Rumor---NBC will pay $20-24 million per year to ND (contract renewal) | The Boneyard

Rumor---NBC will pay $20-24 million per year to ND (contract renewal)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
@thebeatofsports

ND football will get playoff access. W/new NBC deal likely, increased Big East $$, potential network, Irish will be among top paid programs

‏@thebeatofsports

ND AD has talked about their own TV network, which Comcast/NBC may partner. More money means reasons to join a conf for FB not as needed.

‏@thebeatofsports

ND/NBC deal is FB only. Projected new Big East $$ for non-fb members may be worth $3-5mm/yr. ND would be looking at least $25mm per yr.

‏@thebeatofsports

Buzz:NBC working on new deal w/Notre Dame FB to be in line w/new big payouts of other conferences. Approx. $15+mm now, likely $20-24mm+ per

https://twitter.com/#!/thebeatofsports

If true, it is not likely that ND is joining any conference for football.

Reaction Score
But, if the BE's bowl relationships are downgraded, and the money from all bowls is lowered (no BCS money), and there are no tie-ins where a mixed relationship with ND benefits the BE, why would the BE continue its relationship with ND?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
exactly! f nd at this point

uconn/ruty/temple/cincy/lville/usf/ucf/navy.
move memphis east if lville leaves or add ecu.

uh/smu/memphis/bsu/sdsu/byu//unr or fresno
-add fresno/unr if memphis is in the east

f nd, f the bball schools. lets go to war with 18 all sports. play your division and a cross game(rival) for a 8 game sch. conf ship game at bcs ranking highest school. bball roundrobin and other sports can play division set up for good travel $$ saving.

Reaction Score
Lets not turn this into the WVU board. The above information is from twitter. Until it shows up on some reputable website it should not be believed. Then again, if we all waited for relalignment rumors from ESPN this board would be very boring.

pj

Reaction Score
If you were a network exec and a collection of ten teams that includes Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, West Virginia, and Oklahoma State was worth $20 million per team, wouldn't Notre Dame be worth in excess of $20 million?

Reaction Score
Lets not turn this into the WVU board. The above information is from twitter. Until it shows up on some reputable website it should not be believed. Then again, if we all waited for relalignment rumors from ESPN this board would be very boring.

you clearly aren't listing to Carl if you consider ESPN a reputable website! Twitter is half the fun of this realignment game. The other half are these boards where we get to guess/dream/slash things up.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
If you were a network exec and a collection of ten teams that includes Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, West Virginia, and Oklahoma State was worth $20 million per team, wouldn't Notre Dame be worth in excess of $20 million?
This.

For all the hating on ND, they're still more popular than everybody except UT and OU, and they're just as popular as those schools. And that's comparing crappy ND to high level UT/OU.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
But, if the BE's bowl relationships are downgraded, and the money from all bowls is lowered (no BCS money), and there are no tie-ins where a mixed relationship with ND benefits the BE, why would the BE continue its relationship with ND?

Because, all of a sudden, the BE {eek} needs ND as a {hard to bring myself to say it} basketball school.

That hurt.

Reaction Score
The question isn't whether ND is popular, it's if the current arrangement just keeps us from making the tough decisions needed to move the league (as in fully participating members) forward. What are they willing to do to advance the interests of this league right now? I think the answer is not much besides whispering sweet nothings. They are a distraction but a very popular one at least on this board.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If the non football schools got 5 million that would be pretty impressive. That is a huge number. Thats 9 figures a year for inventory that includes a lot of PC/Hall inventory.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If the non football schools got 5 million that would be pretty impressive. That is a huge number. Thats 9 figures a year for inventory that includes a lot of PC/Hall inventory.

given how many schools are in the Big East, PC/Hall inventory is a small percentage of overall, and PC, even as crappy as they are, still draw better than about half the SEC.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
given how many schools are in the Big East, PC/Hall inventory is a small percentage of overall, and PC, even as crappy as they are, still draw better than about half the SEC.

Yeah in the building, but not on TV. PC/Hall is a small part of the inventory? There as many boring/bad programs as interesting/good. They don't get anywhere near 5 million a year now, and there is no way in hell you can make a case that SMU/UCF/Houston/Temple are more attractive than Syracuse/Pittsburgh/West Virginia. Even if it's a perfect time to go out to bid, you can't ignore that the product isn't as good as it was before those three departed.

I hope they get 5 million that would be great, it's still $100 million dollars a year - which is half of what NBC is paying the NHL a year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah in the building, but not on TV. PC/Hall is a small part of the inventory? There as many boring/bad programs as interesting/good. They don't get anywhere near 5 million a year now, and there is no way in hell you can make a case that SMU/UCF/Houston/Temple are more attractive than Syracuse/Pittsburgh/West Virginia. Even if it's a perfect time to go out to bid, you can't ignore that the product isn't as good as it was before those three departed.

It's the only game in town Whaler.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's the only game in town Whaler.

Is that an NBC reference? The inference being that they will pay a stupid amount as there is nothing else to buy? That is what the Big East is selling, that is what is going to get them 100 million a year for a parade of SMU/Houston basketball games - there is nowhere else to spend their money?

The opposite may end up being just as true. There is only one real suitor and they don't need to step up.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I hope they get 5 million that would be great, it's still $100 million dollars a year - which is half of what NBC is paying the NHL a year.

$5MM a year would be just over a double of the basketball portion of the current TV contract. College TV rights fees have been doing a lot better than that, across the board. Do we know that the SEC, on an apples to apples basis, does better than PC? SEC basketball gets fewer national broadcasts than the Big East gets, and most of those games that are broadcasts involve Kentucky or Florida. Only Florida, Kentucky, Vanderbilt and I think Arkansas play anywhere near full capacity. Watch an Ole Miss or South Carolina game if you want to see how much interest basketball generates in the south.

Houston, Temple and Memphis are more than adequate basketball replacements for WVU, Pitt and Syracuse. The new 3 have more final fours than the 3 that left and are in much better markets. Pitt has sucked until about 10 years ago, and if the New York City pipeline is cut off, they will go back to sucking. I would not be surprised to see Dixon leave after this coming season. WVU is Huggins.

SMU and UCF are detritus, I will agree, but both are in huge markets without any significant basketball competition.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Big East basketball took a big hit with the loss of Syracuse, Pitt and WVU. Temple is an adequate replacement, Memphis is meh and Houston is a joke.

I'd say BE basketball took a bigger hit than football.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
This isn't surprising. NBCs national content for years is Notre Dame and the Service Academies. The ratings are respectable with windfall ratings in a good year for ND and in major contests like Michigan.

As long as advertisers step up and apparently they do.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
SMU/UCF/Houston/Temple

3 growing markets. 3 campuses making big investments in their Athletic Department upgrade including facilities.

Temple gives Comcast Philly some content to go with Nova much like the Rutgers UConn deal at SNY NY. It's two of the Big 5 meaning there will be plenty of Big 5 content. That's the type of content they can leverage with a yearly Big 5 retrospective and so forth.

The BE and basketball is all about regional draw given the number of games. Ultimately winning produces viewers.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
$5MM a year would be just over a double of the basketball portion of the current TV contract. College TV rights fees have been doing a lot better than that, across the board. Do we know that the SEC, on an apples to apples basis, does better than PC? SEC basketball gets fewer national broadcasts than the Big East gets, and most of those games that are broadcasts involve Kentucky or Florida. Only Florida, Kentucky, Vanderbilt and I think Arkansas play anywhere near full capacity. Watch an Ole Miss or South Carolina game if you want to see how much interest basketball generates in the south.

Houston, Temple and Memphis are more than adequate basketball replacements for WVU, Pitt and Syracuse. The new 3 have more final fours than the 3 that left and are in much better markets. Pitt has sucked until about 10 years ago, and if the New York City pipeline is cut off, they will go back to sucking. I would not be surprised to see Dixon leave after this coming season. WVU is Huggins.

SMU and UCF are detritus, I will agree, but both are in huge markets without any significant basketball competition.

You are ignoring that the value in conferences is created by rivalries. Temple, Houston and Memphis are not
equal to Syracuse, West Virginia and Pittsburgh - that is clearly obvious, but even if you agree to that nonsense... You ignore the fact that the games that are attractive nationally are based on history and rivalry.

Houston may be a huge city, but nationally Houston and Louisville can never compete with Georgetown and Syracuse. UConn is devalued simply by the fact that Pitt and Syracuse aren't on the schedule. Temple will never have a rivalry like Syracuse does with Georgetown or UConn.

It doesn't matter if Memphis is better than West Virginia today or tomorrow. It doesn't matter if 50x more people live in Houston than Syracuse. The Big East or any other conference is only a interesting as the rivalries are.

It's why people get excited when ND plays Miami in the Sun Bowl. Its
why when people thought UConn was good last season ticket prices for Syracuse at Gampel were through the roof.

Memphis can be higher in the Pomeroys than all three departing schools - they still can never replace them.

Reaction Score
You are ignoring that the value in conferences is created by rivalries. Temple, Houston and Memphis are not
equal to Syracuse, West Virginia and Pittsburgh - that is clearly obvious, but even if you agree to that nonsense... You ignore the fact that the games that are attractive nationally are based on history and rivalry.

Houston may be a huge city, but nationally Houston and Louisville can never compete with Georgetown and Syracuse. UConn is devalued simply by the fact that Pitt and Syracuse aren't on the schedule. Temple will never have a rivalry like Syracuse does with Georgetown or UConn.

It doesn't matter if Memphis is better than West Virginia today or tomorrow. It doesn't matter if 50x more people live in Houston than Syracuse. The Big East or any other conference is only a interesting as the rivalries are.

It's why people get excited when ND plays Miami in the Sun Bowl. Its
why when people thought UConn was good last season ticket prices for Syracuse at Gampel were through the roof.

Memphis can be higher in the Pomeroys than all three departing schools - they still can never replace them.

WV and Pitt? You're giving them way too much credit. Syracuse is a huge loss. Louisville can't compete with G'town? Not feeling ya. Memphis can be at least Pitt. Why not? Houston may show us something soon. 25 years ago, they were Phi Slamma Jamma. Why can't it happen again? Texas has a lot of talent.

SMU and UCF are underwhelming, but Temple is at least West Virginia, Memphis can be Pitt, Houston may return to a semblance of their former selves. When I look at the departures, the BE lost a big one in Syracuse. That's the extent of it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Whaler, this has been talked about forever but I'll give it one last shot:
1. NBC needs sports content. The Big East has the best available product. (Everyone better is already committed)
2. NBC had a lot time slots to fill. The Big East offer content in at least three time zones.
3. NBC needs to be able to offer advertisers potential views. The Big East is many major markets.
4. If NBC low balls the Big East, the conference won't stay together and it won't get 1-3 above. Therefore NBC will have to minimally in the neighborhood of the big boy conferences.
I know your focus is on game quality. I don't disagree that it may be ugly for a while, but if my premises above are accurate that doesn't matter.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
WV and Pitt? You're giving them way too much credit. Syracuse is a huge loss. Louisville can't compete with G'town? Not feeling ya. Memphis can be at least Pitt. Why not? Houston may show us something soon. 25 years ago, they were Phi Slamma Jamma. Why can't it happen again? Texas has a lot of talent.

SMU and UCF are underwhelming, but Temple is at least West Virginia, Memphis can be Pitt, Houston may return to a semblance of their former selves. When I look at the departures, the BE lost a big one in Syracuse. That's the extent of it.

Sweet Jesus. Louisville has a better basketball team than Georgetown. Louisville against Houston will never interest more people than Georgetown and Syracuse.

Yeah Pitt's not a loss. The XL Center isn't electric when Pitt is in town.

It will never matter if Houston goes to Final Fours - which of course they probably won't - it will never equal UConn against Syracuse or Pitt or even West Virginia.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whaler, this has been talked about forever but I'll give it one last shot:
1. NBC needs sports content. The Big East has the best available product. (Everyone better is already committed)
2. NBC had a lot time slots to fill. The Big East offer content in at least three time zones.
3. NBC needs to be able to offer advertisers potential views. The Big East is many major markets.
4. If NBC low balls the Big East, the conference won't stay together and it won't get 1-3 above. Therefore NBC will have to minimally in the neighborhood of the big boy conferences.
I know your focus is on game quality. I don't disagree that it may be ugly for a while, but if my premises above are accurate that doesn't matter.

I get the premise - it just assumes that a network that already doesn't do well is willing to lose money for the honor of broadcasting the games.

Are there bigger markets than Los Angeles and New York/New Jersey? The NHL Finals on NBCS got outdrawn by Miami/Boston - not just nationally - in frigging Los Angeles and New York.

Big markets don't just watch because your team bears their name, there needs to be a compelling product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom