Rothstein on the AAC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rothstein on the AAC

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Anyone want to argue that USF won't finish last in the league? No? Oh alright.

Reaction Score
It's a pretty fair analysis by Rothstein given how we have performed last several years.

Putting BJ Taylor first team and not Jalen is a direct snub at Jalen and he as well as the whole team should take this stuff personally.

PS: Landry Shamet is a good player and deserving of the recognition. Go watch how he played against Kentucky in the NCAAs. Jalen now has both Shake and Landry as 2 high level NBA level point guards to go against and elevate his game.

Scoring 20 on Kentucky on a nice shooting night doesnt wipe out his very poor performances against Louisville, MSU, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. Basically the only other good teams they played all year. Is he good? Sure he is a nice player. I just think Adams has more upside and hopefully we all see it this year. Sometimes I laugh at how the Kentucky Impact tends to overvalue players/teams such as this tourney game. He played great but let's look at the whole body of work.

Marshall is a great coach. Arguably the best in the country. So there is always some risk putting limitations on his teams. Jmho

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I think our overall national perception in the last few years has definitely hurt Adams.

Going into his junior year, he's as poised to be a stud as our prior studs, but those teams were mostly in the national conversation.

He deserves to be thought highly of, but its no surprise he isn't getting the same run as he probably deserves.

The team ranking is justified. Both should be used as bulletin board material.

Reaction Score
I love the rocket scientists like you know that already know before the season starts how many AAC make the tourney.....if 5 AAC teams are worthy then 5 will get in, if 4 are worthy then 4 will get in...I would say right now the AAC could have 5 potential tourney teams but who knows & who cares right now.

Yup. People on this board are in for a surprise if they think it's going to be the same AAC that it's been for the last three years. There are seven or eight different teams that have legitimate tournament aspirations and probably five or so with top 25 type talent.

The TV contract is a disaster, but geographically speaking, they did a very good job assembling this conference. I think we're starting to see the pay-off of schools like UCF and Houston recruiting AAC players instead of whatever the hell they were recruiting previously. These days, they aren't quite as hapless. Save for a couple of games there won't be many gimmes this year.

It's on the teams to prove it in the non-conference, though. They haven't done a great job of that.

Reaction Score
I love the rocket scientists like you know that already know before the season starts how many AAC make the tourney.....if 5 AAC teams are worthy then 5 will get in, if 4 are worthy then 4 will get in...I would say right now the AAC could have 5 potential tourney teams but who knows & who cares right now.

What makes the AAC so special this year as opposed to others to make you think that 5 will convince the committee enough to put them in. When has the committee shown us that they have any confidence in the AAC. Especially with UConns supposed down year (again). The committee has ZERO respect for this conference.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
What makes the AAC so special this year as opposed to others to make you think that 5 will convince the committee enough to put them in. When has the committee shown us that they have any confidence in the AAC. Especially with UConns supposed down year (again). The committee has ZERO respect for this conference.

No one wanted this conference to exist.

The NCAA selection committee loves to drive that point home. One year, it was treated well....the others, not so much.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
No one wanted this conference to exist.

The NCAA selection committee loves to drive that point home. One year, it was treated well....the others, not so much.
Yeah, the year Lousiville was still in it and the dregs (they know who they are) weren't.

Reaction Score
Wichita St might be a preseason top 5 team, definitely top 10. They'd be favored to win one or two "power" conferences, let alone the AAC.

As good as they are, this a big change for them and they will be at a disadvantage relative to the familiarity the other AAC teams have with each other. They will have a few unexpected slip ups. I'd pick them to finish second behind cincy.

Reaction Score
Don't think of these Opponents as UCF or Houston. They are Programs.

And with that ... nobody should be surprised that Kelvin Sampson has a competitive Program. And watch Johnny Dawkins. He's actually quickly brought good things to the table. They are in some stark contrast to whomever proceeded them. And then ... tough games. For us Seton Hall was an easy win back in the day when Raftery was HC; and Mullaney at PC. Got better quick.

Reaction Score
The one thing I will say in defense of the (typically loathsome) committee is that they've been fairly consistent. For all the griping about how poorly SMU has been seeded, they haven't beaten anybody OOC. And for as much of a joke as their seeding of 2014 Louisville was, the same could have been said of that team.

You can earn a high seed in a non-power league just as long as you impress OOC. It's unfair, because power schools aren't held to those same standards, but at least it's evident at this point. Wherever the AAC is ranked as a league heading into conference play will determine how they are treated come tournament time. If the league surprises and ranks 3rd or 4th in conference RPI, you'll see teams get rewarded. If it's 7th or 8th like it has been, they won't be.

Reaction Score

I'm not saying 5 teams will get in but if the teams perform well on the court who knows..........by adding Wichita St & with UCF trending up (& usual suspects of Cincy, SMU, UConn) the AAC has more legitimate depth. I know UConn will have a really good non-conf schedule.........if they can win some of those games & some vs the top of the conference they will be fine this year. The AAC has a chance to do some damage in tourney with Wichita, Cincy looking really good & hopefully UConn joining the party.

quote-if-you-can-t-be-with-the-one-you-love-love-the-one-you-re-with-stephen-stills-178762.jpg

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I thought it was fair. If not just a tad optimistic.

Is UConn back?

It all depends on the frontcourt. The backbone of the Huskies’ program during Jim Calhoun’s latter years was the ability to protect the front of the rim. The person who fills that role for this team is still yet to be determined. With Amida Brimah exhausting all of his eligibility and Juwan Durham and Steve Enoch opting to transfer, UConn has major questions in the middle.

Nevertheless, as long as Alterique Gilbert and Terry Larrier — two players who played in a combined seven games a year ago due to season-ending injuries — are healthy, Kevin Ollie will have enough firepower on his perimeter to keep opposing defenses honest. Those two guys — along with Jalen Adams, Christian Vital, and Fordham grad transfer Antwoine Anderson — are more than enough to stabilize the backcourt, but who on this team is going to rebound?

UConn’s top returnee on the boards is Larrier, who averaged five rebounds in the four games he played last season. Freshman big man Josh Carlton, Cornell grad transfer David Onuorah, and JUCO transfer Eric Cobb are going to have to rebound the ball if this team is going to return to the NCAA Tournament.

Another thing to monitor with the Huskies? A brutal early-season schedule. UConn will play three games in the PK80, face Syracuse at Madison Square Garden, and travel to both Arizona and Auburn before Christmas.
What can you disagree with in that summary? We just need Onuorah, Cobb and Carlton to combine to produce decent PF-center numbers. That's not unreasonable. We've had success with a center by committee before.

I think that this team is going to surprise people and has a shot at being pretty good come February.

Last edited:

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

Is UConn back?

It all depends on the frontcourt. The backbone of the Huskies’ program during Jim Calhoun’s latter years was the ability to protect the front of the rim. The person who fills that role for this team is still yet to be determined. With Amida Brimah exhausting all of his eligibility and Juwan Durham and Steve Enoch opting to transfer, UConn has major questions in the middle.

Nevertheless, as long as Alterique Gilbert and Terry Larrier — two players who played in a combined seven games a year ago due to season-ending injuries — are healthy, Kevin Ollie will have enough firepower on his perimeter to keep opposing defenses honest. Those two guys — along with Jalen Adams, Christian Vital, and Fordham grad transfer Antwoine Anderson — are more than enough to stabilize the backcourt, but who on this team is going to rebound?

UConn’s top returnee on the boards is Larrier, who averaged five rebounds in the four games he played last season. Freshman big man Josh Carlton, Cornell grad transfer David Onuorah, and JUCO transfer Eric Cobb are going to have to rebound the ball if this team is going to return to the NCAA Tournament.

Another thing to monitor with the Huskies? A brutal early-season schedule. UConn will play three games in the PK80, face Syracuse at Madison Square Garden, and travel to both Arizona and Auburn before Christmas.
What can you disagree with in that summary? We just need Onuorah, Cobb and Carlton to combine to produce decent PF-center numbers. That's not unreasonable. We've had success with a center by committee before.

I think that this team is going to surprise people and has a shot at being pretty good come February.

Good post. Nothing further to add, I think it's spot on.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think our overall national perception in the last few years has definitely hurt Adams.

Going into his junior year, he's as poised to be a stud as our prior studs, but those teams were mostly in the national conversation.

He deserves to be thought highly of, but its no surprise he isn't getting the same run as he probably deserves.

The team ranking is justified. Both should be used as bulletin board material.

Real question. Were we in the national conversation in 2014?

Reaction Score

Is UConn back?

Call it summer optimism but I think Diarra will be a strong rebounder for us

Reaction Score
Call it summer optimism but I think Diarra will be a strong rebounder for us
I just think with the law of averages someone has to step up. We have so many mediocre/average bigs that someone is gonna have to seize some playing time. My money is on Diarra/Onuarah early. Hopefully Carlton by the end of the season

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I understand Wichita State being first, and even Cinci 2nd. Beyond that? SMU has lost too much, Semi was the glue to that team. UCF? I don't see them being better than the Huskies. My prediction is 2nd place for UConn. Wichita State will be good, but will realize that this league is tougher than the MVC.

Reaction Score
I understand Wichita State being first, and even Cinci 2nd. Beyond that? SMU has lost too much, Semi was the glue to that team. UCF? I don't see them being better than the Huskies. My prediction is 2nd place for UConn. Wichita State will be good, but will realize that this league is tougher than the MVC.

Nobody thought SMU was going to go 17-1 this year after losing Nic Moore, Markus Kennedy, and Larry Brown. At a certain point, the team that has won the conference title two of the last three years (and if we're being honest, they likely would have won it again in 2016 if they were eligible) and compiled a 45-9 record deserves the benefit of the doubt. They still bring back a lot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom