Rodney Purvis on campus | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Rodney Purvis on campus

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I'm a little afraid that this is the first post of yours that I have been able to comprehend, and I actually had the same thought.

As I said upthread, perception is reality.

And most of the same posters who now proclaim Ollie as the devil will be vilifying the players and not the coach in that instance.

And, they might be right in both cases. Or not.
'this is the first post of yours that I have been able to comprehend,'
ok, this is not good, not good at all. i've heard this elsewhere, and makes me wonder if im losing velocity on my fastball, like the obvious loss of hops on my in game dunks on asphalt. and, that thing where my knees feel like someone poured napalm on them, and then throw a match, again, on asphalt, makes me think that the sunny daze rest home could be a lot closer than i realized.
now, if it's the sunnyvale trailer park instead, like in TPB, that would be fun. yes indeedy, me, snoop, phil collins, all hangin by the pool, eating pepperoni and quaffing 40s - now, that's a retirement.
im a hopeful sort so i'll just make the appointment for TJ surgery.

Reaction Score
I'm a little afraid that this is the first post of yours that I have been able to comprehend, and I actually had the same thought.

And most of the same posters who now proclaim Ollie as the devil will be vilifying the players and not the coach in that instance.

Do you by chance smell burning toast?

Reaction Score
So to be fair...KO's biggest detractors so far are Purv, Sid and Vance Jackson, so far. Or Jackson's dad. Take Sid with a grain of salt since he never played for KO. Jackson has had problems everywhere he's gone. As for Bazz being the coach, that is laughable. Providing leadership is NOT coaching. Don't see anyone lining up to add him to their coaching staff even though it appears his playing days are over. Just some random thoughts.
Then you really should open your eyes and read this board more. Every few months someone suggests Shabazz retire and coach here. When Taliek left he was suggested multiple times. And I'll give you it's impossible to read all the threads, but it was even suggested in this thread you presumably read before replying

Reaction Score

Only one big difference between what the Clif players & the Ollie ones

The DH guys mentioned played on teams where players developed & got better. Additionally, the team is on an upward trajectory. Maybe they didn’t mesh with the style, but I’d be inclined to say they got good coaching.

The KO guys never got better, and the team continually set new lows year after year. Leading me to think they not only didn’t get good coaching, but their gripe is a little more reasonable

Reaction Score
Looking back on 2014 with all those post games interviews with players huddled around Ollie I don’t see how anyone can take away that he wasn’t in control of that team or that anyone could’ve won a championship with that team.

It’s clear he fell off after that or stopped caring or whatever it was, but he was the perfect coach for the 2014 team.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Has anyone proclaimed Ollie as the devil? If so, does that make Grants hell?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Least surprising thing from this thread, the KO debate that never ends. Most surprising thing, it appears people have forgotten just how good Rodney Purvis was for UConn

Yeah, this.

There was one person who said that the gap between what we expected with Purvis and what we got was the biggest gap since Deng, or something like that.

That’s….insane.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Has anyone proclaimed Ollie as the devil? If so, does that make Grants hell?
Talked a great game, but had no interest in what he was saying…bad coach, bad guy.

Yep. He didn't just become a jerk after he got divorced. He fooled a lot of people.
Not in those words.

Maybe the dollar oysters were the forbidden fruit?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yeah, this.

There was one person who said that the gap between what we expected with Purvis and what we got was the biggest gap since Deng, or something like that.

That’s….insane.
That was me.

Maybe overly dramatic to make a point (to which I'd say labeling Ollie a "bad guy" from day one is also a bit extreme), but pick a lane here.

If Purvis was as good here as you and others now remember, does Ollie not get any credit for that? Or was that despite his incompetence?

The "Ferrari in the garage" hype cursed him imo, and I don't think he lived up to the expectations that created, unreasonable or not.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'their gripe is a little more reasonable'
it is?
some of ko's guys get to say 'we were the best in the nation, and got the hardware to prove it. kiss my grits.'
what's danny's guys get to say, so far, 'danny's wife makes good cookies? i like the smell of sage burning in the morning?, im gonna be on the wall?'
yeah, umm no.
winning isn't everything, it's the only thing. it makes for great memories.
welcome to the jungle. i like saying 'kiss my grits.'
the time for relativism is au revoir, over. take a walk around outside, and folks will tell you that storytime is also, au revoir, over.
winning isn't everything, it's the only thing. if im spending my time cheering, i expect results. championship results. in my day job, iffn you come at me with continual bs and excuses, i will drop you faster than a one eyed cat's head spins in a fish market.

Reaction Score
Only one big difference between what the Clif players & the Ollie ones

The DH guys mentioned played on teams where players developed & got better. Additionally, the team is on an upward trajectory. Maybe they didn’t mesh with the style, but I’d be inclined to say they got good coaching.

The KO guys never got better, and the team continually set new lows year after year. Leading me to think they not only didn’t get good coaching, but their gripe is a little more reasonable
And when we are talking about DH we are going to have to mention the changing nature of college basketball with the portal etc.. which can inflate the numbers more than in past eras

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That was me.

Maybe overly dramatic to make a point (to which I'd say labeling Ollie a "bad guy" from day one is also a bit extreme), but pick a lane here.

If Purvis was as good here as you and others now remember, does Ollie not get any credit for that? Or was that despite his incompetence?

The "Ferrari in the garage" hype cursed him imo, and I don't think he lived up to the expectations that created, unreasonable or not.

Ollie was a bad guy - a very bad guy. Like, not good. I don’t think I am outlier thinking that…the NBA, who supposedly adored him, routinely hires college coaches who have run into issues. Not a one of them has any interest in Kevin Ollie.

But, anyway….you need to stop moving goal posts. You said that the difference between what was expected and what we got was greater than anything outside of Ajou Deng. (I actually didn’t notice who wrote it. I tend not to.)

That was Inane. He wouldn’t even be in the top 10 or more. He was qutie a good player on a very bad team coached by an inept clown. He would have had a better career under any other UConn coach in the last century, but he drew the short straw and got the guy who’s game prep involved chasing skirts at oyster bars.

Reaction Score
1659285383879.png

Reaction Score
That was me.

Without wading too much into the KO debate...I really feel for Purvis.

He was a 5* coming out of HS, strong athletic scorer that needed some polish with fundamentals and finishing at the rim. He was a 2 that wanted to play the 1, which he had no business playing, and when at UConn he ended up playing the 3 more times than not.

Check his freshman yr stats at NC st, and then at UConn. He had his best shooting splits and arguably best statistical season per min then...he never really got better at UConn. He pretty much plateaued immediately upon stepping on campus which is likely why he seems understandably upset with KO

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Ollie was a bad guy - a very bad guy. Like, not good. I don’t think I am outlier thinking that…the NBA, who supposedly adored him, routinely hires college coaches who have run into issues. Not a one of them has any interest in Kevin Ollie.

But, anyway….you need to stop moving goal posts. You said that the difference between what was expected and what we got was greater than anything outside of Ajou Deng. (I actually didn’t notice who wrote it. I tend not to.)

That was Inane. He wouldn’t even be in the top 10 or more. He was qutie a good player on a very bad team coached by an inept clown. He would have had a better career under any other UConn coach in the last century, but he drew the short straw and got the guy who’s game prep involved chasing skirts at oyster bars.
I said I was dramatizing for effect, but your commitment to your "black" vote for with respect to all things Kevin Ollie is noted.

I'll just note that it pairs nicely with your more recent--and frequently contradictory and out-of-touch--criticisms of Hurley's ability to recruit, develop and maintain a roster, for which many of the same posters with whom you are now aligned called you out as insane.

As for Rodney, I liked him as a player and a person, but like many, I felt that he didn't live up to the advance billing, which admittedly set an unreasonably high bar. I was happy to see that he was back on campus, and even more happy to see his praise for Hawkins.

I didn't like seeing the dirty laundry aired, and I'm going to stop giving it more air now.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
That was me.

Rodney's improvement was not dramatic. He was just not worse than the previous year. A very minimal improvement where, in a graph, his line was a 3 degree improvement rise annually.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
ya know, i just took a spin around on ol rodney's cv. only six months younger than drummond, his whole thing looks like 'was here, got bounced quickly,' starting with the end of his 1st year at nc state, where, he got bounced from the starting lineup.
'However, his minutes fell off when coach Gottfried moved forward T. J. Warren into the starting lineup, and Purvis scored a total of 12 points and played an average of 12.8 minutes in the final four games.' ouch.
looking at his pro career, same thing. never sticks or gets the invite back.
odd.
mebbe he talks too much.
why did danny bring him here? what's the point?
this thing is starting to bug me, but im going fishing now, so let's hope those fishtales make me forget aboot this one. st rodney!
the world is full of blowhards who'll tell you how great they could be if only the situation was different. or how big the fish that got away was.

Reaction Score
I said I was dramatizing for effect, but your commitment to your "black" vote for with respect to all things Kevin Ollie is noted.

I'll just note that it pairs nicely with your more recent--and frequently contradictory and out-of-touch--criticisms of Hurley's ability to recruit, develop and maintain a roster, for which many of the same posters with whom you are now aligned called you out as insane.

As for Rodney, I liked him as a player and a person, but like many, I felt that he didn't live up to the advance billing, which admittedly set an unreasonably high bar. I was happy to see that he was back on campus, and even more happy to see his praise for Hawkins.

I didn't like seeing the dirty laundry aired, and I'm going to stop giving it more air now.
The advance billing for Rodney was from KO "I got a Ferrari in the garage." That Ferrari in the garage was a good college basketball player since he stepped on the court as a freshman at NC State because of his talent and he remained a good player at UConn because of his talent. He feels he never really improved enough as a basketball player because of who he was coached by despite Rodney working his butt off. He mentions that his teammates had more talent than they showed at UConn and they should've reached higher heights in their basketball careers but were held back by (lack of) coaching.

I think it's fair for him to be critical of his coach who was hyping him up as a Ferrari only to have his coach turn his back on him when things weren't working out great.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
That was more a Boston vs Chicago thing. I never saw any problem how their mom’s interacted. Etc.
Yep. The most likely scenario is someone was able to guide two alpha guards to work together and that someone was most likely KO.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom