Rumor: A lot of big east teams to leave | The Boneyard

Rumor: A lot of big east teams to leave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
One thing I don't get about this: why would the Big12 schools want these teams to join? Why share their $$? Are you saying that Kansas St. and Iowa St. prevailed over Texas by insisting new members be added in case Texas bolted?

Reaction Score
One thing I don't get about this: why would the Big12 schools want these teams to join? Why share their $$? Are you saying that Kansas St. and Iowa St. prevailed over Texas by insisting new members be added in case Texas bolted?

It's about stability, power, and revenue growth. They have to keep up with the Joneses who are all going to 14. If they stay at 10 they are vulnerable but by going to 14 or more it makes it so they can withstand a defection or two. No conference in the day and age should try to make a go of it with less than 12 teams. It's just asking to be ripped apart. Also, don't think perception doesn't play a part in this. Conferences are trying to look strong and like schools want to join them.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I actually don't know why the Big 12 would go to 12 or 14 teams. Seems like the right move is to stay at 10 with BYU.

It is also worth noting that this rumor is getting a lot of legs, all traced back to one source, Bearcat Lair. I don't know if he has a source or this is just something that he wishes would happen.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Just now from @ChuckCarltonDMN on Twitter: "A source on the idea of TCU, Louisville, Cincinnati, W. Va to the Big 12: "It's one of the leading options." Big 12 waiting on Missouri."

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Just now from @ChuckCarltonDMN on Twitter: "A source on the idea of TCU, Louisville, Cincinnati, W. Va to the Big 12: "It's one of the leading options." Big 12 waiting on Missouri."

Let's hope not. Any chance of stopping this exodus evaporated around the time Herbst decided not to show up to the meeting in New York with the other football schools. Now she may be reduced to begging them to drag us along.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is looking more and more real every minute. It also looks like USF is the #1 backup choice if Missouri bails. Talk about things going south quickly, two weeks ago Rutgers and UConn are telling the other 5 to pound sand when they ask us to rebuild the Big East. Now UConn and Rutgers are the Big East. This is a truly craptacular outcome.

Reaction Score
This is looking more and more real every minute. It also looks like USF is the #1 backup choice if Missouri bails. Talk about things going south quickly, two weeks ago Rutgers and UConn are telling the other 5 to pound sand when they ask us to rebuild the Big East. Now UConn and Rutgers are the Big East. This is a truly craptacular outcome.
You got any links.

Also I doubt any of these schools would have stayed whether Herbst went or not. The biggest thing that has changed is that Texas and Oklahoma didn't go to the Pac 12 and took their little brothers with them. The Big 12 survived their impending implosion. They offer more money than the Big East to any team that comes on board presumably and there is strength in numbers meaning they will survive any future departures/raids if they expand aggresively. That is what the Big East failed to take into account when they stood at 8 for so long. Oh well, its all over but the crying at this stage.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Let's hope not. Any chance of stopping this exodus evaporated around the time Herbst decided not to show up to the meeting in New York with the other football schools. Now she may be reduced to begging them to drag us along.
If only Herbst had shown solidarity, the others would have seen the light of good fortune in the Big East... right.

Reaction Score
Well, like you stated, that link only says Louisville is trying to keep the league together. Who the hell knows what is really going on. It will be interesting to see what comes out of the Big East presidents meeting this Sunday. Will there still be a Big East football conference by then?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Well, like you stated, that link only says Louisville is trying to keep the league together. Who the hell knows what is really going on. It will be interesting to see what comes out of the Big East presidents meeting this Sunday. Will there still be a Big East football conference by then?

It doesn't say "only" Louisville, it just says Louisville. I have to imagine that any Presidents interested in rebuilding are going to demand a commitment with some teeth in it, effectively almost immediately.

Reaction Score
It doesn't say "only" Louisville, it just says Louisville. I have to imagine that any Presidents interested in rebuilding are going to demand a commitment with some teeth in it, effectively almost immediately.
All the teams are "interested" in keeping the Big East alive, just until they have a ticket out.

Reaction Score
Boston Globe college football reporter thinks the B12 might look eastward with the addition of Louisville, WVA, Rutgers and UConn.

Reaction Score
I'm hearing the Big 12 is exploring any numbe rof option from 9-16. there is so much dissary I don't hgink they have any idea what they will end up with. might as well go to 16 to be safe when teams eventually leave.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The BE has several problems: Cuse & Pitt to ACC, hybrid conference, weak commissioner, potential loss of AQ to BCS bowl and different agendas from the schools. With these problems, it will be extremely difficult for the BE to stay alive, except for maybe as a BB conference only. And even that will/ would be diminished greatly if a couple of more school leave - like us.

If we look at the timeline, Pitt & Syracuse were working on leaving long before the story broke. I believe most, if not all schools were blind sided by the move. Herbst's attendance at the first meeting would have made no difference. Her statement about doing what is best for Uconn is correct. Schools are going to protect their own.

With all the rumors going around, nobody has any idea of what is going to happen. We don't even know if Pitt & Syracuse will be forced to stay until 2013 or will be gone by June of 2012.

If several schools bolt for the Big 12 to join Texas and the like, ND is going to be forced to make a move. They will have to commit to a conference or be left out. That will not happen.

We all have to wait and see.

Reaction Score
I meant to say there was nothing in the article about the Big 12 adding all of the aforementioned Big East teams. I doubt we are going to see much movement here quickly.

Reaction Score
What I dont get is, you know someone is going to 16 and that will start it all. SO why is everyone so slow to do it. There are only so many worthy programs. One of the Big 4 is going to be left with a less than disireable situation if they don't grab the next best thing. It's a game of chicken waiting on Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
Boston Globe college football reporter thinks the B12 might look eastward with the addition of Louisville, WVA, Rutgers and UConn.

Please let this actually happen. I really would rather be in a better football conference than Cuse and BC if at all possible at this point.

Reaction Score
The Big XII making a strong move to survive the shakeup can only push other conferences to act quickly. If 16 is a desireable number, and while I don't understand why it should be that seems to be what the networks are saying (because otherwise none of this would be happening), there are not enough tier one programs out there to have 5 sixteen team conferences. The Big XII was supposed to go away in this scenario. An attempt by the Big XII to move east (and if you're going to Morgantown and Cincinnati for the life of me I can't see why you wouldn't go to metro New York -- a long plane ride doesn't change with an extra few hundred miles on the end of it) forces the ACC, and to a lesser degree the SEC and Big Ten, to act now or find it much harder to expand in the future.

Of course, logic has been such a useless tool to explain how we are where we are now ....

Reaction Score
Per Mr. SEC this morning. This is why UConn and Rutgers don't have to worry about being left out. It's probably why the Big 12 doesn't want people to think they would consider adding us as well. It would be the biggest of all power moves for them to take the Big East six including the two Northeastern teams and basically become America's conference. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Big 10 decided to make sure this doesn't happen and invited us before the Big 12 or ACC get the chance to.

Rank School New Top 40 Households (millions) Top 40 Markets within 200 Miles
1 Rutgers 15.6 New York, Philly, DC, Baltimore, Hartford, Harrisburg-York
2 Connecticut 10.9 New York, Boston, Hartford
3t Maryland 7.1 Philly, DC, Baltimore, Harrisburg-York
3t Navy 7.1 Philly, DC, Baltimore, Harrisburg-York
5 Penn State 5.9 Philly, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Harrisburg-York
6 Notre Dame 5.5 Chicago, Indianapolis, Milwaukee
7t Baylor 5.4 Dallas, Houston, San Antonio
7t Texas 5.4 Dallas, Houston, San Antonio
7t Texas A&M 5.4 Dallas, Houston, San Antonio
10 Virginia 4.5 DC, Raleigh, Baltimore
11 Pittsburgh 3.5 Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Columbus
12 Boston College 3.4 Boston, Hartford
13 Cincinnati 2.9 Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Columbus
14t Oklahoma 2.5 Dallas
14t TCU 2.5 Dallas
16t Duke 2.2 Charlotte, Raleigh
16t Miami 2.2 Miami, West Palm Beach
16t N. Carolina 2.2 Charlotte, Raleigh
16t NC State 2.2 Charlotte, Raleigh
16t Virginia Tech 2.2 Charlotte, Raleigh
16t Wake Forest 2.2 Charlotte, Raleigh, (Greensboro-Spartanburg)
22 Missouri 2.1 St. Louis, Kansas City
23 Louisville 2.0 Indianapolis, Cincinnati, (Nashville)

Reaction Score
Per Mr. SEC this morning. This is why UConn and Rutgers don't have to worry about being left out. It's probably why the Big 12 doesn't want people to think they would consider adding us as well. It would be the biggest of all power moves for them to take the Big East six including the two Northeastern teams and basically become America's conference. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Big 10 decided to make sure this doesn't happen and invited us before the Big 12 or ACC get the chance to.

Rank School New Top 40 Households (millions) Top 40 Markets within 200 Miles
1 Rutgers 15.6 New York, Philly, DC, Baltimore, Hartford, Harrisburg-York
2 Connecticut 10.9 New York, Boston, Hartford
3t Maryland 7.1 Philly, DC, Baltimore, Harrisburg-York
3t Navy 7.1 Philly, DC, Baltimore, Harrisburg-York
5 Penn State 5.9 Philly, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Harrisburg-York
6 Notre Dame 5.5 Chicago, Indianapolis, Milwaukee
7t Baylor 5.4 Dallas, Houston, San Antonio
7t Texas 5.4 Dallas, Houston, San Antonio
7t Texas A&M 5.4 Dallas, Houston, San Antonio
10 Virginia 4.5 DC, Raleigh, Baltimore
11 Pittsburgh 3.5 Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Columbus
12 Boston College 3.4 Boston, Hartford
13 Cincinnati 2.9 Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Columbus
14t Oklahoma 2.5 Dallas
14t TCU 2.5 Dallas
16t Duke 2.2 Charlotte, Raleigh
16t Miami 2.2 Miami, West Palm Beach
16t N. Carolina 2.2 Charlotte, Raleigh
16t NC State 2.2 Charlotte, Raleigh
16t Virginia Tech 2.2 Charlotte, Raleigh
16t Wake Forest 2.2 Charlotte, Raleigh, (Greensboro-Spartanburg)
22 Missouri 2.1 St. Louis, Kansas City
23 Louisville 2.0 Indianapolis, Cincinnati, (Nashville)

If market size, rather than market share, was the leading force behind reallignment, then please explain why Quse and Pitt were added to the ACC and not Rutgers/UConn.

Reaction Score
If market size, rather than market share, was the leading force behind reallignment, then please explain why Quse and Pitt were added to the ACC and not Rutgers/UConn.

More than likely due to football history and certain schools blocking UConn. The Rutgers brand is not as strong as Pitt or Cuse either but UConn is stronger than both. It's not logical that they didn't take us, it's more personal in my opinion. UConn has market share and size whereas Rutgers mainly has market size going for it. We are definitely ahead of Rutgers. UConn will be one of the dominant sports brands in any conference we go to. There are certainly schools in the ACC that may not be comfortable with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom