OT: - Rock And Roll HOF | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Rock And Roll HOF

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Croce essentially had 3 albums. I really loved his music. But not a HOFer. Not around long enough. Not his fault.
How's it going JD?

I do understand your point but that argument went out the window decades ago when they inducted Edfie Cochrane.

My personal complaints about the R&R HOF are that a) there are quite a few members who while talented and decorated artists, would never be classified as rock & roll; b) there are many acts/artists who have been inducted (covering many genres) who while having had successful careers, should never have been a conversation as hall of fame performers and c) for many years, the selection process was heavily weighed by how Jan Wenner felt about certain individuals personally.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
For many years, the selection process was heavily weighed by how Jan Wenner felt about certain individuals personally.
felt, as in, they let him feel his nutsack, or vice verse?

Reaction Score
How's it going JD?

I do understand your point but that argument went out the window decades ago when they inducted Edfie Cochrane.

My personal complaints about the R&R HOF are that a) there are quite a few members who while talented and decorated artists, would never be classified as rock & roll; b) there are many acts/artists who have been inducted (covering many genres) who while having had successful careers, should never have been a conversation as hall of fame performers and c) for many years, the selection process was heavily weighed by how Jan Wenner felt about certain individuals personally.
I get it. Cochran was iconic but not HOF iconic. Lot of groups got in to me who should not have. Dolly Parton probably belongs in more than one Hall but not this one.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's long stopped being a Hall of Fame for Rock and Roll and has turned in to a "Influential Musicians and Groups" HoF.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I've never even heard of The Meters. What the hell is that?

If the link works for non-subacribers, here's a Spotify sampler of The Meters and related music...

Also, while focused on music coming out of Memphis instead of New Orleans, the HBO documentary "STAX: Soulsville U.S.A." is well worth watching.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yeah. Who?
If you know who the Neville brothers are, you're likely familiar with The Meters. Art and Cyril were in both the Neville Brothers band and The Meters.

That said, while influential, I don't think they're first on the list of snubs.

Not that I'm a fan of theirs, but given who's made the cut, I'm wondering what the RRHoF has against Chic. Nominated 11x when nobody else on the outside has been nominated more than 4x.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think The Monkees are the most glaring oversight. And letting in Foreigner was like baseball letting in Harold Baines. It was the end of any standards.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Looking at the list of inductees, it seems that motown and blues/R&B were included at the outset. I'm ok with that. Going chronologically, there are some blues artists I'd question because I don't know them. The big names are obvious. Bob Marley is worthy, but also a departure from the Blues/Rock genre. Little Willie John and The Shirelles seem weak. Loyd Price, Gene Vincent, pretty weak. Staple Singers were fist ballot, but do they fit? Then we go off the trail regularly with the likes of ABBA. It gets worse from there.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Looking at the list of inductees, it seems that motown and blues/R&B were included at the outset. I'm ok with that. Going chronologically, there are some blues artists I'd question because I don't know them. The big names are obvious. Bob Marley is worthy, but also a departure from the Blues/Rock genre. Little Willie John and The Shirelles seem weak. Loyd Price, Gene Vincent, pretty weak. Staple Singers were fist ballot, but do they fit? Then we go off the trail regularly with the likes of ABBA. It gets worse from there.

I have no problem with including artists who directly influenced the originators of Rock and Roll.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I have no problem with including artists who directly influenced the originators of Rock and Roll.
Right. Seems appropriate if they were really good and important. Robert Johnson should probably be on there. But ABBA? The Shirelles influenced some rock band? Grandmaster Flash?

Reaction Score
I think The Monkees are the most glaring oversight. And letting in Foreigner was like baseball letting in Harold Baines. It was the end of any standards.
The standards were eliminated long before Foreigner

Reaction Score
Right. Seems appropriate if they were really good and important. Robert Johnson should probably be on there. But ABBA? The Shirelles influenced some rock band? Grandmaster Flash?
Here is my take on Abba. They sold almost 400 million albums world wide. The teeny booped groups get kids and housewives interested in music. As they grow many of them form more sophisticated tastes. They belong. Not my cup of tea. The HOF should break up into categories a bit more so rap acts are not competing with crooners.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Here is my take on Abba. They sold almost 400 million albums world wide. The teeny booped groups get kids and housewives interested in music. As they grow many of them form more sophisticated tastes. They belong. Not my cup of tea. The HOF should break up into categories a bit more so rap acts are not competing with crooners.
I like ABBA. Dancing Queen is a brilliant song, it's even fun when covered. But Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Not pop/disco Hall of Fame. I can't believe @storrsroars mentioned Chic. Even people like James Taylor are pretty iffy inclusions. Glen Campbell would be more "rock" than that. I'm cool with the blues legends who inspired Rock & Roll but the genre creep is a bit much.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I like ABBA. Dancing Queen is a brilliant song, it's even fun when covered. But Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Not pop/disco Hall of Fame. I can't believe @storrsroars mentioned Chic. Even people like James Taylor are pretty iffy inclusions. Glen Campbell would be more "rock" than that. I'm cool with the blues legends who inspired Rock & Roll but the genre creep is a bit much.
I mentioned Chic not because I think they belong, but because they've been nominated 11 times. Nobody else has been nominated more than four times.

Also, the name is "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame", not "Rock Hall of Fame". There are actually very, very few true rock n' roll performers in there. So it's not like they've ever drawn a hard line on what type of acts they'll let in other than the first 2-3 classes. If most of the bands in there were on the old American Bandstand, I doubt many of them would score 80+ on the "It's got a good beat and you can dance to it" scale - and that's what rock n' roll was all about.

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I feel Brian Setzer belongs. Rockabilly and Swing excellence.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Robert Palmer should be in there.

He absolutely does. I'm suprised that he isn't in.

This is from a decade before Addicted to Love/MTV nd one of the best things he did,

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
He absolutely does. I'm suprised that he isn't in.

This is from a decade before Addicted to Love/MTV nd one of the best things he did,

Funny you should mention Robert Palmer because I was lambasted for suggesting The Meters are the RNR HOF's biggest omission. The Meters & Lowell George were the backing band on Palmers "Sneaking Sally Through The Alley" album.

As a side note, I saw him in 1987 at RCMH (Addicted to Love tour). Keith Hernandez & his daughters sat right in front of me and my date.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Foreigner is one of the top selling rock bands of all-time and Lou Gramm was a vocal powerhouse.
I thought it was a little strange that we had people complaining about Foreigner being in and The Meters not being in.
Animated GIF

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom