Rudy Gay Is A Superstar | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rudy Gay Is A Superstar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
How the duck* did it come to pass that nearly every new poster that wanders here was either born in the last 15 years or is just a complete nitwit?

Are we advertising in Highlights? Passing out business cards at insane asylums? Juvenile detention facilities? Is it Google's fault? Is that search box just too easy to use? How did we end up with people who have 4,000 posts and have only used the shift key once? Or who have 5,000 posts and may have written 5,100 words to get there?

Answers, I need answers.

Reaction Score
I think a better questions, is why does everyone think they he/she is Nostradamus?

Reaction Score
You

You apparently didn't see very much of Ray in his prime. Then again, he toiled in markets you really had to work to find coverage of, in Milwaukee and Seattle. Ray in his prime was unreal.
There must be a lot of young posters on here. Other than blocking shots and dunks, Rudy doesn't do anything better than Ray did in his prime. Ray was a great athlete, and people forget that he was also a great dunker. He could also create his own shot with the best of them.

Reaction Score
Having talent and utilizing that talent on a consistent basis are two different things.

Reaction Score
Just because you are a character doesn't mean that you have character.

caw

Reaction Score
I look at the last play yesterday as Conley's fault. Down one, it's a rather dumb decision to not take it to the hole and end up settling for a contested 3. Rudy didn't have time to do much else, unfortunately.

Ray of course would have done this:

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Rudy is a very good player, superstar is reserved for players like Kobe, LeBron, Durant and arguably guys like Rondo.

Reaction Score
I look at the last play yesterday as Conley's fault. Down one, it's a rather dumb decision to not take it to the hole and end up settling for a contested 3. Rudy didn't have time to do much else, unfortunately.

Ray of course would have done this:

I remember watching that game live, but I saw it on ESPN Classic a couple of months ago. Suffice to say, there are many posters on this board who would have a better understanding of what kind of basketball player Ray was just by watching that one game.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's that ridiculous to call Rudy Gay the most talented player to ever come out of UConn. Obviously Ray Allen has been the most productive, but "best" doesn't always equate to "most talented". Ray Allen probably doesn't have the overall game that Rudy has. Ray is obviously more than just a spot up shooter, but I don't think he can create his own shot the way Rudy can, even in his prime.

If Rudy can add some element of a post game to his offensive game, he could be one of the better one on one players in the league, if he isn't already. Do I think he'll ever be as good as Ray? No. Ray is as hard a worker as you'll find in professional sports, and he has mastered his craft about as well as anyone in the history of the game. I think you could argue Rudy has more natural gifts though.
Well last years team was supposed to be one of if not our most talented team ever. Talent has always been a grey area when evaluating players. What does it really mean? Sometimes it means the player is great. Other times it means he should be great but ismt. Rudy gay is very athletic and a Really good player but he isn't a superstar. There are very few in the Nba and he isn't one of them. And I love Rudy. And the fact that Huskymagic thinks Rudy is "easily the most talented player in the nba besides Lebron" is just insane.

H

huskymagic

Well last years team was supposed to be one of if not our most talented team ever. Talent has always been a grey area when evaluating players. What does it really mean? Sometimes it means the player is great. Other times it means he should be great but ismt. Rudy gay is very athletic and a Really good player but he isn't a superstar. There are very few in the Nba and he isn't one of them. And I love Rudy. And the fact that Huskymagic thinks Rudy is "easily the most talented player in the nba besides Lebron" is just insane.

32 whats insane about it. Read my posts for clarification. I said he is the most talented because he is the Roger Federer of basketball. He plays basketball with an effortlessness, with a grace and smoothness that nobody in the NBA can match. His unique combination of size, skills, athleticism, makes him the most talented in the NBA along with Lebron. Its not about just the athleticism that you guys keep mentioning its a combination of things.

Reaction Score
32 whats insane about it. Read my posts for clarification. I said he is the most talented because he is the Roger Federer of basketball. He plays basketball with an effortlessness, with a grace and smoothness that nobody in the NBA can match. His unique combination of size, skills, athleticism, makes him the most talented in the NBA along with Lebron. Its not about just the athleticism that you guys keep mentioning its a combination of things.
BunkHeadShaking.gif

Reaction Score
If the every player was freed of contract and they re-drafted players 1 at a time for 1 season's worth of games what number do you think Rudy would go? Rudy was 23rd in the league in scoring. Plenty of guys who score fewer would be picked ahead of him I'd say #30 at best, probably closer to 40. Definitely hurting his perceived value that Memphis was a playoff juggernaut without him last year and with him this year they look to be out in first round (yes Randloph isn't 100% & neither is Tony Allen, but should healthy Rudy Gay vs no Rudy Gay makeup for that). Rudy is a very good player but not hitting his potential personally or team-wise, would have benefited IMMENSELY from another year at UConn.

caw

Reaction Score
If the every player was freed of contract and they re-drafted players 1 at a time for 1 season's worth of games what number do you think Rudy would go? Rudy was 23rd in the league in scoring. Plenty of guys who score fewer would be picked ahead of him I'd say #30 at best, probably closer to 40. Definitely hurting his perceived value that Memphis was a playoff juggernaut without him last year and with him this year they look to be out in first round (yes Randloph isn't 100% & neither is Tony Allen, but should healthy Rudy Gay vs no Rudy Gay makeup for that). Rudy is a very good player but not hitting his potential personally or team-wise, would have benefited IMMENSELY from another year at UConn.

Yes, but there are players on the scoring list (ahead of Gay) that I wouldn't take before Gay. I would take Gay before Ellis, Lee, Jefferson, Jennings, Bargnani, Lopez. I would probably also take him over Eric Gordon (the man who can't stay healthy).

I would jump Bynum, Parker, Gasol, Duncan, Ginobili, and Rondo. Putting him at about 23 overall. I may have missed someone?

Of course if you talking about starting a team from scratch and going forward he would move up the list a bit (considering his age). He is arguably a top 3-4 SF in the league behind Lebron, Durant and possibly Anthony (when healthy).

Reaction Score
lol @ making the argument for him staying another year in school NOW, in 2012, his 5th year in the league. Another year at UConn would have absoulutely no impact on the player he is now, he's had more than enough time to develop while on the job.

Reaction Score
lol @ making the argument for him staying another year in school NOW, in 2012, his 5th year in the league. Another year at UConn would have absoulutely no impact on the player he is now, he's had more than enough time to develop while on the job.
Read the article by Kerr
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7883540/steve-kerr-problems-age-limit-nba

Excerpt (I know Rudy played 2 at UC, he just needed a 3rd to learn to be the leader and 'THE MAN' on a successful team like the guys at the end of this quote):
This won't be the case for everyone, but let's say a player attends school for two years and plays for a superior coach — not just someone who knows his stuff, but a genuinely good person who cares for his players during their two playing years and beyond. That isn't a huge asset for any player? Think about the impact Dean Smith had on Jordan. The joke back in the day was that the only person on earth who could hold MJ under 20 points was Dean Smith. (And it was true: MJ averaged 17.7 points per game in three seasons at Carolina.) But what was Smith really doing while making Jordan pay his dues and share the ball? Teaching him how to be a good teammate, how to work, and most important, how to deal with success and adversity. Did MJ's experience at UNC help make him the champion that he became in the NBA? Even if there's no way to prove it, I believe the foundation and guidance Smith provided ended up being a big reason for Jordan evolving into the greatest player ever. In fact, Michael even admits this, saying many times that Coach Smith was one of the biggest influences in his life. Their relationship remains important to Jordan to this day.
Doesn't this mean … something?
Wouldn't an extra year have the same effect on dozens of college players every decade? The backbone of the current league isn't just the influx of talent, it's the maturity and professionalism of veteran stars like Tim Duncan, Ray Allen, Grant Hill, Chris Paul, Steve Nash, Dwyane Wade, and Paul Pierce — guys who spent multiple years in college — setting the tone for everyone else. We need more of them.

H

huskymagic

Deogdeacon dont compare last year ansd this year its a whole different season with different teams. Last year nobody expected much from memphis and teams were down in the West last year with the exception of Dallas and OKC. The Spurs were overrated last year and the Lakers looked old and finished. The Grizzlies were under the radar last year, but this year their not. This year teams are better and the Clippers are completely different with the addition of Chris Paul. Nevertheless, the Grizzlies should still have been up 3-1 if not a sweep right now over the Clippers if not for awful coaching by Lionel Hollins and OJ Mayo destroying games. The Grizzlies should play more with Rudy and Mike Conley and then feed the post to the bigs, not the other way around.

P.S. How would Rudy have benefited from another year at UCONN. He is already a star. He hasnt even reached his max potential yet. He is the most talented player in the NBA(talent level not what statistics say).

Reaction Score
Deogdeacon dont compare last year ansd this year its a whole different season with different teams. Last year nobody expected much from memphis and teams were down in the West last year with the exception of Dallas and OKC. The Spurs were overrated last year and the Lakers looked old and finished. The Grizzlies were under the radar last year, but this year their not. This year teams are better and the Clippers are completely different with the addition of Chris Paul. Nevertheless, the Grizzlies should still have been up 3-1 if not a sweep right now over the Clippers if not for awful coaching by Lionel Hollins and OJ Mayo destroying games. The Grizzlies should play more with Rudy and Mike Conley and then feed the post to the bigs, not the other way around.

P.S. How would Rudy have benefited from another year at UCONN. He is already a star. He hasnt even reached his max potential yet. He is the most talented player in the NBA(talent level not what statistics say).

Honestly stop embarrassing yourself. Do you watch the NBA? Or do you just see a highlight or two? Do you think Blake Griffin is the 2nd most talented? That is really the dumbest comment I have seen on this site, and there is a moronic comment posted every 10 min around here.

If Rudy was the most talented player in the NBA and is the player that he is now and has achieved what he has then he is the laziest and most under performing player in the league.

I hate Lebron but he has about 25x more talent than Rudy.

caw

Reaction Score

I just don't see how Rudy is the most talented player in the NBA. I need you to clear define what you mean by talent.

Rudy is probably the 3rd most athletically gifted small forward behind Durant and Lebron. I don't think he is a ton behind those guys in terms of raw athletic ability, but he lacks the length of Durant and the strength of Lebron. He just will never match Durant's length and I don't think he could maintain his smoothness if he got up to the 250-260 Lebron plays at. The only other small forward who I consider better than Rudy is Carmelo, who is a better shooter and similarly gifted aside from that.

If you are talking about skills, Lebron is a much more skilled passer than Rudy. Rudy is probably a better shooter from deep though. Durant is at least as good a shooter, if not better. Both Lebron and Durant have better handles. I think Durant and Lebron are also slightly better rebounders than Rudy.

Edit: I do agree that the Grizzlies do a poor job of getting Rudy in situations where he can take advantage of mismatches and whatnot. Their coaching is fairly poor. They also have zero shooters to space the floor for him.

H

huskymagic

Honestly stop embarrassing yourself. Do you watch the NBA? Or do you just see a highlight or two? Do you think Blake Griffin is the 2nd most talented? That is really the dumbest comment I have seen on this site, and there is a moronic comment posted every 10 min around here.

If Rudy was the most talented player in the NBA and is the player that he is now and has achieved what he has then he is the laziest and most under performing player in the league.

I hate Lebron but he has about 25x more talent than Rudy.

Blake Griffin is good but just average as a basketball player I have already commented on him hes just a great athlete and has some physicality other than that he gets bothered by size and weight(Gasol and Zebo).

My basketball knowledge has already been proven here so i dont think i need to justify this its already been justified and not worth repeating as i have already done many times.

Rudy is nowhere near at his max potential thats how good he is. He is not even at 30 percent of his full capabilities. He has proven to be clutch last 2 games thats a good sign for this memphis team.

Lionel Hollins is to blame the way he runs his offense, but also Rudy becomes passive at time. Memphis needs another 2 guard and if they play their offense through Mike Conley and Rudy first and then let Zebo and Gasol get touches later Memphis can contend for a title and win.

RUDY THE ROGER FEDERER OF THE NBA

H

huskymagic

I just don't see how Rudy is the most talented player in the NBA. I need you to clear define what you mean by talent.

Rudy is probably the 3rd most athletically gifted small forward behind Durant and Lebron. I don't think he is a ton behind those guys in terms of raw athletic ability, but he lacks the length of Durant and the strength of Lebron. He just will never match Durant's length and I don't think he could maintain his smoothness if he got up to the 250-260 Lebron plays at. The only other small forward who I consider better than Rudy is Carmelo, who is a better shooter and similarly gifted aside from that.

If you are talking about skills, Lebron is a much more skilled passer than Rudy. Rudy is probably a better shooter from deep though. Durant is at least as good a shooter, if not better. Both Lebron and Durant have better handles. I think Durant and Lebron are also slightly better rebounders than Rudy.

Edit: I do agree that the Grizzlies do a poor job of getting Rudy in situations where he can take advantage of mismatches and whatnot. Their coaching is fairly poor. They also have zero shooters to space the floor for him.

Caw in terms of athleticism Rudy is tied for first with Lebron. Durant is behind both Rudy and Lebron in overall athleticism.Carmelo doesnt qualify here.

Rudy is a better shooter than lebron and is just as good of a shooter as Durant is but has a much better shooting form and technique than both guys.Lebron has a better handle and passes better than both Rudy and Durant, but its not by much.

Rudy is much smoother and much more gifted than Durant. Durant is a harder worker and has a killer instinct which along with his size makes him an elite player.

Durant and Lebron have reached their potential, but Rudy isnt even close yet thats how scary good Rudy is going to be in the next couple of years if Memphis gets some more shooter and a better coach.

Reaction Score
Caw in terms of athleticism Rudy is tied for first with Lebron. Durant is behind both Rudy and Lebron in overall athleticism.Carmelo doesnt qualify here.

Rudy is a better shooter than lebron and is just as good of a shooter as Durant is but has a much better shooting form and technique than both guys.Lebron has a better handle and passes better than both Rudy and Durant, but its not by much.

Rudy is much smoother and much more gifted than Durant. Durant is a harder worker and has a killer instinct which along with his size makes him an elite player.

Durant and Lebron have reached their potential, but Rudy isnt even close yet thats how scary good Rudy is going to be in the next couple of years if Memphis gets some more shooter and a better coach.

Wow. All I can say is wow. You have proven how little you know about basketball and how, no offense, dumb you are.

How old are you honestly?

Also, you claim Rudy has not reached his potential and cite his age, yet Durant has but Durant is two years younger.

If Rudy is a better shooter then KD then why does he have a lower FG and 3point FG %? Rudy also has a higher percentage of his shots inside 10 feet then Durant does and still his % are worse.

Dude just give up you are embarrassing yourself.

Reaction Score
Blake Griffin is good but just average as a basketball player I have already commented on him hes just a great athlete and has some physicality other than that he gets bothered by size and weight(Gasol and Zebo).

My basketball knowledge has already been proven here so i dont think i need to justify this its already been justified and not worth repeating as i have already done many times.

Rudy is nowhere near at his max potential thats how good he is. He is not even at 30 percent of his full capabilities. He has proven to be clutch last 2 games thats a good sign for this memphis team.

Lionel Hollins is to blame the way he runs his offense, but also Rudy becomes passive at time. Memphis needs another 2 guard and if they play their offense through Mike Conley and Rudy first and then let Zebo and Gasol get touches later Memphis can contend for a title and win.

RUDY THE ROGER FEDERER OF THE NBA
It's funny you associate Roder Federer with grace, style and effortlessness, because most people associate him with winning a ton of championships.

I think next you should start a thread talking about how you think the earth is flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom