Rogue One | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Rogue One

Reaction Score
Essentially all of the new material (books, tv shows, comics) that have come out since Disney took over are all officially cannon + The two existing movie trilogies and the Clone Wars TV show and movie.

This is a bit different than how Lucasfilm would handle it prior to the change in ownership. Back then the non-movie material was considered "Expanded Universe" and their was degrees of cannon based on some unwritten rules and there was quite a bit of retconning. Lucas had free reign to over write anything he wanted.

With Disney there is a team of people whose job it is to make sure all these stories fit together. And for the time being everything they put out is cannon. I dont know how long that will last as they are putting out quite a bit of material.

I think the biggest issue w/ all of the non-movie material (pre and post Disney) is the over reliance on the "Main" characters. It should be a big enough galaxy that every story doesnt have to rely on one of the established characters, but almost everything eventually includes one of them. Already on Rebels we have seen C-3PO + R2-D2, Lando, Leia, Wedge.... The more you keep including these characters the harder it gets to keep the stories straight, and eventually you either retcon or start over.

I think at this point Disney is still a little hesitant to go in a different direction than the original characters, and even the original trilogy (hence the Rebels time period, Rogue One, novels close to the OT time period). I think this will go away with time. The prequels shouldn't be looked at as the 'bad child.' They're an extremely important time period in Star Wars history and there were some great things about those movies. There are a lot of stories to be told, and I think the story group knows this. We need to establish a history in the Old Republic era for one... and this is something that everybody is dying for.

Give it time, I think it will evolve outside of the Star Wars we know and love into more uncharted territories.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Feels like doing some things in the Knights of the Old Republic era for a while would be a great way to avoid this. Things don't have the come together at all, if they don't want them to.

I agree, but maybe they are keeping that open for future movies

My best guess is they are trying to keep most of their new material focused on the post clone wars/original trilogy era so it is familiar to fans. Once the new trilogy is finished I wouldn't be surprised to see them move into other eras.

Reaction Score
I have a feeling though that this movie, none of the main characters on the light side outside of Mon will survive. I think a key theme will be 'every day people' sacrificing themselves for an ideal, the greater good. Jyn maybe the exception if the rumor is true that she is Rey's Mom (and thus Luke's wife).

I am thinking at this point that Rey is the daughter of Obi Wan's now unknown daughter and Luke. Forming one bad Jedi. Jyn would be too obvious to me.

Reaction Score
Disney will also want to milk this as long as possible. No need to blow their whole load at once
Agreed. They probably will try and milk it.

I'm almost hoping Episode VIII pushes them past this 'OT Era Safe Zone' because, without going into too much detail, it's supposed to have a very different feel, tonally, than other movies. I'm not talking Empire Strikes Back remake. Real mystical, abstract stuff. I'm all for that. And if they have the confidence to go in that direction, which would be unfamiliar to older Star Wars fans, then they might muster up the courage to start attacking different time periods than just the OT.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I'm almost hoping Episode VIII pushes them past this 'OT Era Safe Zone' because, without going into too much detail, it's supposed to have a very different feel, tonally, than other movies. I'm not talking Empire Strikes Back remake. Real mystical, abstract stuff. I'm all for that.

Hmm that could be pretty interesting, but not entirely sure how I feel about it yet. There are a couple episodes of the clone wars and rebels that involved some more fantasy style elements, and I was never sure what to think of them since it was so different to the movies (I did enjoy the introductions of the Jedi and Sith temples & Holocron). If it starts to get incorporated into the movies maybe it will help tie Luke's story into what we've seen other Jedi go through. It seems a little if this will be introduced in Rogue One with Jedha. Not opposed to the move as long as it is handled well and would def help to establish the new era as different from the other trilogies

Reaction Score
Not gonna lie, that line made me cringe a little. And I love Forest Whitaker.

But HYPE is right. It looks like a beautiful movie both from cinematic and musical perspective. As long as the dialogue doesn't let me down, I'm all in.
I'll admt the dialogue has been a bit cringey in the trailers so far, but I'm hoping that's just because it's out of context. Regardless, I couldn't be more excited. What a time to be a Star Wars fan

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'll admt the dialogue has been a bit cringey in the trailers so far, but I'm hoping that's just because it's out of context. Regardless, I couldn't be more excited. What a time to be a Star Wars fan

This is a good point. And sometimes even, cheesy dialogue can work. Thinking of something like 300, which had cheesy lines galore, but made you want to stand up beat your chest like a gorilla and roar.

With Whitaker's line, I couldn't get 'save the cheerleader, save the world' out of my head.

Reaction Score
I agree, but maybe they are keeping that open for future movies

My best guess is they are trying to keep most of their new material focused on the post clone wars/original trilogy era so it is familiar to fans. Once the new trilogy is finished I wouldn't be surprised to see them move into other eras.

According to Lucas and Disney, the 'core' Star Wars story is supposed to focus on the Skywalker family, so thats movie episodes I through VII (soon to be VIII). Since Anakin was the first Skywalker and as he was supposedly conceived by the Force itself, Episode I is the starting point for the 'Core' movies and it is not possible to go backwards beyond that point. So, should there be a next generation trilogy (Episode X), I assume it will take place after the current new trilogy (VII through IX).

Now, the Clone Wars and Rebels shows and Rouge One are outside the Core storyline, so that have a lot more flexibility, which is one of the reasons I am really excited to see this movie.

Reaction Score
This is a good point. And sometimes even, cheesy dialogue can work. Thinking of something like 300, which had cheesy lines galore, but made you want to stand up beat your chest like a gorilla and roar.

With Whitaker's line, I couldn't get 'save the cheerleader, save the world' out of my head.

Something tells me that maybe Whitaker's last line. I can see his character putting himself between and what is left of the Rouge One Crew, likely Jyn, and Darth Vader. Vader helped create Saw Gerrera (in the Clone Wars) and now Vader will end him. Poetic.

Reaction Score
Something tells me that maybe Whitaker's last line. I can see his character putting himself between and what is left of the Rouge One Crew, likely Jyn, and Darth Vader. Vader helped create Saw Gerrera (in the Clone Wars) and now Vader will end him. Poetic.

Reaction Score
What a freakin cast! Mads, Ben, Forrest, Donnie, the Night Of dude, Y Tu Tambien dude. The cinematography looks amazing. And Donnie Yen is probably the closest you can get to a Jedi. I'm pumped.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Wow. New international trailer is packed with some new stuff..

I'm guessing my initial suspicion is going to be correct: there's def going to be some cringe-worthy dialogue in there. That said, it looks good. Excited to see it.

Reaction Score
Some key points to note about that trailer:

• Jyn's mother Lyra gives Jyn a kyber crystal necklace and says "trust the force." Don't be too quick to jump on the bandwagon that Lyra/Jyn are force sensitive because of this clip... Kyber crystals are Lyra's husband's life work so it would make sense for her to have a kyber crystal necklace and believe in the force.
  • 0:50 - It seems as though the Death Star positions itself above Jedha, and then fires at Jedha. Then we get clips of Jedha falling apart. I'm not ready to flat out say that the Death Star destroys Jedha, but this trailer sure as hell hints at it.
  • Vader towards the end of the trailer - First of all, I love how his suit looks. I don't care if it is or isn't consistent with the ANH suit, it looks awesome. Especially the eyes. He also looks as though he is just finished force choking someone and he's turning around to face someone else. That gets me excited.

Almost a month away :D:D:D

Reaction Score
Wow. New international trailer is packed with some new stuff..

When I went to the theater on Sunday evening to see Dr. Strange, this was the exact trailer that was used in the previews of coming attractions.

Reaction Score
9 Days.

Got my tickets as soon as they went on sale.

As everyone is probably aware, they have been ramping up the marketing like crazy. Over 25 TV spots have been released. They have also released multiple 'sneak peek' clips anywhere from 20 seconds to 50 seconds long. I won't post these - some people like to stay away from any film content whatsoever before seeing movies.

They also showed the first 28 minutes of the film to a private audience last week. I won't go into detail on this for obvious reasons, but the response was extremely positive.

This week has been crazy in terms of 'leaks' and revealed content.

I've read the prequel novel Catalyst - loved it. If you're interested in finding out who these characters actually are in the movie (Galen, Jyn, Lyra, Krennic...) I highly suggest you read it. This book is your opening crawl.

Anyways, don't want to say too much and ruin things for others on here. I am pumped. We're in the home stretch.

Reaction Score
9 Days.

Got my tickets as soon as they went on sale.

As everyone is probably aware, they have been ramping up the marketing like crazy. Over 25 TV spots have been released. They have also released multiple 'sneak peek' clips anywhere from 20 seconds to 50 seconds long. I won't post these - some people like to stay away from any film content whatsoever before seeing movies.

They also showed the first 28 minutes of the film to a private audience last week. I won't go into detail on this for obvious reasons, but the response was extremely positive.

This week has been crazy in terms of 'leaks' and revealed content.

I've read the prequel novel Catalyst - loved it. If you're interested in finding out who these characters actually are in the movie (Galen, Jyn, Lyra, Krennic...) I highly suggest you read it. This book is your opening crawl.

Anyways, don't want to say too much and ruin things for others on here. I am pumped. We're in the home stretch.

I have the book, but I don't want to read it yet. I want to be as surprised as possible when I see the actual movie.

Reaction Score
I have the book, but I don't want to read it yet. I want to be as surprised as possible when I see the actual movie.

Interesting. Obviously do whatever you want, but reading the book beforehand would probably make a lot of things in the film more clear (especially early on in the film.) It also allows you to form a deeper connection with these characters that we've never met before. It provides their backstories and really gets into the minds of characters like Galen, Krennic, and Lyra and allows you to see their true motivations and interests. When I see the characters on screen now, in clips/trailers/when I see the movie, they are a natural part of the Star Wars universe to me. Whereas, if I didn't read the book, it would take more time to understand who these characters are and what kind of people they are.

Anyways, most people won't read the book so hopefully the movie provides sufficient information about who these characters are and what kind of history they have with each other.

Reaction Score
Interesting. Obviously do whatever you want, but reading the book beforehand would probably make a lot of things in the film more clear (especially early on in the film.) It also allows you to form a deeper connection with these characters that we've never met before. It provides their backstories and really gets into the minds of characters like Galen, Krennic, and Lyra and allows you to see their true motivations and interests. When I see the characters on screen now, in clips/trailers/when I see the movie, they are a natural part of the Star Wars universe to me. Whereas, if I didn't read the book, it would take more time to understand who these characters are and what kind of people they are.

Anyways, most people won't read the book so hopefully the movie provides sufficient information about who these characters are and what kind of history they have with each other.

I just don't agree. The movie is made for casual fans, if you were missing out by not reading some prerequisite then the movie would be dead on arrival. Plus there is a chance that you'll hate the book. I'll see the movie and read the book after.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom