Roscoe Smith Averaging 12/15 at UNLV | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Roscoe Smith Averaging 12/15 at UNLV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
care to argue?

I think you could make the argument that Roscoe Smith is a better player than DeAndre as of today. He's averaging an absurd 20 rebounds per 40 minutes. But I also think DeAndre has a higher ceiling than Roscoe - there aren't many forwards in America who can score as effortlessly as he can.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Deandre wants to wear the Husky uniform......enough said right?
When he and AO left, you and I both stated that if we could choose only 1 to remain we wanted RS because he was a better defender. But I absolutely would not trade DD for RS based on the overall game DD has that RS is missing. This is besides the factor that RS thought the grass was greener in the desert.

I wish him well at UNLV because he didn't bad mouth the program. But I'm perfectly happy with this team without him.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
We need rebounding more than offense.
UConn is 4-2 without DD. No way we know if RS makes up the points that DD brought to those two games he carried the team. OC is still too streaky to be a reliable scorer right now. NG can be guarded and neutralized. That puts a lot of pressure on SN and RB. RS would be a better version of PN on the floor. But his rebounding wouldn't necessarily offset his limitations on offense.

If I could have my wishes, I would like RS to be on this team to play some five while PN and AB develop. But that is not happening so I'm perfectly content to focus on our loyal players and watch their development. I think that by last part of this season Nolan will be sufficient to produce at the five and we will be very happy RS chose to leave allowing DD to develop.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
So last year we has an AO post every few days, now we'll get one on Roscoe. Then we're done with transfers for a while, right? We can hope?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I wish he had stayed but I still wish him well. I wonder if he regrets leaving? The team seems really close.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I would take Lebron as well. Same argument with same results.
what?
I think you could make the argument that Roscoe Smith is a better player than DeAndre as of today. He's averaging an absurd 20 rebounds per 40 minutes. But I also think DeAndre has a higher ceiling than Roscoe - there aren't many forwards in America who can score as effortlessly as he can.
agree with all but he doesn't score effortlessly. hes been too inconsistent this year

Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/51456/roscoe-smith

I wish we still had him. I'm glad that he is excelling at UNLV

What happens in Vegas is supposed to stay in Vegas...This unless we face them in a west regionl in the tourney...

Can't see a wish for someone to be here that does not want to be. Simply a distraction for what is a team effort. I wish him well also, but players most often head down the road when they can't cut the mustard where they are....

Reaction Score
Not that nbadraft.net is reliable, but their latest mock draft has Roscoe getting picked in the first round -26 OKC. His team isn't winning, but give him credit for putting up impressive rebound numbers.

Reaction Score
Draft Express doesn't have him going in the first 2 rounds, which is closer to reality I think. He can't play the 3 in college, let alone the league and he's way undersized to be a 4.

Tweener

Not that nbadraft.net is reliable, but their latest mock draft has Roscoe getting picked in the first round -26 OKC. His team isn't winning, but give him credit for putting up impressive rebound numbers.

Reaction Score
I love the kid and wish him the best. 100% effort every minute he was on the floor. I hope he gets drafted and makes millions.

Reaction Score
I love the kid and wish him the best. 100% effort every minute he was on the floor. I hope he gets drafted and makes millions.
Amen, the kid was a big contributor to our 3rd NC. I wish him nothing but good going forward. Let's root for and be happy with the considerable talent we do have.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Roscoe gives his all out there. He absolutely stuffed Aaron Gordon on one play and he totally sacrifices his body to get rebounds. He also moves his feet very well to get into defensive position (regrettably, his teammates often don't follow suit). UNLV is hanging tough with U of AZ in the first half.

For offensive rebounds, he plays possum that he isn't going anywhere and then times a quick sprint to get into position for the OR. Reminds me a lot of Rodman.

Then he just stuffed Tarczewski, the 7 footer

Reaction Score
Draft Express doesn't have him going in the first 2 rounds, which is closer to reality I think. He can't play the 3 in college, let alone the league and he's way undersized to be a 4.

Tweener
Shocker that this comes from Captain Negative. I think Roscoe has a legit chance of making the league.

Reaction Score
Roscoe has zero chance of making the league!

10 and 6 in 35 minutes vs a real team.........don't get me wrong he's still a nice college player but for those who would rather have Roscoe over Deandre you might want to rethink that one!

Reaction Score
I would take Roscoe over Deandre in a heartbeat. We have plenty of scorers. He would be our best rebounder by far.

Reaction Score
I would take Roscoe over Deandre in a heartbeat. We have plenty of scorers. He would be our best rebounder by far.

Entitled to your opinion bass (and I respect it).........9-0 without a rebounder would probably be 8-1, 7-2 with "our best rebounder" instead of our best big threat on offense......just sayin'

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Much lower numbers against Arizona, but damn we could use him. He was solid against zona.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Since having Roscoe back is pure fantasy at this point there is no reason to say having Roscoe would mean no DD. I would love a scenario with a lineup of Roscoe, DD, NG, RB and Bazz (with LK, AB and OC off the bench) would be something to behold. Obviously thin and short on the interior but all five could handle, pass and shoot (Roscoe has a much improved mid-range shot)....all have could to excellent lateral quickness, so they could double and recover to shooters quickly...it would be an excellent pressing team and the ball movement on offense would be impressive. Best of all, PN, AB and KF would learn how to the pursue the ball, snatch the ball and all the other skills that Roscoe is now displaying as an interior player from playing against him in practice every day.

Reaction Score
Since having Roscoe back is pure fantasy at this point there is no reason to say having Roscoe would mean no DD. I would love a scenario with a lineup of Roscoe, DD, NG, RB and Bazz (with LK, AB and OC off the bench) would be something to behold. Obviously thin and short on the interior but all five could handle, pass and shoot (Roscoe has a much improved mid-range shot)....all have could to excellent lateral quickness, so they could double and recover to shooters quickly...it would be an excellent pressing team and the ball movement on offense would be impressive. Best of all, PN, AB and KF would learn how to the pursue the ball, snatch the ball and all the other skills that Roscoe is now displaying as an interior player from playing against him in practice every day.

Agreed and all these thoughts are purely fantasy as you say......my point in the comparison is DD potentially would have not stayed a Husky with Roscoe here or the shared minutes would not have allowed him to gain confidence, or maybe no Kromah or Giffey? I like what we have no need to actually speculate on a kid who didn't know how good he had it as far as I'm concerned. Wish him well, move on for me.........although I did bring it up didn't i?:oops:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Goodman was doing his usual trolling by pointing out to UConn fans that Roscoe is leading the country in rebounding and that sparked these tweets from an NBA analyst at ESPN. I don't get how it took Dave Rice to make him see the light instead of someone who played in the NBA for over a decade.

Amin Elhassan
@AminESPN
RE: @GoodmanESPN tweet. I remember talking to Kevin Ollie 2 yrs ago bout how much better Roscoe would be if he just embraced being stretch 4

Amin Elhassan
@AminESPN
Good to see the kid figure things out, albeit not with the people who tried to encourage him correctly earlier on!

Amin Elhassan
@AminESPN
Unfortunately, this is norm for many young players both college & pro. Dont like hearing constructive criticism,flee then learn the hard way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom