OT: - Rothstein - Big East could play 20 conference games if it adds 11th team | The Boneyard

OT: Rothstein - Big East could play 20 conference games if it adds 11th team

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Yeah, I know what you mean and agree. Still, it would nice to play MBB games against teams I give a crap about.

What's the implication? Dropping football? I would be strongly against that as well.

Make no mistake about it. There's no option of FBS Independence or FCS. It's AAC for everything or Big East and no football.

Reaction Score
Seriously? We have a thread on what "Fanrag Sports" reported? Why not on the Denver Guardian's view of conference realignment?
He also contributes to CBS Sports if that means anything (and I'm not implying it does or doesn't, to me that just means the guy can hold down a job).

Reaction Score
Um...if BigEast opens the door you go. Look no further than this 2017 & 2018 recruiting class. We just lost 3 top 50 players to Providence. One was our former commit in Makai and then 2018 signees David Duke and AJ Reeves. The amount of time and resources we spent on recruiting that trio was enormous and Ed Cooley pulled a hat trick. Is Ed a nice guy? Sure. But all three didn't go there because of Ed they went because NBE hoops is 1000x better than being in the AAC at present time.

Having said that if we remain committed to P5 or bust UConn needs to pull their own weight in the AAC. Other good programs in the conference like Cincy and SMU have done their part by largely maintaining top 25 rankings during the regular season. They need deeper runs in the tourney but we all know that. The addition of Wichita State has been grossly overlooked. They make this conference so much better from a quality perspective. I know they don't add a ton of television screens but neither do Creighton or Butler. Give me a consistently top 25 team added to the conference and i'm fine with purgatory a little longer. We need to shoulder more weight as the flagship program of the conference. This year should be a step in that direction and I'm really hoping it all comes together next year for a deep run.

Reaction Score
I've been a P5 or bust guy all along, but after 5 years in the dumpster fire AAC I'm starting to warm up to the Big East. I think Ollie would kill it on the recruiting trail in a better conference and it would be nice to have some actual conference rivalries again.

Reaction Score
Fanrag is Rothstein's site, and as much as I think the guy is annoying, he's pretty in-the-know for non-P5 conferences.

That is my mistake and I apologize to the poster who started the thread. I just reacted to the posts and not the tweet (because I can't open them on my work computer).

Reaction Score
What's the implication? Dropping football? I would be strongly against that as well.

Make no mistake about it. There's no option of FBS Independence or FCS. It's AAC for everything or Big East and no football.
For my money, in my opinion we hedge our bet and go back to Big East and let football land where it may. I don't see any viable path for us getting to a P5 and I'd rather take my chances that the likes of UConn, Nova, Georgetown, Gonzaga hoops can survive in the new world with no football than be permanently banished to the AAC, where I think our recruiting will continue to suffer and our football will continue to be irrelevant and cost the school money.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
For my money, in my opinion we hedge our bet and go back to Big East and let football land where it may. I don't see any viable path for us getting to a P5 and I'd rather take my chances that the likes of UConn, Nova, Georgetown, Gonzaga hoops can survive in the new world with no football than be permanently banished to the AAC, where I think our recruiting will continue to suffer and our football will continue to be irrelevant and cost the school money.

Let football land where it may, means the dissolution of the football program.

If you're a hoop fan and that's what you want, then so be it.

Just know the little shot we have at a P5 bid as it stands today, become 0.00% without a football program.

Reaction Score
FanRag Sports also reported last winter that the Big East and the UConn Huskies had initial talks regarding a potential partnership, but needed to find a solution and a new home for the Huskies’ football program.

What's the definition of Initial talks?

"Hello AD Dave, this is the Big East calling. Would you have an interest in joining us for B-Ball? You would have to find a new home for football."

AD Dave " No Thanks but thanks for calling.

News Flash: Big East and the UConn Huskies had initial talks regarding a potential partnership, but needed to find a solution and a new home for the Huskies’ football program.

Reaction Score
Uh..NO

Reaction Score
I've been a P5 or bust guy all along, but after 5 years in the dumpster fire AAC I'm starting to warm up to the Big East. I think Ollie would kill it on the recruiting trail in a better conference and it would be nice to have some actual conference rivalries again.

Don't look now but the AAC is becoming a pretty good basketball conference. I wouldn't be surprised in the least, if within several years it is considered to be a stronger league than the NBE.

Reaction Score
Don't look now but the AAC is becoming a pretty good basketball conference. I wouldn't be surprised in the least, if within several years it is considered to be a stronger league than the NBE.
don't we have 3 football programs in the top 25 right now too?

Edit: I can't believe I'm defending the AAC, but I'm defending the AAC.........

Last edited:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
don't we have 3 football programs in the top 25 right now too?

And a fourth team receiving votes. From a Sagarin ratings standpoint, the AAC West is rated right next to the SEC East. I'm not kidding about that.

It's a very solid football conference. And success in football is what drives the P5 bus. If folks want us to be playing bball in the ACC soon instead of the AAC, there's only one avenue to get there. And it ain't by dropping football...

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
I'd rather just have the AAC add VCU or something and stick it out. It's a decent football conference and a fairly solid basketball conference. Wichita should help quite a bit. If we start winning some more games, we should be fine.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom