Rodney Purvis to UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rodney Purvis to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Great get and I loved the part where he said UCONN knows how to develop guards to the NBA level. Hopefully we can get some high recruited big men next.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Freakin awesome!!! Purvis is super athletic in the mold of a Jerome Dyson, but with a much higher ceiling, great get!

I must admit, have been very happy with KO as our new leader, but only had one huge question mark....the ability to lure players to Storrs, like Jimmy C......hearing Purvis' comments....def helps alleviate my concerns.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
Much more of a 2 than a 1 right now. But has the next 18 months to work on that.

What if he's a natural 2? Already have Boat and Samuel as our 1's...could move Purvis to 2 and OC to 2/3.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
Is he 1,2, or in between?
Right now as we speak...a combo but more of a 2.....but he wants to be a 1 going forward....which is perfect that he has a year to hone those skills under a great point imo in Shabazz Napier. I also suspect this will be a catalyst towards bringing in some big names from the Class of 2014.

Reaction Score
What if he's a natural 2? Already have Boat and Samuel as our 1's...could move Purvis to 2 and OC to 2/3.

Boat could be gone by the time Purvis suits up, if the rumors of him leaving NC State because he wants to play PG are true, then I'd imagine KO is giving him a shot at learning it. Either way, with our guard dominated offense he will have the ball in his hands a ton.

Reaction Score

He probably is a natural 2. But I think it's in both his and Ollie's best interest if he were able to play the 1, at least in stretches.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
Right now as we speak...a combo but more of a 2.....but he wants to be a 1 going forward....which is perfect that he has a year to hone those skills under a great point imo in Shabazz Napier. I also suspect this will be a catalyst towards bringing in some big names from the Class of 2014.

Got it, didn't realize he wanted to be a 1. Future looks bright gentlemen.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I wouldn't worry too much. We've long had combo guards who can play both spots, and if Boatright is still here, the two of them could switch back and forth.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
I wouldn't worry too much. We've long had combo guards who can play both spots, and if Boatright is still here, the two of them could switch back and forth.
Exactly,
Mama Ollie didn't raise no fool!

Reaction Score
hard to compare rankings since classes in different years are stronger than others but Purvis had an RSCI ranking of #17, which players from the JC era were ranked higher? AD and Rudy were the only two I know for sure, CV was #18, can't come up with anything conclusive on Donyell and Khalid but I know they were both top 20 guys. Great get for KO considering all the fuss that is being made about the conference situation, I expect more to follow for the '14 class.

Edit: Kemba was #15 and AO was #16, I figured they would be around #20.

This link has some rankings. Looks like only Gay,Kemba,Oriakhi and Brown had RSCI rankings higher than Purv!

http://statsheet.com/mcb/teams/connecticut/recruiting#mcdonalds

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Awesome for KO! Anybody know the reason for him transferring? Just curious
. I'd check the earlier threads but apparently not many players like playing for Gottfried, some astounding number of players have transferred out.

Reaction Score
I'm happy about this get but his first year numbers were not much to write home about. Did he just not get pt because of coach conflict? Is he a future NBA talent?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
A nice get. Saves us the time for going after a guard in 2014 so we can focus on centers and forwards.

Reaction Score
I'm happy about this get but his first year numbers were not much to write home about. Did he just not get pt because of coach conflict? Is he a future NBA talent?

How good was the coaching? His athletic ability is through the roof. He can shoot from the outside. Slash, drive, has a good handle. His only apparent weakness is that he apparently has had trouble shooting free throws...but this is a mental block. He started the season shooting 75% and then totally collapsed to a Shaq-esque level.

Reaction Score
Ave shooter. 44%, 38 from three but made just one per game. Had more TO's than assist. Ave 8.3 in 25 minutes per game. Great body and takes it hard to the rim. Sitting out a year s/b great for him. Can learn the system, improve his shooting and in game decisions. 2014 he s/b a significant contributor for UCONN. Has a chance to become an AA. Great pick up.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The really wonderful thing about this is the message it sends to the Syracuses and Louisvilles of the world and to all of those who are cheering for a UConn collapse. We're here and we're not going anywhere, conference be damned. We don't rebuild, we reload. New coach: check. New practice facility: check. New branding: check. New McD AA 5 star PG/SG leaving an ACC school: check.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
Some decent info on Samuels, Calhoun.... With respect to the Purvis transfer from a guy who played AAU against them in NY on NBAdrsft forum

"There is room for the both of them in the backcourt. Calhoun Measure 6'6 in shoes two years ago at Lebron camp. He is one of those people who you don't realize how tall they are until you walk up on them type of guys. I played AAU against him He is from Brooklyn I am from the Bronx so I have seen him enough. He is 6'6 on the court. Purvis is 6'4 in shoes. At 6'6 Calhoun can guard some 3's on the college level. Purvis will take the 2 and if Boat is gone by that time.Then They will have Terrance Samuels at the 1 who is also in the 6'3 to 6'4 range and is a borderline top 100 recruit this year. Young boy is a bully point guard.Talk and strong and very fast in the open floor. Seen him play against aquille carr earlier this year and he didn't fall for any of his fakes and played solid defense. The future is bright for UCONN."

http://nbadraft.net/forum/purvis-uconn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog