OT: - Rothstein - Big East could play 20 conference games if it adds 11th team | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Rothstein - Big East could play 20 conference games if it adds 11th team

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
B1G doing the same in 18-19. ACC in 19-20
SEC will be next. Will be interesting to see if Pac-12 goes to 20 even though they have 12 teams.

Reaction Score
Based solely on where they finished last year, Xavier was 7th in the Big East. I'd take Xavier over Temple in a nano-second, and it's not very close.

So what??? Both Xavier and Temple are different teams than they were last year.

Temple last year didn't have Josh Brown and a Sophomore Quentin Rose, along with the NC Freshman class. Rose will be one of the biggest talents in the country this year.

Xavier is also stronger this year than they were last year. They wont be 7th.

7th is likely to be Butler, sans Chris Holtmann, Kyle Young, Cooper Neese, etc. Jordan hasn't peed a drop as a HC. His first season at Milwaukee was pedestrian to be polite.

Making assumptions based on last year is not the most wise thing to do around here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Big East had 7 teams in the field last year.SEVEN. I dare say that will never happen in the AAC. What's the most the AAC has gotten? 4? And we all know how the seedings have gone.

It's too bad the NBE can't bottle up last season and relive it again.
I'm sure the MVC wishes they could've frozen time and replayed that season they had close to a decade ago.
For that matter, the MWC had multiple bids a few years ago and now they're a 1 bid conference.

Point being, that was last year. The committee was very generous. They were so generous in fact that Butler got poached by Ohio State because they looked cherry sitting there.

I couldn't care less if 7 never happens in the AAC. A 4+ conference is perfectly fine with me, provided that UConn pulls its weight consistently as one of the ramrods.

The NBE will be close to that same range. You can't use a high water mark and assume that its a constant. Not when they are hiring coaches on the reputation they had as a player at their schools. If they were luring the big marlin HCs to come to their schools than I might see why you are frothing at the mouth.

College sports is a coach driven business and I think the AAC has the better coaches.

All of the other sports (which conspicuously includes football) are better in the AAC.

Last edited:

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
So what??? Both Xavier and Temple are different teams than they were last year.

Temple last year didn't have Josh Brown and a Sophomore Quentin Rose, along with the NC Freshman class. Rose will be one of the biggest talents in the country this year.

Xavier is also stronger this year than they were last year. They wont be 7th.

7th is likely to be Butler, sans Chris Holtmann, Kyle Young, Cooper Neese, etc. Jordan hasn't peed a drop as a HC. His first season at Milwaukee was pedestrian to be polite.

Making assumptions based on last year is not the most wise thing to do around here.
In Eggsaviers defense, they lost their starting PG for the season at the end of January and their best player had an ankle injury that was partly responsible for a 6 game losing streak down the stretch.

With that being said there was only a 1 game difference between 3rd and 7th place (a bunch of mediocre teams). Eggsavier was the probably the 2nd best team in the Big East when healthy. That comparison to Temple is not fair.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Other than Wright, there is simply no one that can match the resumé of Ollie, Marshall, Tuby Smith or even Cronin.
Chris Mack has a better resume than lil Micky.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I actually think it's pretty close to zero today and worry that every hoops game we play as a member of the AAC is one game we are closer to irrelevance or even extinction as we know it. I'm not a non-football fan, I just don't see any way we become a truly viable P5 program and am incredibly worried it continues to tarnish our hoops pedigree, which is my #1 concern by a mile. Just my opinion.

It's close to 0% today, but as we've seen, and experienced, that can change in an instant. Too hard to predict the landscape

C

chiller99.5

Cant get away from the fact I hate the aac and its rednecks...dont watch any other conference games except ours and the endless drivel from Eastern Carolina etc just wears thin

Reaction Score
Fake News! I'll believe it when it happens. Until then, we are stuck in the AAC and those 1500 mile plane rides for our athletic teams... not just bball.

Reaction Score
Fake News! I'll believe it when it happens. Until then, we are stuck in the AAC and those 1500 mile plane rides for our athletic teams... not just bball.

A plane ride is a plane ride.

Just a little less uninterrupted time with the algebra book.

Reaction Score
Cant get away from the fact I hate the aac and its rednecks...dont watch any other conference games except ours and the endless drivel from Eastern Carolina etc just wears thin

Is it really southerners? Or is it more of a basketball versus football problem?

To have a decent football conference, UConn should be playing 'rednecks' in those football crazy states..

If UConn just wants to play sports in a smaller Northern bubble, than a Hoops-only league can accomplish that.

I like what Randy is doing. I'll enjoy watching him build the program back up again.

C

chiller99.5

Speaking for myself, if you do something well ...keep on doing it. We have done basketball very very well in the past ..Watching a Giants ,Pats or Jets game once a week is plenty of football for me and I have no intentions of watching any aac rivals play anytime soon. I also said rednecks not southerners, and if you have ever been or stationed in eastern NC you know exactly what I mean. I know not of this sports bubble you speak of, Ive watched UCONN hoop on air craft carriers and tournaments all over the world against every conference known to man.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Speaking for myself, if you do something well ...keep on doing it. We have done basketball very very well in the past ..Watching a Giants ,Pats or Jets game once a week is plenty of football for me and I have no intentions of watching any aac rivals play anytime soon. I also said rednecks not southerners, and if you have ever been or stationed in eastern NC you know exactly what I mean. I know not of this sports bubble you speak of, Ive watched UCONN hoop on air craft carriers and tournaments all over the world against every conference known to man.

Have fun watching them match up against A10 and MWC as "marquee OOC opponents" when the P5 cartel breaks off and (shocker) doesn't take the Big East with it.

Reaction Score

What does this even mean? Is he saying that the NBE has better schools and coaches then the real Big East did? Did Calhoun and Boeheim not count because their schools also played football?
Maybe he's comparing them to someone else, I don't know.
Of course Providence has relevance within the Big East now that it didn't then, so no wonder he's psyched about UConn, Syracuse, Pitt and even Louisville and ND being gone.

C

chiller99.5

You must have a hotline to Miss Cleo with that drivel btw basing your hopes on RE who failed miserably in a power conference seems logical? Like I said speaking for myself...I dont ride the "football drives the bus" train of thought high school football is less than mediocre in CT and the draw is minimal....hold on to that I hope they take us with them thought its been so successful so far

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You must have a hotline to Miss Cleo with that drivel btw basing your hopes on RE who failed miserably in a power conference seems logical? Like I said speaking for myself...I dont ride the "football drives the bus" train of thought high school football is less than mediocre in CT and the draw is minimal....hold on to that I hope they take us with them thought its been so successful so far

Not drivel at all. Anyone who knows anything about where college sports are headed knows that the P5 schools have been taking every conceivable step to separate themselves from the rest in the hopes of a clean break.

The argument that Edsall's tenure at Maryland means he can't stabilize a program a tier down and make it just as attractive to a power conference the others it's competing with? Fallacious at best.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
uconn would be fine if they'd win in the conference they're in and make some noise come tournament time. Football will get better. And when it does I hope the AAC teams in the top 25 are still good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom