Rumor: Warde Manuel- Virginia Tech AD Finalist | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Rumor: Warde Manuel- Virginia Tech AD Finalist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's a fine school, but the football is trending down and may trend sharply down when Beamer retires. As a brand, they don't come close. I've lived in CA and the midwest and I've seen UConn hats and shirts routinely in LA, San Jose, Seattle and elsewhere. VT is non-existent outside Virginia. Check their merchandising. They don't even make the top 75, so are behind Montana State and James Madison. I'm sure Warde would view Purdue and Rutgers more favorably.
Did you read the rankings? They are ahead of us! We are ranked 53rd and they are 27th. Made my arguement

Reaction Score
"nor have I been contacted by Virginia Tech"

Duh, search firms exist so you can say this lawyerese.

Probably nothing, but as someone who reads a ton of lawyer written documents professionally, it seemed odd to me.

Reaction Score
VT is not a mediocre school, it is a good school. I would be shocked if there are meaningful differences in the average SAT etc between us and VT...t

I lo0ked it up. Average combined SAT of accepted incoming students:
UCONN 1820
VT 1820

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Did you read the rankings? They are ahead of us! We are ranked 53rd and they are 27th. Made my arguement

My mistake, missed it.

Reaction Score
Looks like you're on the clock then Scooter!

Manuel was quoted as saying this a short time ago..."I am not a candidate, have not been interviewed nor have I been contacted by Virginia Tech about its Director of Athletics position despite some recent media reports. I am very happy as the Director of Athletics at UConn and look forward to continuing to work with President Herbst, my coaches, staff, student-athletes, donors and fans to enjoy a high level of continued success in athletics at UConn. I wish Virginia Tech all the best in their search to replace, one of the legends in our business, Jim Weaver.”

Sorry you didn't get your wish of him leaving...but I think there a lot of Husky fans who think he has done a great job and are happy he's staying! The constant moaning of some "fans" just gets ridiculous at times.
I am too, but I was really commenting on these statements. It isn't that uncommon for a coach or AD to pledge his undying loyalty at 2 o'clock and announce he's leaving at 4:30. This osunds like a pretty firm denial by WM, alas, but I recall Edsall telling us he'd be here as long as Uconn would have him. Didn't the new Louisville coach announce he was staying at UL then announce he was going to the NFL in the same day a few years ago?

Reaction Score
I am too, but I was really commenting on these statements. It isn't that uncommon for a coach or AD to pledge his undying loyalty at 2 o'clock and announce he's leaving at 4:30. This osunds like a pretty firm denial by WM, alas, but I recall Edsall telling us he'd be here as long as Uconn would have him. Didn't the new Louisville coach announce he was staying at UL then announce he was going to the NFL in the same day a few years ago?
That was Bobby Petrino...when you have no morals or ethics...you can say whatever you want! Heck...if you wait long enough....the very people you lied to years earlier...might even hire you back! :rolleyes:

Warde is definitely not from Petrino-world! He has class, pride in his reputation and integrity as well!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Average BY post:
"I was looking up at the sun and a cloud moved in the way. I think the sun may be gone!"
"You know I read somewhere that the sun is going to burn out someday."
"Stupid the NCAA never lets UConn get any sunshine anyway."
"All I know is - Ed Cooley needs a hat."
Chorus - "We are doomed!"

page 5 - Reporter tweets that the cloud has moved and the sun is still there.

Fixed it for you.

Reaction Score

There's a world of difference between a non-denial denial and what Warde said.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I lo0ked it up. Average combined SAT of accepted incoming students:
UCONN 1820
VT 1820
Holy Crap. I couldn't get into UConn today. I scored a meager 1,140. These kids are averaging extra credit!!! :confused::cool:

Reaction Score
James Franklin:
"I am still the head coach at Vanderbilt for another two hours."
Again...it's all about the integrity of the guy making the statement. Franklin may be a good coach...but he's demonstrated that his ethics can be bent to fit the particular situation he's in at the time.

Reaction Score
The way he handled the last ACC expansion and the KO hiring, I would not be too sad if he left. He made a great hire in Diaco, but sometimes I think he's in over his head.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Holy Crap. I couldn't get into UConn today. I scored a meager 1,140. These kids are averaging extra credit!!! :confused::cool:

Was that when the SATs only went up to 1600?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Was that when the SATs only went up to 1600?
I thought my emoticons would convey a proper level of sarcasm...perhaps not?;)

Reaction Score
My sarcasm meter went full bore, so yeah some of us got it.;) But it is harder to get into UConn these days. For example, in 2009 my daughter got accepted to Trinity College and wait-listed at UConn.

Reaction Score

People should not be surpised about this. Until we get past this ConferenceUSA Redux that we're in, any of our Athletic staff will seriosly consider moving to a P5 opportunity. Ollie, Diaco, Warde, etc - this isn't a destination place anymore, regardless of how we fans feel about it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Good sarcasm doesn't use emoticons. Sarcasm isn't really sarcasm when you know it's sarcasm.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Good sarcasm doesn't use emoticons. Sarcasm isn't really sarcasm when you know it's sarcasm.
He'd still bea stretch. On the 1600 scale (not including the writing score) UConn's current class averaged 1233.
Wow...That's puddle deep. I had great extra-curriculars and I aced the interview.;)

Reaction Score
Why the hell would VT or any P5 school want an AD who was in charge of the only athletic department that got completely screwed in conference realignment?

Reaction Score
The way he handled the last ACC expansion and the KO hiring, I would not be too sad if he left. He made a great hire in Diaco, but sometimes I think he's in over his head.

How exactly was he supposed to handle the KO hiring?

Husky25

Reaction Score
How exactly was he supposed to handle the KO hiring?
Didn't you know that Manuel was supposed to do an exhaustive coaching search 20 days before Midnight Madness? Where have you been for the last year and a half!?!?!?:eek:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
maybe as a plant to vote UConn into the acc? don't even know if I would want to go there anymore. why should UConn go there to bolster their bb image? and if he went, how much would the rock star be missed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom