Rumor- UCONN Pursuing ACC Membership? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Rumor- UCONN Pursuing ACC Membership?

Reaction Score
You don’t have the right to terminate a contract merely because it was a bad economic deal for you and you’ve now determined that you could do better. Business couldn’t operate if it were that easy to walk away. However, parties to a contract can walk away from a contract and pay the innocent party the amount that the innocent party has been damaged by the breach, and if that amount is far less than what the breaching party can make by walking away — well, that happens all the time.
Yeah, that's what I figure would be the final scenario/hoop that FSU would jump through to get out. It just seems like they believe (rightly or wrongly) they have some angle to get out early. Seems they're getting more desperate and god knows what desperate people think and do.

Reaction Score
How do you come to a number for the non breaching party or parties? An ACC without Florida State is a product that is going to attract less money when their contract goes to market again.
There is not a one sentence — or even one page — answer I can give you on calculating damages that will help. But juries take their shot at it on a daily basis and do the best they can. The fact that you can’t know with metaphysical certainty that any one amount is the “right” amount doesn’t stop judges and juries from having to do the best they can.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How do you come to a number for the non breaching party or parties? An ACC without Florida State is a product that is going to attract less money when their contract goes to market again.
Yeah, that’s the question, isn’t it? For the GOR maybe take the sum of the annual payments for the FSU broadcast rights due over the term of the contract and discount it back since it is received as a lump sum payment. On the other hand you could make the argument that it shouldn’t be based on FSU’s value in the ACC, but instead should be based on their much higher value in one of the P2 conferences.

Reaction Score
Oh if it happens it’s only because the ACC is dying.

My original comment stands. There are actually idiots that prefer the Big East and they are utterly lawst.
Was the ACC dying when they took BC and Syracuse? Was the Big Ten dying when they took Rutgers? I have to agree though that if there is anyone who prefers the Big East to the ACC, those same individuals must also be booking tours to Roswell NM.

Reaction Score
If we are not talking money or football… just basketball… then I prefer the big east
Sure but just the fact that there are rumblings, that some BE schools, not named UConn might be attractive options for the Big 12 kind of tells you where our priority has to be if there ever is a choice.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The departing school(s) and the conference would need to come to an agreement on the price of buying out of the commitment. If it is determined in a manner similar to business dealings (which been going on for quite some time) a calculation of present value of future cash flows multiplied by a discount rate would lead to a number (keep in mind the discount rate is arbitrary and each side will have a different view on what it should be). Negotiations will likely begin when one side proposes a number.

My best guess at the moment is that a full member will need to pay $200 million to $250 million to leave now. The conference may possibly want more as once schools start leaving the cost will drop significantly (which could motivate some schools to not want to be the first).

One thing I find fascinating is where all members of the then Big East were a quarter century ago. At that time who would have believed that in 25 years Rutgers would be in a better situation in terms of athletic department future than any other school in the conference.

Reaction Score
The departing school(s) and the conference would need to come to an agreement on the price of buying out of the commitment. If it is determined in a manner similar to business dealings (which been going on for quite some time) a calculation of present value of future cash flows multiplied by a discount rate would lead to a number (keep in mind the discount rate is arbitrary and each side will have a different view on what it should be). Negotiations will likely begin when one side proposes a number.

My best guess at the moment is that a full member will need to pay $200 million to $250 million to leave now. The conference may possibly want more as once schools start leaving the cost will drop significantly (which could motivate some schools to not want to be the first).

One thing I find fascinating is where all members of the then Big East were a quarter century ago. At that time who would have believed that in 25 years Rutgers would be in a better situation in terms of athletic department future than any other school in the conference.

Based on this awfully made PowerPoint slide shown to FSU Trustees, the $200M might be well worth it.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Based on this awfully made PowerPoint slide shown to FSU Trustees, the $200M might be well worth it.

For the right school $200 million would be well worth it. An additional piece of the equation however is if the school(s) leaving the ACC will need to also buy-in to the B1G or SEC.

Also, a school (full member) can approach the conference offering $200 million only to have the conference respond $400 million. New ground will be broken when this happens and speculation is all anyone has to base the buyout calculations on. Where this differs from anything most finance people have ever worked on is the diminished value of revenues to remaining schools once the few depart. This could cause a discount rate to work in reverse.

Reaction Score
For the right school $200 million would be well worth it. An additional piece of the equation however is if the school(s) leaving the ACC will need to also buy-in to the B1G or SEC.

Also, a school (full member) can approach the conference offering $200 million only to have the conference respond $400 million. New ground will be broken when this happens and speculation is all anyone has to base the buyout calculations on. Where this differs from anything most finance people have ever worked on is the diminished value of revenues to remaining schools once the few depart. This could cause a discount rate to work in reverse.
Yes, but remember that however you calculate it, damage calculations can’t go past the end of the GOR Agreement, since schools at that point can leave without being liable for damages.

Reaction Score

This is what I'm getting at. If I was the ACC I fight tooth and nail and to keep original terms of the deal. You signed agreeing to this, that is my starting point. Not 200 million, not 300 million. The agreed upon terms. If not sue us, oh and by the way, let's make it known that we will in turn sue the conference and network that take you in.

Why? because if the ACC thinks their deal is bad now, it's going to be worse if their marquee football programs leave. No one put guns to heads of FSU and Clemson. I mentioned before, if they agree to give Clemson and FSU more revenue by agreeing to give everyone else less, then extend the terms of the GOR to the conference past 2036.

But I'm neither a lawyer or skilled negotiator some I'm probably talking out my rear end on this topic

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Yes, but remember that however you calculate it, damage calculations can’t go past the end of the GOR Agreement, since schools at that point can leave without being liable for damages.
I realize that (and I also realize the last couple of years of the GOR will be worth pennies on the dollar) but that still leaves more than a decade with (I believe) $36 million per school per year as the base point, not even considering a departure fee. Whatever a buyout would be, especially for the initial schools, will be an astronomical number.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
This is what I'm getting at. If I was the ACC I fight tooth and nail and to keep original terms of the deal. You signed agreeing to this, that is my starting point. Not 200 million, not 300 million. The agreed upon terms. If not sue us, oh and by the way, let's make it known that we will in turn sue the conference and network that take you in.

Why? because if the ACC thinks their deal is bad now, it's going to be worse if their marquee football programs leave. No one put guns to heads of FSU and Clemson. I mentioned before, if they agree to give Clemson and FSU more revenue by agreeing to give everyone else less, then extend the terms of the GOR to the conference past 2036.

But I'm neither a lawyer or skilled negotiator some I'm probably talking out my rear end on this topic
Yes, if I were BC, Wake, or any other member who faces the reality of being one of the schools that wont get a sniff from the B2G or SEC I don't consider giving back a penny without both extending the term of the GOR and increasing the departure fee. The contract has already been agreed upon and signed by all member parties. Altering the terms just because isn't sufficient reason.

Reaction Score
If we are not talking money or football… just basketball… then I prefer the big east
It’s stupid to even suggest such a thing, that’s like suggesting the The Big Ten might have taken Rutgers only for men’s basketball.

Reaction Score
I've thought that the key to breaking a GOR is what monetary damages does the plaintiff sustain if a contract is breached? If FSU left the ACC and ESPN kept the existing contract payout in place for the life of the contract (big if), what monetary damages did the remaining schools of the ACC sustain? Could be close to zero. And, the existing ACC contract is pretty close to the new Big 12 contract, so ESPN could keep the ACC contact in place if FSU left. What happens to the ACC media contract after the GORs expire is irrelevant.

Another possibility if that enough ACC schools can find soft landings in the Big 10, SEC, and Big 12 that the conference dissolves. It's a better option than unequal revenue sharing and equal or more revenue for almost all of the schools.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I've thought that the key to breaking a GOR is what monetary damages does the plaintiff sustain if a contract is breached? If FSU left the ACC and ESPN kept the existing contract payout in place for the life of the contract (big if), what monetary damages did the remaining schools of the ACC sustain? Could be close to zero. And, the existing ACC contract is pretty close to the new Big 12 contract, so ESPN could keep the ACC contact in place if FSU left. What happens to the ACC media contract after the GORs expire is irrelevant.
This could get far more complicated than that. FSU has granted their media rights to the ACC. If they were to just get up, join another conference and wait for the courts to determine a dollar amount they owe the ACC, the possibility exists that the new conference cannot broadcast any games FSU plays until the court case is decided.
Another possibility if that enough ACC schools can find soft landings in the Big 10, SEC, and Big 12 that the conference dissolves. It's a better option than unequal revenue sharing and equal or more revenue for almost all of the schools.
How many can find soft landings? If it isn't more than the number of votes required to dissolve the conference, dissolution wouldn't be feasible.

Reaction Score
This could get far more complicated than that. FSU has granted their media rights to the ACC. If they were to just get up, join another conference and wait for the courts to determine a dollar amount they owe the ACC, the possibility exists that the new conference cannot broadcast any games FSU plays until the court case is decided.

How many can find soft landings?
If it isn't more than the number of votes required to dissolve the conference, dissolution wouldn't be feasible.
All of them. All the ACC schools have entrenched FBS football programs and that’s not changing. All the original ACC schools have large endowments, stellar academics and research facilities, and they fund all the major D1 athletic programs. If a couple schools leave and a couple new ones replace them, so what. Success in football is fleeting, it doesn’t last, it’s just a series of ebbs and flows, just ask Miami, FSU, Notre Dame, Nebraska, USC, Pitt, Oregon, and a few others.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Ouch.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

The increased price for being first one out is best option for a new landing place. The reward for waiting and getting a lower buyout is fewer opportunities for a landing spot once you leave.

Reaction Score
It’s one thing to want to leave; it’s a whole other thing to find someone to take you in. I don’t see the BIG or SEC rushing to take either FSU or Clemson - they’ve always been there for the taking and they would add little to membership or tv partner.

Reaction Score
It’s one thing to want to leave; it’s a whole other thing to find someone to take you in. I don’t see the BIG or SEC rushing to take either FSU or Clemson - they’ve always been there for the taking and they would add little to membership or tv partner.
I agree but for FSU to be making this noise they may have back channels telling them, "hey if you wraggle yourself free, give us a call". Have no clue if they fit the Big Ten academic profile, but they make more sense FB wise to the Big Ten than the SEC. It's a legit power FB program and would get the Big Ten into SEC territory.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I disagree about FSU and the Big10. When the Big10 wooed Maryland, they were banking on other schools signing up as well. Those schools choose to stay in the ACC. FSU was one they were courting and the Noles decided to stay with Swafford and the ACC.

FSU would add a tremendous amount to the Big10. A huge football school in a football hotbed in a huge state in an area they currently don’t have any teams (closest school is Indiana at 11 and a half hours away by car). Showcasing the Big10 schools in Florida would be a boon for the likes of Michigan, OSU, PSU and USC.

While FSU has seen some rough years as of late, they are still a huge name in football. A name is a name and all it takes is the right situation to become the power they once were. Alabama was struggling before Saban, OSU has taken a hit since Meyer left, Florida has beef mediocre at best since Spurrier’s time and Georgia was average before Smart arrived. All FSU needs to do is find the right coach and make sure he stays. They have the cachet to be dominate again. With Florida struggling, staying away from Alabama and Georgia would be a huge help.

If FSU did want to join the Big10, all they would need is a NW school (Washington) and a NE school to have the nation covered. I wonder what school in NE would fit that bill?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
All of them. All the ACC schools have entrenched FBS football programs and that’s not changing. All the original ACC schools have large endowments, stellar academics and research facilities, and they fund all the major D1 athletic programs. If a couple schools leave and a couple new ones replace them, so what. Success in football is fleeting, it doesn’t last, it’s just a series of ebbs and flows, just ask Miami, FSU, Notre Dame, Nebraska, USC, Pitt, Oregon, and a few others.
You're right, they could all find soft landings, in a conference together! You can't magically place 8 teams into 3 major conferences that currently have 16 or 12 teams. So what do those teams do, form their own conference? Oh wait, they are already in one.....there aren't many seats to be had in the P2 or 3 if you wanna count the Big12. It's why I think Oregon and UW are in trouble with the 4 corner schools leave for the Big12.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom