add the last two rounds as well, but it didn't happen. But I think you are probably right, FSU used its leverage and UNC/UVa/Duke will get their way the next time. None of the possible candidates are peer schools to UNC/UVa except UConn. It would be hard to see them going with anyone else.

My point exactly. There is no other choice. Even the most hardcore FSU or Clemson fan has to see what UConn can bring, in terms of eyeballs, academics, and, Olympic and women's sports, which are a big deal to us.

What do you think of the relaxation of championship rules/divisional structure Swofford is pushing for? Opening up a 15-school football league? Do you think that will bring about an invitation to UConn?

I really like the idea. He is simply looking for a way to have all 14 teams play each other on a much more regular basis. The idea floated by Syracuse AD Gross makes a lot of sense to me. Each team would have three permanent opponents. Using UNC as the example, ours would be UVA, NCSU, and, Duke. Then, we would play five of the remaining 10 ACC teams one season, and, the other five the next. So, we'd play everybody home-and-home every four years. Thats a win-win for everybody. It creates more games between teams that would generate TV viewers, and, more ticket money for the schools themselves. Games like FSU-GT, Clemson-VPI, etc, would do that very thing.

It also would mean that the northern ACC teams have more regular appearances vs the Southern schools currently outside of their divisions, which would help their recruiting. Thats a big thing schools like Cuse and BC wanted addressed. That for sure helps them out.

As for ND, I do not think that their games are included in that particular scheduling layout. It seems like they're still treated as an OOC game. Which is fine by me, since they're not all-in for football, anyway.

With FSU's and CU's fears of the ACC being left out of the future 4-team playoff allayed, I think both would be much more receptive to UConn now. And, if they are convinced, those who sided with them would be, too. I think Swofford will talk to them about that. I really do. I am probably very annoying with my positivity on this, but, the plusses outweigh the minuses, and, its not close. There should be no more objections about UConn. Not even from BC.

Ideally, if the ACC goes to 16 teams, the league will go to a 9-game conference schedule, and, four 4-team pods. Which means that you could still play everybody else in the league outside of your pod home-and-home every four years by playing those teams in your pod, and, two teams from each of the other three. That would be a hugely fun time.

Reaction Score
The only media person to pay attention to when it comes to the B1G is Teddy Greenstein from the Chicago Tribune. He is wired into the B1G HQ in Chicago.

When Teddy says UConn is going to the B1G it's time to start the party

Funny you should mention him. I emailed him after he wrote an article last year on B1G expansion candidates. He discounted Uconn because of stadium size. I basically told him that wouldn't be an issue. His response was "I think Uconn to the Big Ten is a bit of a stretch, but if Delany & his partners do want to expand again, the school would definitely be part of the conversation. It will help immensely if Uconn joins the AAU."

Reaction Score
This would not surprise me at all. It would be one rational way of explaining how those who supported UConn, both inside and outside the Commissioners Office, went along with Louisville instead so quickly and quietly.

The perception that the ACC's survival was in jeopardy will not be a factor in the next expansion vote. That was a huge overriding factor last time, IMHO.

The league is solid, and, FSU and CU know that winning the league will not see them automatically left out of any future playoff, which was a major concern of theirs, and, rightly so.

Reaction Score
He discounted Uconn because of stadium size. It will help immensely if Uconn joins the AAU."

It doesnt take a genius to relate all of the academic goings on----STEM, hiring of professors, campus expansion, facilities and infrastructure enhancements, laser focus (long overdue) on the endowment----and not see where it's all headed--straight for AAU. It's not a slam dunk that all of this will be enough to become a member of that exclusive fraternity of universities, but it looks good to me. Couple that with our exponentially more competent and creative leadership both at the presidential and AD level and you have a recipe for success on the realignment front. Stadium too small? Does anyone think that the Diaco effect won't result in a heightened enthusiasm for the football experience at The Rent? It will take a year or two to generate the appropraite buzz and on-field success but it's not a leap for me to picture WM and SH announcing proposed plans for stadium expansion with all the drawings to peak the interest of the P-5. All of this extraordinary effort and spending by UConn doesn't have the look or feel of a pollyanna ride toward an intractable brick wall. We seem to be marching ahead with a purpose and enthusiasm born of anticipated success at the end of the road. Am I crazy?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It doesnt take a genius to relate all of the academic goings on----STEM, hiring of professors, campus expansion, facilities and infrastructure enhancements, laser focus (long overdue) on the endowment----and not see where it's all headed--straight for AAU. It's not a slam dunk that all of this will be enough to become a member of that exclusive fraternity of universities, but it looks good to me. Couple that with our exponentially more competent and creative leadership both at the presidential and AD level and you have a recipe for success on the realignment front. Stadium too small? Does anyone think that the Diaco effect won't result in a heightened enthusiasm for the football experience at The Rent? It will take a year or two to generate the appropraite buzz and on-field success but it's not a leap for me to picture WM and SH announcing proposed plans for stadium expansion with all the drawings to peak the interest of the P-5. All of this extraordinary effort and spending by UConn doesn't have the look or feel of a pollyanna ride toward an intractable brick wall. We seem to be marching ahead with a purpose and enthusiasm born of anticipated success at the end of the road. Am I crazy?
I may be a bit cynical, but I can envision a scenario where Susan realizes that increased focus and effort in the these targeted areas will be perceived by the athletic supporter as a push for the B1G, so why not pursue the actively since they are in line with her core academic mission?

Reaction Score
Stadium too small? Does anyone think that the Diaco effect won't result in a heightened enthusiasm for the football experience at The Rent? It will take a year or two to generate the appropraite buzz and on-field success but it's not a leap for me to picture WM and SH announcing proposed plans for stadium expansion with all the drawings to peak the interest of the P-5. All of this extraordinary effort and spending by UConn doesn't have the look or feel of a pollyanna ride toward an intractable brick wall. We seem to be marching ahead with a purpose and enthusiasm born of anticipated success at the end of the road. Am I crazy?

Aw, stadium size is not really relevant, IMO. You have a good-sized facility now. If its packed on gameday, and, UConn is performing, nothing else matters.

On both the academic and athletic fronts, its a good time to be a UConn fan/booster.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if WM being at the women's game factored into anything.

The facts are he was at the game to begin with and when given an interview all he could muster was " well, I think they should choose us, but I'm biased."

More so than anything during CR what has killed us is public perception starting with the Fiesta Bowl and spiralling out of control until the night Ville got the nod.

It still shocks me to this day that UConn stood back and just took the abuse about a) winning the BE b) not selling tickets through the school c) getting beat by 28, when VT got beat by 28 too.

Ditto for the old Big East never defending itself as everyone in the world took shots at the conference.

I'm still so angry about everything and it just feels like within even a little but of PR acumen the Big East would still be here and/or UConn would be in a better place.

For fcks sake in 2011 we made the BCS, won a basketball championship, had a top 30 media market, had some reach in NYC, great school academically yet we never sold ourselves, EVER.

What he said times 1,000,000!!

Reaction Score
Aw, stadium size is not really relevant, IMO. You have a good-sized facility now. If its packed on gameday, and, UConn is performing, nothing else matters.

On both the academic and athletic fronts, its a good time to be a UConn fan/booster.

Going to 16 would make scheduling a lot easier for a conference. Conference can split into 4 pods of 4. Each team play the other team in its pod once a year and play the team in other pods once every 2 years. It would make scheduling a lot easier.

Also, UCONN can expand the stadium easily. RENT was design to expand to 50K very easy since it was part of the original architectural design.

Reaction Score

Not really. UConn is on the verge of extinction. Orchestrated by BC. Facilitated by ACC.

Reaction Score
"There are few programs in the nation right now that are as good a fit with the Big Ten, athletically, academically and geographically, as UCONN. Adding the Huskies at this point would in no way diminish the Big Ten’s reputation..."

He's referring the Michigan Big Ten that has 14 teams, not the Big 12 that only has 10. UConn does not fit with the Big 12 academically or geographically.
UT,KU are academically comparable to UConn.

Reaction Score
The perception that the ACC's survival was in jeopardy will not be a factor in the next expansion vote. That was a huge overriding factor last time, IMHO.

The league is solid, and, FSU and CU know that winning the league will not see them automatically left out of any future playoff, which was a major concern of theirs, and, rightly so.
I actually agree the Louisville add was made at a time the future of the league was in question.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
How about ISU? Baylor? Texas Tech? OU? KSU? Mizzou? Okla St? TCU? Or the bastion of academic superiority...West Virginia?

Besides that, the criteria was both academic AND geographic. UConn does not fit one iota with the Big 12 geographically.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

On the academic front and from a university standpoint, it's been exciting decade and a half and the future is blinding.

Athletically, it's been a great 25 years, but the future has been taken out of our hands and that is nothing short of terrifying. The fact that some (many) much lesser lights are perfectly secure while we're on thin ice is mind-boggling.

The idea that all we have to do is win is nothing short of bubbleheaded - we can't win our way out of a situation that we might have won our way into. In 2011, coming off a national title in basketball and a Fiesta Bowl appearance in football...Syracuse and Pittsburgh were invited into the ACC and we weren't.

Although entirely unintentional, the soft, patronizing pats on the head from even well-meaning visitors can grate after a while.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

You missed his point.

UConn is more comparable to Big Ten schools than the largely crappy Big 12 schools.

(Whereas Louisville's president, in a moment of honesty, admitted that his school is much more like the Big 12 academically, i.e. crappy.)

Reaction Score
All I can say, is I like Warde. His hirings have been inspiring instead of the opposite. He was AD when the BB practice facility got off the ground/finally comes fruition. I was disappointed in what I perceived as passiveness when the last round of expansion took place, but at the same time he was green as an AD compared to his main competitor. He is articulate and to the point, there is nothing vague when he takes the mic, which I appreciate. I expect that when the next round of expansion happens, he will be advising Herbst on how the university should be reacting and not the other way around. All in all, I feel Warde knows what is at stake, and what were up against. Time will tell how effective he is, but his hires and Hockey East thing at least give me some hope.
He is the most competent AD we've had since Lou. No question. He was too inexperienced to handle the last round of CR, totally misplayed it, but how can you blame him? We hired a newbie, he performed like a newbie, we got what we paid for: a newbie. Don't blame him because we got what we paid for. Well, he's not a newbie anymore, he learned to play the game on our dime, he'll be a great AD somewhere soon, you have to learn somewhere. We are a good MidMajor place to learn. We're not the big time but we think like the big time. And it will come. Guys like WM will be part of the legacy.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Looks like it will be Babcock. I seriously hate this right now. I am trying to enjoy what has turned out to be a great basketball season and now we've very well could have another guy leaving UC. F&ck this stupid conference. It is going to ruin Cincinnati and UConn...

Reaction Score
On the academic front and from a university standpoint, it's been exciting decade and a half and the future is blinding.

Athletically, it's been a great 25 years, but the future has been taken out of our hands and that is nothing short of terrifying. The fact that some (many) much lesser lights are perfectly secure while we're on thin ice is mind-boggling.

The idea that all we have to do is win is nothing short of bubbleheaded - we can't win our way out of a situation that we might have won our way into. In 2011, coming off a national title in basketball and a Fiesta Bowl appearance in football...Syracuse and Pittsburgh were invited into the ACC and we weren't.

Although entirely unintentional, the soft, patronizing pats on the head from even well-meaning visitors can grate after a while.

Fair enough.

Reaction Score

Well said, Fishy - although we need friends who speak well of us.

I think the better academic institutions in the ACC (save Miami and BC) generally support UConn in CR matters.
UNC, UVA, Wake, Duke, GT all know that the ACC sold a bit of its soul to take Louisville and I believe they are concerned about it. They know that the long term prospects for UConn are on a great trajectory and we would be a great add for either the B1G or the ACC.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Well said, Fishy - although we need friends who speak well of us.

I think the better academic institutions in the ACC (save Miami and BC) generally support UConn in CR matters.
UNC, UVA, Wake, Duke, GT all know that the ACC sold a bit of its soul to take Louisville and I believe they are concerned about it. They know that the long term prospects for UConn are on a great trajectory and we would be a great add for either the B1G or the ACC.
Hopefully it's the Big Ten.

Reaction Score
According to the 2014 USN&WR rankings for National Universities, UConn would be ranked # 9 in the ACC (#57 ranking)...

Behind Duke, ND, Va., Wake, UNC, BC, GT, and Miami...

...and five places ahead of VT, Pitt, Clemson, and Cuse who are all tied at #62.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom