ROKU, to see every game. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ROKU, to see every game.

Reaction Score
The reason Fox Sports can show the UConn games is they own the rights to the Big East Sports and are in the 11th year of a multiyear contract. They have made local deals with at least a couple networks to also carry specific games. SNY purchased to rights to do the UConn Women's Basketball games who rights were not sold to an other network (for example ESPN or CBS Sports). I'm not privy to the wording of the contract between SNY and Fox in regards to in or out of network replays but would assume SNY retains in network replay rights. It is puzzling that SNY does not post replays of their games on YouTube as it would be another money maker but that could also be spelled out in the original contract. Several other Big East games are carried on FloSports.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So, I don't know this from firsthand experience, because I switched to Hulu live to be able to keep SNY, but apparently SNY has an app that allows you to access their content:

Key elements of the SNY App include:

The nice thing about the app, apparently, is that it also includes the excellent pregame and pregame shows as well as other SNY UConn content like the Geno Auriemma show. The app can be downloaded from wherever you're getting your apps now, either the iPhone store or Google play.

I hope this helps.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It is puzzling that SNY does not post replays of their games on YouTube as it would be another money maker
How so? Essentially they'd be giving away their content for free.

Reaction Score
You have seen SNY content replayed on FoxSports? Maybe they lied to me when they said that they can't do that. (?)
I can't get anything on SNY except them telling me I'm out of the viewing area

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
So, I don't know this from firsthand experience, because I switched to Hulu live to be able to keep SNY, but apparently SNY has an app that allows you to access their content:

Key elements of the SNY App include:

The nice thing about the app, apparently, is that it also includes the excellent pregame and pregame shows as well as other SNY UConn content like the Geno Auriemma show. The app can be downloaded from wherever you're getting your apps now, either the iPhone store or Google play.

I hope this helps.
Just to be clear. The only people that have access to the SNY app are subscribers to SNY via their tv provider, like you.
So if are an SNY subscriber and are traveling, then you can use the SNY app to watch SNY content.

Reaction Score
How so? Essentially they'd be giving away their content for free.
YouTube videos can be monetized and creators are paid by the likes and view they get. Every dollar the YouTube would pay SNY is one more than they are making now.

Reaction Score
For all the people, that keep posting, I can't see any UCONN games. Spend $25.00, get a ROKU, and you can see every game, either on the Uconn Net, or Fox Sports. No monthly fees, just plug it into your tv. I do not miss a game. I don't want to read, "I can't see any Uconn games", LOL.....
I'm one of those who keeping complaining that I can't watch SNY on Fox anymore (though last game I was surprised to find Fox stream a couple of minutes of the game before the "Not Available For Streaming" notice shut it down). I've known a few romances that followed the same pattern. BUT if I watch everything on my PC and don't even have my TV connected, how could Roku make the games available on my PC? You could extend an old man's life expectancy with a "that's easy . . ." HELP.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
One game definitely was replayed the next day on the Fox Sports app, I watched it.
If I was to guess, I think it was the game at St.John’s.
I was wrong. The game that was available on the Fox Sports app was the Seton Hall game. I did post that day here on the BY that it was available.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I'm one of those who keeping complaining that I can't watch SNY on Fox anymore (though last game I was surprised to find Fox stream a couple of minutes of the game before the "Not Available For Streaming" notice shut it down). I've known a few romances that followed the same pattern. BUT if I watch everything on my PC and don't even have my TV connected, how could Roku make the games available on my PC? You could extend an old man's life expectancy with a "that's easy . . ." HELP.
First you need to know why streaming is not available to you on your tv. Is it your location? Odds are if it doesn't work when your Roku is connected to your tv, then I would guess that it wouldn't work when connected to your PC.
But to answer your question...use your PC to Google: can I connect a roku to my computer. Your results should return many answers.

Reaction Score
I usually use a car to change my location. It works pretty well for me.
Season 4 Wow GIF by The Office

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Fox use allows a few minutes of free time before you have to log i with a code from your cable provider. Spectrum will text me a code I have to enter to my Roku, then I can see the full game. Our cable package has Fox and FS1 which, I believe, is required in order to get the code.

Reaction Score
Fox use allows a few minutes of free time before you have to log i with a code from your cable provider. Spectrum will text me a code I have to enter to my Roku, then I can see the full game. Our cable package has Fox and FS1 which, I believe, is required in order to get the code.
Thanks. I'm having Roku set up, hopefully so I can watch the games on my PC. I'm told it can happen. It's pretty amazing how much trouble (and potential expense) our loyal minions are willing to go to in order to watch our girls. SNY or someone really needs to offer a broader range of availability to UConn fans, et al. This has been tough and isn't yet resolved (for me).
As for this "code," I've been asked to sign in to my Hulu account but nothing about asking for a code. Is it a word, a number, what?
Thanks.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Thanks. I'm having Roku set up, hopefully so I can watch the games on my PC. I'm told it can happen. It's pretty amazing how much trouble (and potential expense) our loyal minions are willing to go to in order to watch our girls. SNY or someone really needs to offer a broader range of availability to UConn fans, et al. This has been tough and isn't yet resolved (for me).
As for this "code," I've been asked to sign in to my Hulu account but nothing about asking for a code. Is it a word, a number, what?
Thanks.
It’s a number. I use the FoxSports app thru the Roku

Reaction Score
For me, on my Roku device (watching from Santa Fe and connected via a non-smart TV), the FoxSports app asks me to select my cable provider from a list displayed on screen. My "cable provider" is YouTubeTV (which they accept), and if I'm already signed into the YouTubeTV app at that moment, the FoxSports app signs me in automatically.

Once, I had to get a code in order to sign in to YouTubeTV, and this consisted of a QR image that appeared on the TV screen which I aimed my Iphone's camera at and it produced a link that led to a code that I entered into my Roku remote for the TV. The FoxSports app then signed me in automatically a moment later.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Thanks.
I'm going to disagree with you. I find it amazing that SNY arranged a deal with Fox Sports to livestream their UConn WBB (and I am assuming MBB) games...and for free. That makes SNY available to anyone that has a tv provider that includes their local Fox station and FS1 as part of their viewing package. I am guessing that this is a vast majority of UConn fans.
Unfortunately, and I have no idea why, viewers that live in the SNY viewing area and their tv provider doesn't offer SNY may not be able to stream the games.
Now, if we want to discuss SNY replays, that's an entirely different subject/thread.
Regardless, I wish you luck with getting your Roku setup on either your tv and/or PC.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, and I have no idea why, viewers that live in the SNY viewing area and their tv provider doesn't offer SNY may not be able to stream the games.
I think this is about local ad revenue. The contract with Fox is a revenue stream. But local area cable providers who don't carry NY aren't providing any revenue, and unless SNY has the capability to provide streaming independent of cable providers, may even be reducing the size/value of the over-the-air market they use to attract advertisers or the value of the contacts they have with cable providers who do carry them. Of courses, as with NFL blackouts, the assumption is everyone in the area theoretically can receive the broadcasts over the air (i.e.rabbit ears) even if some areas can't receive them even that way.

Reaction Score
People who have SNY as part of their cable package or as part of their streaming service are paying for SNY content. The cable companies and the streaming services pay SNY to carry them, and then they pass that cost onto the consumer (i.e. see Sports & Entertainment fees on your Comcast cable bill). The reason SNY does not offer a free stream to people in their viewing area is because they are not going to give away their content for free when people are "paying" for it.

Fox owns the rights to the Big East broadcasts and they "subcontract" (for lack of a better term) games they either do not or can not carry to anyone who wants to bid on them. In UConn's case SNY has bid for those games (as well as CBSSN). The Fox Sports app will not show these games to anyone within the SNY viewing area, again because they not going to put out that content for free. If you live within the SNY viewing area, then they want people to "pay" to see these games.

If you do not live within the SNY viewing area, then I believe you can watch the games for free on the Fox Sports app.

I live within the SNY viewing area, but use a VPN to watch the SNY games on the Fox Sports app. This is because a VPN will not show the IP address as being within the SNY viewing area. When you get a message "This game is not available for streaming", that is because your IP address is within the SNY viewing area.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
People who have SNY as part of their cable package or as part of their streaming service are paying for SNY content. The cable companies and the streaming services pay SNY to carry them, and then they pass that cost onto the consumer (i.e. see Sports & Entertainment fees on your Comcast cable bill). The reason SNY does not offer a free stream to people in their viewing area is because they are not going to give away their content for free when people are "paying" for it.

Fox owns the rights to the Big East broadcasts and they "subcontract" (for lack of a better term) games they either do not or can not carry to anyone who wants to bid on them. In UConn's case SNY has bid for those games (as well as CBSSN). The Fox Sports app will not show these games to anyone within the SNY viewing area, again because they not going to put out that content for free. If you live within the SNY viewing area, then they want people to "pay" to see these games.

If you do not live within the SNY viewing area, then I believe you can watch the games for free on the Fox Sports app.

I live within the SNY viewing area, but use a VPN to watch the SNY games on the Fox Sports app. This is because a VPN will not show the IP address as being within the SNY viewing area. When you get a message "This game is not available for streaming", that is because your IP address is within the SNY viewing area.
That makes perfect sense to me. Something to remember.

@HuskyNan do you think UCMB88's post can be added to the pinned SNY thread? This seems to be kinda important info for fans in the SNY viewing area that no longer have SNY as part of their viewing package.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

This is not accurate. I live in the SNY viewing area, have YoutubeTv(which dropped SNY), and the FoxSports app works perfectly for me without a VPN. I'm pretty sure this works for other Boneyarders in the SNY viewing area too. I don't think anyone really knows yet the reason why it works for some and won't for others.

Reaction Score
I guess I’m a Unicorn. I use a Chromecast. Put the Fox Sports App on my phone. Sign into fox sports with my tv provider (Hulu Tv, used to have YouTube tv.)

Bam o Wham o - UConn games fire right up at game time and I cast it to my TV.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone really knows yet the reason why it works for some and won't for others

At some point I gave up with the inconsistency from one game to the next (or games suddenly going away in the middle) and made arrangements to view the games via "magical means" as they say. But then the official way started working every time, a total mystery. I think something happens to the way your internet signal is routed, congestion or something causes your location to get mangled. When I would lose a game in progress sometimes rebooting everything would bring it back. But lately for whatever reason all is well with no voodoo.

Reaction Score
I guess I’m a Unicorn. I use a Chromecast. Put the Fox Sports App on my phone. Sign into fox sports with my tv provider (Hulu Tv, used to have YouTube tv.)

Bam o Wham o - UConn games fire right up at game time and I cast it to my TV.
It's because you have hulutv. Sny has a contract with them for UConn games. You don't even need to go through fox sports. Just use the hulu app and click on the SNY channel.

Reaction Score
I live in MA and watch the games on the Fox App on my TV. Games are not replayed like Fox did a couple of years ago. You also cannot rewind the game, or restart. To see a replay you must go to Youtube as it shows up in a few hours , or the next morning, mostly posted by our Boneyard guy.

Also I subscribe to Uzzu tv. They show much of the Major sports, (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL and SNY. All content is only live for SNY, but I can watch pregame, post game and the Geno Shows. You can go to Uzzu.tv.com to download their app and subscribe
At least one other Boneyarder Uses Uzzu tv as I learned about it here a little over 2 years ago. They show the entire UConn SNY game slate and all the UConn content

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom