Rodney Purvis suspended for one game because... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rodney Purvis suspended for one game because...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know its easy to blame the NCAA but this has been a rule for years. There are certain summer leagues that are approved by the NCAA for players to play in and I'm pretty sure theres a rule for how many leagues you can play in (unsure if it also relates to games).

The players are well aware of this rule so its no ones fault but Rodney's. He should have talked to the staff and compliance office to see if it was ok. He played the pro am so he knew about the rules.

Its only 1 game and against Bryant no biggie.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
e382b1432b224b3bb47586a5d30bf8a2-4a8e57c5be4f4a5bb01997f146a567a6-1.jpg

Emmert thinking: Damn this UNC thing is a mess. They absolutely screwed the pooch here with a two decade long scheme to fraudulently allow academically ineligible players to play. But they are a powerful institution and I don't want to mess with them, plus I like that whole Carolina way narrative. You know I freaking give them a pass with the whole it's an academic issue, not an athletic issue bull crap and then they have their people all over the news talking about the scam. Crimeny, couldn't they have just offed them or at least ponied up some hush money? Man, I'm too balless to do anything to them, but if I don't the NCAA will be outted for the arbitrary, clueless money grabbing machine that I've made it. Man I like raking in a cool two mill a year. Think man, think....can't be weak. I need to take decisive action. Wait, I've got it!

Emmert: "Ah, Susan bring the UConn file in here."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Funny... when I just read your post I thought the same thing about you
Fair or not, some people have said this about Purvis, so my reaction was similar to @Cheeky : it's really stupid, but at least it wasn't a suspension from KO.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Didnt Emmert essentially steal money from the university when he was chancellor too?

Reaction Score
Its gets worse for purvis. Sad to see him suspended for a game for playing basketball in the OFF season lol. NCAA trying to bring UConn down any kind of way

Last edited:
Reaction Score
didn't know he played in the nc pro am, saw no article about purvis doing so. but just found out kuran iverson got suspended 1 game for the same thing last season.so i guess its not that strange.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="methodology, post: 1124281, member: 3012

The players are well aware of this rule so its no ones fault but Rodney's.[/QUOTE]
How do you know that?

Reaction Score
The coaching staff sits with each player at the end of every season and after finals in the spring to go over their plans for the summer and expectations. They let them know what they can and cannot do; such as which summer leagues are allowed and not allowed because it can be an NCAA violation for the player and they can get suspended.

Atleast that's how Calhoun and company did it so I am pretty sure Ollie does the same thing. Purvis probably got caught up in the urge to play and figured since the Hartford pro am was an accredited summer league that he was allowed to play in it. It seems he had already played in a different summer league which equates to a violation.

The coaches typically tell all the players if you have any questions if something is right or wrong call and ask before going about it.

Either way this is not the NCAA targeting UConn or Purvis. Its been a rule for years and players from other schools have been suspended in the past for doing the same thing.

Reaction Score
I never thought I would say this, after reading the tweet:

Better Emmert than Ollie.

Reaction Score
Hopefully Purv-dog takes the shabazz approach, dominates in the caribbean and offers a subtle for banning him in the tourney MVP acceptance speech

Reaction Score
Well my ESPN Favorite Teams Mobile App popped-up the Purvis message & I mistakenly read this as he was suspended for the season. I quickly realized that it was only one game & all could think was, phew…. One game? First game of the season? Who cares...

All about the perspective...

Reaction Score
The coaching staff sits with each player at the end of every season and after finals in the spring to go over their plans for the summer and expectations. They let them know what they can and cannot do; such as which summer leagues are allowed and not allowed because it can be an NCAA violation for the player and they can get suspended.

Atleast that's how Calhoun and company did it so I am pretty sure Ollie does the same thing. Purvis probably got caught up in the urge to play and figured since the Hartford pro am was an accredited summer league that he was allowed to play in it. It seems he had already played in a different summer league which equates to a violation.

The coaches typically tell all the players if you have any questions if something is right or wrong call and ask before going about it.

Either way this is not the NCAA targeting UConn or Purvis. Its been a rule for years and players from other schools have been suspended in the past for doing the same thing.

Since the issue is that he played in the GHPA, I have a really tough time believing that the staff or anyone at UConn told him he was committing a violation.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm sure they were unaware that he played in the North Carolina league.

For something labeled 'officially organized', most of these leagues make the GHPA look like the NBA.''

I think the penalties used to be far worse - I remember Billy Edelin lost about half a season and a Colgate player lost an entire year for playing in a bare handful of old-man league games.

Reaction Score
Between this and the Geno violation, it's clear they're trying to kill us by 1000 paper cuts.

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm tired, what is it?
They had a picture of Omar Calhoun for Purvis. They now took the picture off the article. I guess they don't have a picture of Purvis in a UConn uniform.

Reaction Score
Jay Bilas @JayBilas
Breaking News: NCAA suspends UConn valedictorian for one day of classes for reading a book NOT on her summer reading list. #commonsense

Perfect analogy. Jay Bilas has to be the most likable Dukie ever

Its just that he realizes how absolutley STUPID this suspension is. I dont give a flying F if its a rule give the KID a warning not an automatic suspension. Then youve got posters on here taking the side of the nc double like methodology. with that bs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom