Rodney Purvis suspended for one game because... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Rodney Purvis suspended for one game because...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Based upon the article, UConn called the penalty on itself. Doesn't sound like the NCAA ha anything to do with it. Did I miss something?

Reaction Score
While being a very idiotic rule, it's on the books and athletes have to follow them. UConn's compliance office should be the most diligent in the country and make sure violations like this don't occur, no matter how dumb they are. UConn has a bulls eye on them and can't make any missteps. But, let the kids play summer ball and improve.

Reaction Score
Its just that he realizes how absolutley STUPID this suspension is. I dont give a flying F if its a rule give the KID a warning not an automatic suspension. Then youve got posters on here taking the side of the nc double like methodology. with that bs!

You're a real tool not a sharp one either.

If you get a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt is that your fault or the cops?

This is not an instance to be up in arms because Purvis has to sit out 1 game vs Bryant. This type of suspension happens a lot. I'm not taking the ncaa side it's a well known rule and the players are informed about the rules regarding summer league play

Reaction Score

This is not an instance to be up in arms because Purvis has to sit out 1 game vs Bryant. This type of suspension happens a lot. I'm not taking the ncaa side it's a well known rule and the players are informed about the rules regarding summer league play

You were definitely a narc in high school.

Reaction Score
While being a very idiotic rule, it's on the books and athletes have to follow them. UConn's compliance office should be the most diligent in the country and make sure violations like this don't occur, no matter how dumb they are. UConn has a bulls eye on them and can't make any missteps. But, let the kids play summer ball and improve.
Why is what I would like to know. The same way cops can't arrest everyone for everything, why does the NCAA have to penalize a school for something so ridiculously minor when they let tons of other minor and even more major stuff go at other schools? If Warde cannot reign this in or get his arms around complying with the NCAA rules, then he has to leave. The NCAA, and not our crappy conference, is the biggest risk to the athletic department right now. I'm fully expecting any day the NCAA to drop the hammer and ban basketball using all these minor self-reported violations as proof of lack of institutional control.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Beautiful . Now I know it's college basketball season. You know Uconn men's basketball fans can't start our season without our usual dose of drama or a hint of adversity .Now everything feels right. Go Huskies!!!!!!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Too bad Purvis didn't take fake classes. There is no penalty for that.
Well that would be fine, not a big deal at all, boys will be boys you know, but playing in one league game too many? Well now that's a threat to the integrity of college sports.

Reaction Score

The one problem with that analogy you worked up in your head is that cops don't decide the laws. The NCAA is the judge, jury and executioner.

Reaction Score
upload_2014-11-13_21-25-31.png

Reaction Score
Dumb, but how were we not keeping on top of this stuff?
You are correct. Although I agree about the absurdity of the situation and the hypocrisy of the NCAA, and given the history of UConn with the NCAA, you would think that the compliance person or the AD would have been on top of this. Purvis didn't just arrive at UConn this fall. He has been here for a year. Totally inexcusable for UConn athletic administration to not have been on top of this.

Reaction Score
There were a few back of the bench players from Boston area schools in a summer league I was in about 15 years ago. They rotated who played each session because they knew how much they could/not play over the course of the summer.

This may be a dumb rule. We, as UConn fans, may be a little sensitive to the minor violations and relatively harsh penalties. In the end, it is a rule that is enforced pretty regularly and is well known by the athletes.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I felt they were diligent. There is no way to monitor things 24/7 without giving up all freedoms. When they found out they dealt with it. Totally the opposite of how Jeff Hathaway handled the compliance department.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You are correct. Although I agree about the absurdity of the situation and the hypocrisy of the NCAA, and given the history of UConn with the NCAA, you would think that the compliance person or the AD would have been on top of this. Purvis didn't just arrive at UConn this fall. He has been here for a year. Totally inexcusable for UConn athletic administration to not have been on top of this.
The UConn athletic administration was on top of this. Don't see how you can think otherwise.

There are places in the world in which administrations are more on top of things - North Korea, Isis state, previous administration of Myanamar, Saudi Arabia. You know what they all have in common? No tolerance for freedom. There was a recent push by a town in SC to install cameras set on I95, record speeders and send fines via mail. Cameras were installed but they got removed quickly. Why? Because it was an efficient way to monitor infractions and many people didn't want to be monitored so efficiently. They knew their own chances of incurring monetary penalties would increase significantly if this system caught on.

Rodney Purvis made a mistake. Was he testing the system or did he forget the rules? Were the rules explained to him? Who knows. Short of putting tracking monitors on kids, stuff will happen. It's the price we pay for freedom. I'm not going to make RP out to be a pariah for this event. I'm certainly not going to condemn this athletic department. And in this incident, I feel the NCAA is doing their job correctly.

Reaction Score
Emmert: "Ah, Susan bring the UConn file in here."

"It was the enemy who stole your food from you, and you should be really, really mad at them. Before we step off on this next mission, I'm reminding you of who your enemy is. The enemy."

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Based upon the article, UConn called the penalty on itself. Doesn't sound like the NCAA ha anything to do with it. Did I miss something?

Given the NCAA's predilection to reem UCONN in the arse, this was probably a smart move. Sacrifice 1 game for Purv vs letting the NCAA drag their knuckles for 8 games.....or (gulp) vacating a whole bunch later.

Reaction Score
The NCAA has suspended Boise State sophomore Dezmyn Trent for two games due to his participation in an unauthorized summer league tournament. Boise State said in a release this afternoon that "a miscommunication within the athletics department led to Trent's participation in the tournament, resulting in the penalty. Efforts to appeal the decision were denied by the NCAA."

http://m.idahopress.com/blueturfspo...cle_4483f2d0-6c54-11e4-aed8-7b3bf2f58f2d.html

I assume unauthorized means multiple in this case? Trent gets two (2) games and Purvis one (1). Not sure exactly how SL participation is regulated and why the suspensions differed. Any experts???

Reaction Score
The NCAA has suspended Boise State sophomore Dezmyn Trent for two games due to his participation in an unauthorized summer league tournament. Boise State said in a release this afternoon that "a miscommunication within the athletics department led to Trent's participation in the tournament, resulting in the penalty. Efforts to appeal the decision were denied by the NCAA."

http://m.idahopress.com/blueturfspo...cle_4483f2d0-6c54-11e4-aed8-7b3bf2f58f2d.html

I assume unauthorized means multiple in this case? Trent gets two (2) games and Purvis one (1). Not sure exactly how SL participation is regulated and why the suspensions differed. Any experts???

The NCAA has to clear participation in summer leagues. He was probably playing in something that the NCAA did not sanction.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
@JayBilas: Breaking News: NCAA suspends UConn valedictorian for one day of classes for reading a book NOT on her summer reading list. #commonsense

Reaction Score
Emmert thinking: Damn this UNC thing is a mess. They absolutely screwed the pooch here with a two decade long scheme to fraudulently allow academically ineligible players to play. But they are a powerful institution and I don't want to mess with them, plus I like that whole Carolina way narrative. You know I freaking give them a pass with the whole it's an academic issue, not an athletic issue bull crap and then they have their people all over the news talking about the scam. Crimeny, couldn't they have just offed them or at least ponied up some hush money? Man, I'm too balless to do anything to them, but if I don't the NCAA will be outted for the arbitrary, clueless money grabbing machine that I've made it. Man I like raking in a cool two mill a year. Think man, think....can't be weak. I need to take decisive action. Wait, I've got it!

Emmert: "Ah, Susan bring the UConn file in here."
Any wonder why McCants is no longer talking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom