Roscoe or Daniels at 3 ? | The Boneyard

Roscoe or Daniels at 3 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From what I've read about Daniels it appears he is an instant impact, game changing scorer to be likely 1 and done. Then ProAm came and I read that he is a role player on this year's team. Has anyone seen him scrimmage? What kind of player is he?

Reaction Score
I have watched a few of his games online and he is so far from a role player it is stupid. He could be talented enough that R Smith is is fighting for time by mid-season and you would have to be a future NBA player to take any big minutes away form R Smith this year. He can shoot the ball well from any range- very good at creating his own shot and has a great handle. He MAY be good enough to give J Lamb some time off at the two- that's how good he could be. Really there is no weakness but youth- that why Dook, Uk and Texas were all over this kid for several years before he came to UCONN.

Roscoe will start- I would be very very surprised if DD started over RS unless RS was hurt or had a really bad few games but last year he had to be one of the hardest working players on the floor every game- love the kid.

I might add that while Boat will not start this year- just like Bazz did not start last year- he really looks a lot like Kemba in his HS tapes. We picked up 2 errrrrrrr 3 really good players.

Reaction Score
having an offensive weapon off the bench is huge.

Boatright can really pass.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I think Daniels will start when all is said and done. He will prove to be a more versatile player.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
From what I've read about Daniels it appears he is an instant impact, game changing scorer to be likely 1 and done. Then ProAm came and I read that he is a role player on this year's team. Has anyone seen him scrimmage? What kind of player is he?

I have said it before that ballhandling could be an issue with this team. I would not write Giffey off just yet.

Reaction Score
I have said it before that ballhandling could be an issue with this team. I would not write Giffey off just yet.

ball handling? Shabazz, boatright, Lamb, potentially Giffey can all ball handle, dont see much issue

Reaction Score
I think Daniels will have a slightly better handle then Scoe but I wouldn't be expecting him to beat people off the dribble at least not this year. Keep in mine that some of the recruiting sites listed him as a Power Forward.

Reaction Score
I love the idea of Daniels coming off the bench and giving us a scoring lift and size. He will be a match-up nightmare for the competition - replace length with length

Reaction Score

Roscoe will likely start at the beginning of the season, he earned that last year. In fact he may start all season no matter how good Daniels is. However, that doesn't mean Daniels won't earn "starter minutes". Roscoe can be a bit erratic from the three point line and hasn't shown he can beat his man off the dribble. Daniels may be better in both these areas. We'll see.

Reaction Score
Roscoe will start...his toughness, defense, rebounding will be needed...DD will have to earn minutes and it usually takes frosh a month or so to adjust to college speed etc. I think by Jan he'll be a factor, but off the bench, maybe he and Boat coming off bench, both getting 18-20 min.

Reaction Score
Roscoe should start, there is nothing wrong with coming off the bench, there are alot of notable freshmen that came of the bench before, Marvin Williams 05 UNC, Maggette 99 Duke, for us Ray, Charlie, Rudy, Kemba. We have enough scorers in the starting lineup we need some scorers off the bench which we would have in Boat and DD, and whos to say AD wont come off the bench at all this year I doubt it though.

Reaction Score
From what I heard Giffey did very well in Europe if he can get his confidence back then you never know he could get big minutes at the three.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm guessing Roscoe starts at the three and divides his time between the 3 and 4. DD and NG will be behind RS and will also play the 2.

But this is situational, like the QB situation with UConn football. The staff will be experimenting with this team well into mid season. The situation was much more predictable when Ryan was the only incoming freshman. Things have changed dramatically with the addition of DD and AD.

Reaction Score
Roscoe will start, but his shot needs to be more consistent and his handle needs to get much better if he is to keep playing the three. He's a 3/4 tweener right now. Defense, effort, rebounding, his length, and hopefully a more consistent jumper keep him on the court.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
ball handling? Shabazz, boatright, Lamb, potentially Giffey can all ball handle, dont see much issue

Lamb was getting defended by the other team's 3 or big 3rd guard most of the time. He didn't have to handle the ball against tough on the ball defenders or help out much on traps, because there were 2 points on the court most of the time. Handling the ball against Jimmy Butler, who would be more concerned by the blow by, or against Johnson-Odom, who is going for the steal off the dribble, are two very different things.

We also lose Jamal Coombs-McDaniel, who generally made good decisions with the ball once he got it. Giffey doesn't need to be a point forward, but Scoe, Oriakhi and Drummond on the court at once will lead to some turnovers unless one or more of them has stepped up their game over the summer. Once again, we are going to see a steady diet of zone defenses unless our forwards make good decisions with the ball in the half court.

Reaction Score
Roscoe is the over looked man. Hopefully, he uses it as motivation and has a great year. I think he will. He definitely will have an integral role.

Reaction Score
Scoe till he starts to pick up his customary charge or two a game.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

I like Giffey, and think he will be a good player for us, but he was terrifying to watch at times with the ball in his hands. I wouldn't say he's any better handling the ball than Lamb, Daniels, Boatright, or Shabazz.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I think Daniels will start when all is said and done. He will prove to be a more versatile player.
I don't but I think that he'll get "starter's minutes" which is more important when all is said and done. That, by the way. is the much tougher question. How do you divide the minutes? I haven't tried, yet, but I think that could be in a situation where our guys are going to be pretty fresh come "winning time." I also think that this team would be vulnerable due to one players slump. There are just too many weapons.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
What people seem to be forgetting a bit here, and what everybody who is trying to say Kentucky or UNC is clearly better than Uconn is forgetting, is the defensive side of things. Roscoe was terrific defensively last year, whether he was asked to play the 3 against a traditional small forward, cover a point forward in Tobias Harris, or defend the paint against a bruiser. He had the strength to defend the 4s and the quickness to defend the 3s. He is, quite possibly, our best defender.

If DD doesn't defend quite as well, I'd be willing to bet Roscoe gets the majority of minutes. With him in the lineup, our defense is going to be even better than it was at the end of last season, when we were probably the best defensive team in the nation.

Reaction Score
What people seem to be forgetting a bit here, and what everybody who is trying to say Kentucky or UNC is clearly better than Uconn is forgetting, is the defensive side of things. Roscoe was terrific defensively last year, whether he was asked to play the 3 against a traditional small forward, cover a point forward in Tobias Harris, or defend the paint against a bruiser. He had the strength to defend the 4s and the quickness to defend the 3s. He is, quite possibly, our best defender.

If DD doesn't defend quite as well, I'd be willing to bet Roscoe gets the majority of minutes. With him in the lineup, our defense is going to be even better than it was at the end of last season, when we were probably the best defensive team in the nation.

cough, cough, agreed. ;)

Roscoe will start, but his shot needs to be more consistent and his handle needs to get much better if he is to keep playing the three. He's a 3/4 tweener right now. Defense, effort, rebounding, his length, and hopefully a more consistent jumper keep him on the court.[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom