Rocket Watts? | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Rocket Watts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The reason he is leaving MS is because Izzo wanted him to be the primary ball handler (point guard) and he doesn't want that. He wants to be the primary shooting guard and he can't shoot. This reminds me of Vance Jackson (and his father) or Roscoe Smith (who I loved as a rebounding machine) who fancied themselves as perimeter 3's or stretch 4 popping threes and they couldn't shoot from distance or drive. Kid is like so many others who seem to have all kinds of potential because of athletic ability but never seem to realize their potential due to one or more factors. When you think you know more than the coach your getting warm as to where the problem is.
Primary ball handler doesn’t mean pg. Boatright was a primary ball handler

Reaction Score
It is very true this team needs a serious upgrade at the guard position. It's the only place we're really lacking.

UConn has had a history of great guards, and we don't have those guys right now.

Yes, I can go through all the greats, Smith, George, Ollie, Sheffer, KEA, Moore, Taliek, M Williams, AJP, Kemba, Napier, Boatright, etc. Gaffney and Cole are not at this level. They are good players, but this school has a history at that position--and I'd argue that except for the 2004 team, this strength is what has accounted mostly for the team's success.

Reaction Score
It is very true this team needs a serious upgrade at the guard position. It's the only place we're really lacking.

UConn has had a history of great guards, and we don't have those guys right now.

Yes, I can go through all the greats, Smith, George, Ollie, Sheffer, KEA, Moore, Taliek, M Williams, AJP, Kemba, Napier, Boatright, etc. Gaffney and Cole are not at this level. They are good players, but this school has a history at that position--and I'd argue that except for the 2004 team, this strength is what has accounted mostly for the team's success.

Even with 2004, Taliek could penetrate at will, was an elite defender and had size. Ben Gordon was just an incredible basketball player. I wouldn’t say the backcourt was any less important to that team than the others. That team could’ve made a FF run without Okafor.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
What is the difference between a primary ball handler who’s running offensive sets and a point guard?
Asking for a friend

Reaction Score

Not if you listen to some of the guys on here. The grass is perfectly green w Cole and Gaffney. Well, according to them.

Reaction Score
Were Kemba or Shabazz point guards? Is your definition of point guard solely limited to a completely pass-first lead guard? This feels unnecessarily pedantic.
When I say primary ball handler I’m referring to skill set. For example, RJ Barrett is a primary ball handler, he isn’t a pg. We differentiate between pgs and cgs here all the time. Julius Randle, primary ball handler, not a pg. I can continue but it’s dumb. Gaffney doesn’t handle the ball well enough to be one of our primary ball handlers. That’s the point. Ryan Boatright almost NEVER played pg for us , even when Bazz left lol. Why? He was better off ball as a scoring guard. Doesn’t mean he isn’t a primary ball handler. He just didn’t have the mindset to run an offense

Reaction Score
I can continue but it’s dumb.
Agreed.

The idea that he almost never played PG for us even after Shabazz left is an... interesting notion. He played PG quite a bit even when Shabazz was here and allowed him to play off ball. We played two PGs. You can make an argument that both were CGs, but it's a pedantic distinction. When Shabazz left, both Boatright and Hamilton shared a lot of the point responsibilities. I just don't get why you're so invested in such a meaningless distinction you're trying to make.

Reaction Score
Agreed.

The idea that he almost never played PG for us even after Shabazz left is an... interesting notion. He played PG quite a bit even when Shabazz was here and allowed him to play off ball. We played two PGs. You can make an argument that both were CGs, but it's a pedantic distinction. When Shabazz left, both Boatright and Hamilton shared a lot of the point responsibilities. I just don't get why you're so invested in such a meaningless distinction you're trying to make.
It’s not a meaningless distinction. Primary ball handler has ZERO to do with position. Hamilton was the more of the pg on that team IMO. Boatright looked to score 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. His main job was to get open and create space. Not facilitate the offense. But that’s still irrelevant to my point. He was still a primary ball handler. Gaffney is not. Period

Reaction Score
It’s not a meaningless distinction. Primary ball handler has ZERO to do with position. Hamilton was the more of the pg on that team IMO. Boatright looked to score 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. His main job was to get open and create space. Not facilitate the offense. But that’s still irrelevant to my point. He was still a primary ball handler. Gaffney is not. Period

Hamilton and Boatright had negligibly different assist numbers. Again, you seem to be defining the criteria in an unnecessarily small way so that you can be right here. It's bizarre. Also, not sure where Gaffney came into this discussion. Wasn't the beginning of this you taking exception with someone saying Watts played PG at MSU?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Even with 2004, Taliek could penetrate at will, was an elite defender and had size. Ben Gordon was just an incredible basketball player. I wouldn’t say the backcourt was any less important to that team than the others. That team could’ve made a FF run without Okafor.

2004 basically had two NFL type bodies at starting guard in Gordon and Brown. Fast and powerful. Brown couldn't shoot at all- from the field or FT line but he would cut the head off the opposing team defensively. Gordon was obviously elite in speed, jumping and shooting from anywhere.

2014 had two lithe, slender guards in Napier and Boatright. They had the heart of a lion and both were very athletic. Napier might not have had the vertical of a Boat or Gordon but he could move and adjust on the run and in the air to get the space he needed.

Two different styles of guards, two championships.

The similarity between 04 and 14 and the difference between them and current team is athleticism. None of the guards on UConn's teams have shown they have the speed or vertical jumps to make plays offensively or defensively.

Reaction Score
Hamilton and Boatright had negligibly different assist numbers. Again, you seem to be defining the criteria in an unnecessarily small way so that you can be right here. It's bizarre. Also, not sure where Gaffney came into this discussion. Wasn't the beginning of this you taking exception with someone saying Watts played PG at MSU?
Sort of. Izzo did play him at pg at mich st but that was a mistake. He’s more of a combo guard, which is how I think Hurley would use him. My point was pg cg is sort of irrelevant. We need another primary ball handler because Gaffney isn’t that(at least not yet) and I don’t like relying on freshman(diggins). We sort of got off track when I brought up Boatright. Which is admittedly my opinion not fact. But my overall point I believe still stands. Watts fills a need as a primary ball handler, not the pg Michigan state tried to make him. Because ball handler and pg/cg/g are not mutually exclusive. Any position on the floor can be a primary ball handler dependent upon skill set

Reaction Score
Regardless of Watts and I haven't seen it mentioned but it feels like either Hurley likes two (and maybe 3) combo guards running the offense simultaneoulsy or we just haven't recruited a pure point guard. I actually prefer the two combo's myself but I've also seen plenty of great teams with pure point guards as well. Regardless, Rocket appears to fit the multiple combo offense.

As a side note... Rocket's free throw shooting has actually been very good. That gives me more confidence he can improve his 3 point shooting especially if he doesn't have to focus on exclusively running the offense.

Reaction Score
What is the difference between a primary ball handler who’s running offensive sets and a point guard?
Asking for a friend
Reading what's happening on the court before anyone else, knowing you're making the pass that leads to the pass that leads to a bucket, having vision of the entire court even when you're driving into the lane, always looking for your teammates, knowing who needs to get the ball regularly to stay engaged in the game, setting up your defender in a way that big men won't get called for moving screens on the perimeter, making sure everyone else is in the right spot on the court, etc.

Reaction Score
He had three bad shooting games against Creighton (x2) and Nova (x1) where he went 4 for 19.

But it wasn't endemic against good teams. From 3, he shot 1 for 1 against Creighton in the BET and 3 for 7 against Maryland. He was also 2 for 5 against USC. So in those other three games he shot 6 for 13 (46%). Seems to me more the randomness of a season than some suggestion he couldn't get his shot off.
Even if you want to say he was decent from 3 in those games, which I would disagree with, he was 5-27 on 2s, and when you combine those it's just not good.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Reading what's happening on the court before anyone else, knowing you're making the pass that leads to the pass that leads to a bucket, having vision of the entire court even when you're driving into the lane, always looking for your teammates, knowing who needs to get the ball regularly to stay engaged in the game, setting up your defender in a way that big men won't get called for moving screens on the perimeter, making sure everyone else is in the right spot on the court, etc.
No that’s what you think makes a GOOD point guard. There are plenty of point guards who don’t do those things.

Reaction Score
No that’s what you think makes a GOOD point guard. There are plenty of point guards who don’t do those things.
There are plenty of combo guards playing point guard that don't do those things, not plenty of point guards.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
That pretty much sounds like what a good point guard or point forward does. Primary ball handler would seem to be almost anyone who can pass and see the floor as well as drive (or possibly someone who can shoot from outside). Nadav Hennefield was called a point forward decades ago and at 6-8 could do all that and rebound to boot. Both Boatright and Napier as well as Vital were all excellent rebounders amazingly; great leapers and had a nose for the ball. But Boat often ran the half court offense as did Shabazz. This seems to be more of a point of semantics. If I understand correctly it is someone who can pretty much do whatever he seems to want to do if he gets the ball as opposed to calling plays. Usually this is reserved to fast breaks unless your someone like Kemba or say Bouknight who could make their own shot. I don't think Rocket would get the keys to run the show like that from DH but perhaps that is what he would LIKE to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom