Roscoe Watch | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Roscoe Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

caw

Reaction Score
They do count as far as the NCAA is concerned, but not the Feds.

The new school gets credited for the graduation in the GSR. On the new school's APR, it has no impact since the APR has nothing to do with graduation.

For the old school, there is no benefit to GSR. The only benefit is for APR but that benefit ends when they leave the old school in good standing.

In other words, Roscoe did not hurt UConn's APR when he left because he wasn't in good standing either. But Roscoe also did not help UConn's APR when he left because you get 1 point for a player simply returning to school (and Roscoe didn't return). I presume that UConn was not hurt for that 1 point because he was deemed exempt.

All in all, it works out like this:

UNLV gets a + on its GSR
UConn does not receive a + or a minus on either GSR nor APR

In terms of official federal rates, Oregon is NOT credited with a graduation, but it is also not docked for a failure to graduate. UConn on the other hand is docked for Roscoe's failure to graduate from UConn.

Wait you must mean "was in good standing" no?

Reaction Score
Calhoun had a bad habit in the last few years of opting for security blankets at times - Gavin Edwards and Tyler Olander were two largely limited players who got more minutes than they would have if they'd shown up ten years earlier.

That Tyler got almost 18 minutes a game that season was just nuts - our penance for that bit of idiocy is watching Roscoe Smith collect basketballs like he thinks they're made of gold.
I see what you're saying but I disagree about Edwards. He was a competent backup as a junior and was a very solid player as a senior. He's not a fabled UConn post-player but he was actually pretty athletic, had a great bball IQ and put up good numbers his senior year. I'd definitely put him on this year's team if I could. He'd be an answer to the rebounding/defensive (aside from shotblocking) and offensive woes of the bigs...

That said I realize this post is more about safety guy Tyler taking away developmental minutes from the up-and-down Roscoe, which I too, retroactively groan about.

Reaction Score
I know I've said this before & I don't want to beat it to death, but Roscoe's leaving still bugs me. He told me to my face that he was staying. I'm wondering if his academics had anything to do with his sudden departure. If he was on shaky ground academically, would that have affected the APR in a negative way more than a transfer would have?

No. In fact, most of the reason for our terrible APR in the mid-late 00's was the constant parade of transfers of guys who never should have been here and couldn't hack it either academically or basketball-wise.

If you transfer, your former school is held to a higher standard (must leave with a GPA > 2.3) in order to avoid being docked APR points. I believe the standard for continuing players is only >2.0.

Reaction Score
43 f'in rebounds in two games. Daniels, Nolan, Brimah, and Olander have combined for 35 rebounds all season. Not only would he pretty much eradicate our rebounding woes, but he could also bang on the block with stronger fours in ways that Giffey and Olander cannot. We have an elite offense right now; if Roscoe were here, we'd have an elite defense, too. Imagine how ridiculously stingy a Napier-Giffey-Daniels-Smith-Brimah lineup would have been. Sigh.

Don't worry I'm sure our resident BY genius ZennConn has a perfectly reasonable explanation for this 21 reb performance :rolleyes:. PLEASE can mauconn and fluedy throw some water balloons at that guy? PLEASE!

Double sigh...I still hold out hope though that we have the ingredients to persevere and improve our rebounding weaknesses (no water balloons for that hope card ok)?

BRIMAH :) You are our shining star of hope! Hopefully he is eating and lifting weights between classes and practice.

Reaction Score
The guy who benefitted the most was probably Omar. No Roscoe meant DD to the 4, opening the door for Omar to start and play heavy minutes from day one.

As I said up thread, I don't think Facey comes if Roscoe is here, even though they would have overlapped by only a year - too much immediate competition. And if he did, then no scholarship would have been there for Brimah. So it could work out in the end, but if we were a pro team right now and could trade four years of Facey for one of Roscoe, we'd probably have to do it. Immediate needs for a championship contender taking precedence over future potential.

Reaction Score
Don't worry I'm sure our resident BY genius ZennConn has a perfectly reasonable explanation for this 21 reb performance :rolleyes:. PLEASE can mauconn and fluedy throw some water balloons at that guy? PLEASE!

Double sigh...I still hold out hope though that we have the ingredients to persevere and improve our rebounding weaknesses (no water balloons for that hope card ok)?

BRIMAH :) You are our shining star of hope! Hopefully he is eating and lifting weights between classes and practice.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
NBADraft.net now has Roscoe going as a first round pick this year.

Reaction Score
Roscoe is a beast on the boards this year. He is playing with so much energy and excitement. He would NEVER see a minute playing for Calhoun the way he was showboating and screaming and jumping up and down over a decent play with plenty of time left in the game. Was kind of surprised he didn't get a T when he was taunting the opposing player that Birch blocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom