Rumor: Warde Manuel- Virginia Tech AD Finalist | The Boneyard

Rumor: Warde Manuel- Virginia Tech AD Finalist

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Is that even a better job? VT is hardly among the more highly thought of universities out there, despite some decent football (which seems to be past). UVA sure, I could see that, but VT? Not an upgrade.

Reaction Score
does that mean he's interviewed?
He's been here for roughly two years?

He can't help if his name get's on a list, but if he's out there looking for an opportunity, let him look full-time and fine someone that wants to be AD of Uconn.

Reaction Score
So what happens when Warde doesn't get the job? We have an AD that is looking to flee which tells me he doesn't think we will get to a P5 conference.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
What did Lew Perkins do after the first BE raid? VT must have set the bar pretty low.

Reaction Score
Sounds like Edsall.

You guys are jumping without seeing the bottom. Search committees usually put lists together and then ask for permission to interview. It might be good for uconn to know that other similarly situated schools are holding an eye on him. Now, if he is contacted and agreed for an interview that would be big. Big if he were to take an offer from such a school (a lateral move!). Unless of course Susan H has a 'bigger' name on her desk. If not, what a mess for the entire school. Of course it would be a disaster if he interviewed and not get it. How would he spin it? My view is: Diaco and co are out of here if the AD jump-- perhaps with him. No. Warde is here to build and will consider a top job after he has shown what he can do.

Reaction Score
You guys are jumping without seeing the bottom. Search committees usually put lists together and then ask for permission to interview. It might be good for uconn to know that other similarly situated schools are holding an eye on him. Now, if he is contacted and agreed for an interview that would be big. Big if he were to take an offer from such a school (a lateral move!). Unless of course Susan H has a 'bigger' name on her desk. If not, what a mess for the entire school. Of course it would be a disaster if he interviewed and not get it. How would he spin it? My view is: Diaco and co are out of here if the AD jump-- perhaps with him. No. Warde is here to build and will consider a top job after he has shown what he can do.

This isn't how it works at universities for administrators. The searches are hush-hush, lock and key. The people on the committees keep it lock tight.

Also, there is no asking for permission. That never happens.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Diaco is here until he proves something. I would assume the same applies to Warde. How the hell does he go with Warde to VT? Frank Beamer getting canned anytime soon?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Talk about a list that is all over the place. I hope VT didn't pay any search firm to whittle down the candidate list. A blind monkey could throw schitt on a wall and come up with a more coherent pattern.

It's almost as if they said they wanted one candidate each from several different backgrounds.

The finalist list from the original blog:

Chris Plonsky Texas Women's Director of Athletics, Warde Manuel UConn AD, Michael Kelly Chief Operating Officer at College Football Playoff, Whit Babcock University of Cincinnati AD, Jeff Bourne JMU AD, and John Ballein

Reaction Score

Perhaps with him? So Warde is going to take an unproven coach and replace Beamer and his staff with him?

OOOOOOOOK.......

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That's deadly that this news has been made public.
This isn't how it works at universities for administrators. The searches are hush-hush, lock and key. The people on the committees keep it lock tight.

Also, there is no asking for permission. That never happens.

The question that needs to be answered is which side leaked it? If it came from WM's camp, very bad news. If it came from VT or their search firm, I would think that any candidate would have second thoughts.

Reaction Score
Its called leverage. Its always beneficial to get your name on a list because it usually means a bump in compensation where you currently are.

Dangerous game to play at his level. Especially for a younger person.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sounds like Edsall.

Gotta give him the benefit of the doubt on the first one. Who knows how these lists get leaked.

However, if this becomes an annual event, yup. One in the same.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don't fault WM or anyone for leaving for more money.

It's just another reason why I like the guys that gave some ties to the school in charge of our school.

WM obviously is doing his best, but without the sweat equity into a school, there's just no attachment beyond a job.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The source doubts his source. That tells me everything I need to know, regardless of what Jacobs wants to claim.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
If Warde is pursuing a P5 opportunity, it should close the book on any beliefs that there are imminent plans for a P5 conference to acquire UConn. Warde would have a job for life navigating the AD back to the big time, and with that advantage VT is not an upgrade over UConn.

Here's hoping the interest is one sided, and not from WM.

Reaction Score
We Take The Stairs ‏@NoEscalators 29m
For what it's worth, the head of VTech's search firm is Todd Turner, who once worked at UConn.

Not sure what kind of impact that would have on Warde, but here's something about Todd Turner and the search from December:
http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-blog/dp-teel-time-todd-virginia-tech,0,3173772.post

Search firms run by folks such as Turner and former Virginia Tech athletic director Dave Braine don’t make hiring decisions. Rather they connect schools with potential candidates, working discreetly through third parties such as agents. In theory, this keeps names from leaking to prying media pests.

Doesn't seem like that worked too well, now, did it?

Reaction Score
What makes this a better job than UConn? No academic standards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom