Rumor: Warde Manuel- Virginia Tech AD Finalist | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rumor: Warde Manuel- Virginia Tech AD Finalist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Its called leverage. Its always beneficial to get your name on a list because it usually means a bump in compensation where you currently are.

It didn't work for Edsall. He got no bump and a worse job.

Reaction Score
If he promises to take the new Husky logo and the football helmets, I'll personally drive him to Blacksburg.

Reaction Score
We have no idea what Warde is thinking (if anything), but this is the perception.

Our perception: This is a lateral move, at best
VT's perception: This is a big step up

National media/fan's perception: VT and Warde would both consider this a step up, thus UConn is an athletic program on the way out

The first two don't matter, the last one does. And whether or not Warde actually leaves, the fact that this is out publicly furthers the idea that we're a second-tier program. There's been a lot of news and commentary along those lines, with little to counter it, and this only makes it worse.

Reaction Score
Perhaps I'm a bit naive but does this indicate mutual interest? Is it possible that he hasn't even thought about a change and this is just VT wanting to interview him because they think he's a good candidate?

Or do you have to throw your hat in the ring for these kinds of things?

Reaction Score
So let me get this right. A reporter for the Courant is using a blogger as his source for a story of this magnitude. Furthermore, the blogger is openly questioning the validity of his source for this "rumor". Then the Boneyard posters are taking off with this, as if it's fact, questioning why Warde would do this, assuming it must have something to do with our future, some even insulting him personally as well. Finally some are using it to bash our university further. This is crazy! As for me, when we get some "news", then it can be addressed. In the meantime, what a waste of time and energy!

Reaction Score
Warde is going to leave Uconn for the first P5 job he can get. Why is everyone surprised here? And as it stands now, VT is a step up from Uconn as an AD job.

Reaction Score
Jacobs is just trying to flush Warde out. The blogger apparently is well trusted as a top source for VT stuff, that's why Jacobs went with it.

I expect Warde to deny this sometime today, and if he doesn't... well...

Reaction Score
Jacobs is just trying to flush Warde out. The blogger apparently is well trusted as a top source for VT stuff, that's why Jacobs went with it.

I expect Warde to deny this sometime today, and if he doesn't... well...
Right. But even if he denies it, doesn't mean he isn't going to turn up in Blacksburg in a couple of weeks.

Reaction Score
Average BY post:
"I was looking up at the sun and a cloud moved in the way. I think the sun may be gone!"
"You know I read somewhere that the sun is going to burn out someday."
"Stupid the NCAA never lets UConn get any sunshine anyway."
"All I know is - somebody needs a hat."
Chorus - "We are doomed!"

page 5 - Reporter tweets that the cloud has moved and the sun is still there.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Warde is going to leave Uconn for the first P5 job he can get. Why is everyone surprised here? And as it stands now, VT is a step up from Uconn as an AD job.

Nonsense. It isn't. The conference is one aspect of the situation for an AD. Who is the President? What are the facilities like? Who are your coaches? Does the school have any brand equity? What are your revenues? What kind of history do you have?

VT is a mediocre school, with no athletic history to speak of except a good run from Frank Beamer, who is 67 and won't be around long . The brand is zilch. It's probably the least appealing school in the ACC. It is less appealing than any school in the B1G or SEC. Maybe Washington State would be worse in the Pac. UConn is much more recognizable nationally as a brand. I would be shocked if Warde left UConn for VT. I could see the Cinci AD (also on the list) making the jump however. Warde will hold out for a B1G job, that's his part of the country and where he wants to be.

Reaction Score
Were there is smoke there is fire.
Did we actually expect to keep a Rock Star?
Lock at the bright side we gain a possible ally in the ACC football group.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Average BY post:
"I was looking up at the sun and a cloud moved in the way. I think the sun may be gone!"
"You know I read somewhere that the sun is going to burn out someday."
"Stupid the NCAA never lets UConn get any sunshine anyway."
"All I know is - somebody needs a hat."
Chorus - "We are doomed!"

page 5 - Reporter tweets that the cloud has moved and the sun is still there.

And it's always Warde's fault. In this case, his largeness has blocked out the sun at UConn ... for good.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Not a good idea insulting WM here.

That said, if he did leave, what's an option? Offer the Cincy AD the job? And if he takes it at least we know we're in better shape than them?

Reaction Score
If true, that is a very bad omen. He's seen the future and it is bleak for UConn getting into a P5.

Cripes.

Reaction Score
Has a reporter come out yet and said "We've tried to contact Warde and he is not returning calls".

Because of this that's the case, well

Reaction Score
Nonsense. It isn't. The conference is one aspect of the situation for an AD. Who is the President? What are the facilities like? Who are your coaches? Does the school have any brand equity? What are your revenues? What kind of history do you have?

VT is a mediocre school, with no athletic history to speak of except a good run from Frank Beamer, who is 67 and won't be around long . The brand is zilch. It's probably the least appealing school in the ACC. It is less appealing than any school in the B1G or SEC. Maybe Washington State would be worse in the Pac. UConn is much more recognizable nationally as a brand. I would be shocked if Warde left UConn for VT. I could see the Cinci AD (also on the list) making the jump however. Warde will hold out for a B1G job, that's his part of the country and where he wants to be.
VT is not a mediocre school, it is a good school. I would be shocked if there are meaningful differences in the average SAT etc between us and VT...I'll leave the details to someone like Upstater who most likely knows. Facilities (football) are good. Their brand is all about football and ours is basketball...both are national brands. Less appealing then Wake? Purdue? Rutgers? They pack 65K to 70K every home game and they travel pretty darn well...the stadium actually shakes when they enter, place goes crazy to Enter the Sandman. They are a P5 conference...we are not

Reaction Score
VT is not a mediocre school, it is a good school. I would be shocked if there are meaningful differences in the average SAT etc between us and VT...I'll leave the details to someone like Upstater who most likely knows. Facilities (football) are good. Their brand is all about football and ours is basketball...both are national brands. Less appealing then Wake? Purdue? Rutgers? They pack 65K to 70K every home game and they travel pretty darn well...the stadium actually shakes when they enter, place goes crazy to Enter the Sandman. They are a P5 conference...we are not

Football rules. VT = football.

I can't imagine that academics matter anywhere anymore.

Someone tweeted that Shabazz was in their Physics class this morning at 8 am.

All of this stuff boggles my mind.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

It's a fine school, but the football is trending down and may trend sharply down when Beamer retires. As a brand, they don't come close. I've lived in CA and the midwest and I've seen UConn hats and shirts routinely in LA, San Jose, Seattle and elsewhere. VT is non-existent outside Virginia. Check their merchandising. They don't even make the top 75, so are behind Montana State and James Madison. I'm sure Warde would view Purdue and Rutgers more favorably.

Reaction Score
Right. But even if he denies it, doesn't mean he isn't going to turn up in Blacksburg in a couple of weeks.
Looks like you're on the clock then Scooter!

Manuel was quoted as saying this a short time ago..."I am not a candidate, have not been interviewed nor have I been contacted by Virginia Tech about its Director of Athletics position despite some recent media reports. I am very happy as the Director of Athletics at UConn and look forward to continuing to work with President Herbst, my coaches, staff, student-athletes, donors and fans to enjoy a high level of continued success in athletics at UConn. I wish Virginia Tech all the best in their search to replace, one of the legends in our business, Jim Weaver.”

Sorry you didn't get your wish of him leaving...but I think there are a lot of Husky fans who think he has done a great job and are happy he's staying! The constant moaning of some "fans" just gets ridiculous at times.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog