OT: - Rock And Roll HOF | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Rock And Roll HOF

Reaction Score
Foreigner is one of the top selling rock bands of all-time and Lou Gramm was a vocal powerhouse.
this criteria might not mean much. I looked up three lists of bestselling artists - one was top 20 and Foreigner was not on it, one was top 25 and foreigner was 17 and a list that just listed artist in order had Foreigner at 71st.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Foreigner is one of the top selling rock bands of all-time and Lou Gramm was a vocal powerhouse.
Yeah, corporate rock. Boston was 10x better.

Reaction Score
So this article about Sammy Hagar being a guitar hero came up on my feed. Sammy is in the HOF with Van Halen and I was curious how good he was outside of Van Halen. It also got me to thinking about people who were inducted as part of a band, solo, or both, or multiple bands.

Might be a good separate thread. Rather than just list all of the people and their bands, some may want to display their knowledge.

1. Paul McCartney - The Beatles 1988 - Solo Career 1999

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Boston was better. Both were good. Neither were "corporate rock" which mostly became a thing in the 90s as overproduction and then autotune started to become common and MTV influence meant less focus on the music. Now we have AI bands. It's pathetic and sad.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Neither were "corporate rock" which mostly became a thing in the 90s as overproduction and then autotune started to become common and MTV influence meant less focus on the music.
Did you read this on Wikipedia? Because "corporate rock" was a common term in the 70's.

Reaction Score
It's funny you say that because I always associate the two bands with each other. I'm not much of a fan of either but give Foreigner the slight edge because of Lou Gramm's voice.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Did you read this on Wikipedia? Because "corporate rock" was a common term in the 70's.
No. My father in law was in the record business in that era, so I got a lot of inside background on it. You may mean something different by "corporate", but Boston was a group of talented musicians formed from a band called Mother's Milk. Stoltz was the genius behind it, started it while at MIT. Most of that debut album was recorded in the home studio Stoltz built in his basement. Very non-corporate.

Foreigner's origin is likewise not very corporate. If you mean AOR, which shouldn't be called corporate rock, fine. Nearly every band you've heard of in that era is AOR.

For me, Corporate denotes an artist designed by a marketing team from day one. I suppose the Monkees were the first, and then rebelled against it. Now that's a huge chunk of modern acts. Simon Crowel put One Direction together.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My father in law was in the record business in that era, so I got a lot of inside background on it.
I have no inside background but I read Creem Magazine in the 70's and they called Foreigner corporate rock.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's funny you say that because I always associate the two bands with each other. I'm not much of a fan of either but give Foreigner the slight edge because of Lou Gramm's voice.
What makes Boston more HOF-worthy too me was that they were phenomenon when they first hit the airwaves. They sounded much better on the typical car stereo then anything else. I think they were influential in making other bands pick up their sound game. That entire first album is good. I always considered Foreigner as replacement-level hard rock; only as good as their hits. Their one most identifiable riff came from a hired sax player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom