Rob Dauster/Aaron Torres on KO | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Rob Dauster/Aaron Torres on KO

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Both of the guys on the podcast grew up in CT and were UConn fans. One went to UConn had has wrote a book about the 2011 championship run I believe. So they know UConn basketball, but I think it's safe to say neither watches every single game like we do.

I get the knock on Ollie's offense, but if it isn't that different to what Calhoun was running, maybe it really just comes down to not having the right pieces to run an offense that relies on individual play making.

Where I think they didn't give Ollie enough credit was the defense. Sure, right now our defense is putrid, but if there is one aspect Ollie has coached well these past couple years I think this is it, and I believe it will improve. We are a team that relies on defense, but because we have had so much personnel turnover it seems that every year we have to get half the guys up to speed and until that happens we struggle.

Reaction Score
Starts at 8:30 or so to 18:00.

"Not a pretty product"
"Under Achieving"

The "simplest scout" comment came from an opposing coach.

Lost credibility when he said JC wasn't a great offensive coach and when he said he couldn't name even one of the UConn bigs.
Where is the part about UConn? I forwarded to 8:30 and they are talking about Arizona. I've listened all the way to about the 30:00 mark and nothing about UConn yet.

Reaction Score
So let me guess. Not a lot going well in your life right about now?

Still have not seen you post any else of interest from the podcast. Pretty telling, no?

I like your style. Just try to be as stupid as possible hoping that I throw my hands up and walk away.

That being said, I literally told you why I listened to the full segment in my last post.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I didn't listen but as long as I can remember, UConn has never ran anything complex on offense. Most of the best teams don't. The thing is, whatever you run, you have to run it well with good spacing and strong cuts and screens. UConn needs some work there. There are so many good plays out of a simple high pick and roll that can't be stopped if you have the right players and right shooters to space the floor.

Exactly. Execution beats scheme every time. Syracuse 2-3 zone isn't complex at all, but teams struggle with it. Execution.

It's like the NFL. You can know what's coming, but if every player executes correctly, it's really hard to stop.

There was nothing complex about JC's offense, but they scored a lot of points. Stifling defense lent to that as well.

Reaction Score
Where is the part about UConn? I forwarded to 8:30 and they are talking about Arizona. I've listened all the way to about the 30:00 mark and nothing about UConn yet.

Don't hit the fast forward button because doing that will actually take you to their next pod (or at least it did for me). I had to click around on the actual progress bar thing and picked it up from about 8 minutes on.

Reaction Score
Don't hit the fast forward button because doing that will actually take you to their next pod (or at least it did for me). I had to click around on the actual progress bar thing and picked it up from about 8 minutes on.
That's what I did. I'll try that again. Thanks.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Both of the guys on the podcast grew up in CT and were UConn fans. One went to UConn had has wrote a book about the 2011 championship run I believe. So they know UConn basketball, but I think it's safe to say neither watches every single game like we do.

I get the knock on Ollie's offense, but if it isn't that different to what Calhoun was running, maybe it really just comes down to not having the right pieces to run an offense that relies on individual play making.

Where I think they didn't give Ollie enough credit was the defense. Sure, right now our defense is putrid, but if there is one aspect Ollie has coached well these past couple years I think this is it, and I believe it will improve. We are a team that relies on defense, but because we have had so much personnel turnover it seems that every year we have to get half the guys up to speed and until that happens we struggle.

And I'll add to your defense comment that Ollie wants to get out into transition and get buckets on the fast break; not very different from Calhoun. Without the defense performing, the offense isn't what it's supposed to be in the first place...

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
And I'll add to your defense comment that Ollie wants to get out into transition and get buckets on the fast break; not very different from Calhoun. Without the defense performing, the offense isn't what it's supposed to be in the first place...

Yeah exactly. When our defense is working properly it negates our simplicity on offense. Our bigs this year might not be shot blockers, but they seem to be much better at outlet passes. So if are able to ratchet up the defense we might actually have an opportunity to run this year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Probably between 8:30 to 8:45 is the start of it. There's not much there, other than what's been said here.

CL82

Reaction Score
I like your style. Just try to be as stupid as possible hoping that I throw my hands up and walk away.

That being said, I literally told you why I listened to the full segment in my last post.
Translation: "Golly there really wasn't anything of substance, and name calling really doesn't seem to bother this guy at all so I'll just give one finally bark and put my tail between my legs and slink away."

Good plan, you really should have gone to it sooner.

Reaction Score
Starts at 8:30 or so to 18:00.

"Not a pretty product"
"Under Achieving"

The "simplest scout" comment came from an opposing coach.

Lost credibility when he said JC wasn't a great offensive coach and when he said he couldn't name even one of the UConn bigs.

Honestly, Calhoun was not a great offensive coach. My father, god rest his soul, who coached for 20 years and was quite successful at the junior high school travel team level (his teams won over 80% of their games) used to comment on that all of the time. Interestingly, my father did follow a significant amount of what coach K taught over the years, including his famous match up zone.

But my father would also say that Calhoun was a brilliant defensive coach (the big-to-big double team strategy we used on Elton Brand in the 1999 National Championship game was a perfect example) and a master at getting most of his guys to play with his fire, passion and intensity. He was THE BEST at imposing his will on his players and on games. As good if not better than practically any coach we have ever seen. That is the biggest single secret of his coaching success, and an absolutely underrated part of his greatness.

The big difference (unfortunately) between Calhoun and Ollie are not on the offensive end... they are on the defensive end, and the willingness to pull out a guy - any guy, even the best player - who was not giving full effort on defense and get in his grill, and sit him for awhile, if need be. Ollie is showing all of us that he does not believe that style works. Except that after 3 years and 8 more games after losing Shabazz to graduation, the proof that he is wrong is obvious, and right there for us all to see. Fact is, Calhoun would have pulled Terry Larrier's lazy butt off the court multiple times by now... and Jalen's butt also, when he is being lackadaisical. Ollie's unwillingness to impose his own steel will on the players and during the game (he does not get in the referees' faces enough, either... I agree with the multitudes of you who comment on that) leads to the uneven play, all-too-often slow starts and extended runs by the other teams that we witness in practically every game.

Calhoun never put up with it and for that reason it hardly ever happened, even when we were under-manned. If Ollie does not come to terms with this aspect and adjust his thinking accordingly, he will end up getting fired from this job at some point, either sooner or later.

pj

Reaction Score
Honestly, Calhoun was not a great offensive coach. My father, god rest his soul, who coached for 20 years and was quite successful at the junior high school travel team level (his teams won over 80% of their games) used to comment on that all of the time. Interestingly, my father did follow a significant amount of what coach K taught over the years, including his famous match up zone.

But my father would also say that Calhoun was a brilliant defensive coach (the big-to-big double team strategy we used on Elton Brand in the 1999 National Championship game was a perfect example) and a master at getting most of his guys to play with his fire, passion and intensity. He was THE BEST at imposing his will on his players and on games. As good if not better than practically any coach we have ever seen. That is the biggest single secret of his coaching success, and an absolutely underrated part of his greatness.

The big difference (unfortunately) between Calhoun and Ollie are not on the offensive end... they are on the defensive end, and the willingness to pull out a guy - any guy, even the best player - who was not giving full effort on defense and get in his grill, and sit him for awhile, if need be. Ollie is showing all of us that he does not believe that style works. Except that after 3 years and 8 more games after losing Shabazz to graduation, the proof that he is wrong is obvious, and right there for us all to see. Fact is, Calhoun would have pulled Terry Larrier's lazy butt off the court multiple times by now... and Jalen's butt also, when he is being lackadaisical. Ollie's unwillingness to impose his own steel will on the players and during the game (he does not get in the referees' faces enough, either... I agree with the multitudes of you who comment on that) leads to the uneven play, all-too-often slow starts and extended runs by the other teams that we witness in practically every game.

Calhoun never put up with it and for that reason it hardly ever happened, even when we were under-manned. If Ollie does not come to terms with this aspect and adjust his thinking accordingly, he will end up getting fired from this job at some point, either sooner or later.

It was the intense effort that made Calhoun's teams so fun to watch. You could see something good happen on every possession, especially every defensive possession.

Ollie's teams, it's been too easy to say, I'm fairly confident nothing exciting is going to happen for the next 10 possessions, so I can tune them out. And then never go back.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Did Aaron Torres write a book after a UCONN title run?

Reaction Score
Translation: "Golly there really wasn't anything of substance, and name calling really doesn't seem to bother this guy at all so I'll just give one finally bark and put my tail between my legs and slink away."

Good plan, you really should have gone to it sooner.

I've gotta say, the being stupid thing was a much better look for you. I guess you're still kind of doing it, since for the 3rd post in a row you seem to not understand why I listened to the full segment. Bless your little heart.

CL82

Reaction Score
I've gotta say, the being stupid thing was a much better look for you. I guess you're still kind of doing it, since for the 3rd post in a row you seem to not understand why I listened to the full segment. Bless your little heart.
Lol, man you are such an empty suit.

I'm very proud of you for listening to the entire segment, very proud indeed. So, are ready post anything other than the second hand reference to UConn being an easy scout yet?

Reaction Score
Lol, man you are such an empty suit.

I'm very proud of you for listening to the entire segment, very proud indeed. So, are ready post anything other than the second hand reference to UConn being an easy scout yet?

So now you're reduced to slightly different variations of the same question I've already answered? Cute.

CL82

Reaction Score
So now you're reduced to slightly different variations of the same question I've already answered? Cute.
Golly, I must have missed it. Why don't re-post it here so I can know what I missed.

Reaction Score
Golly, I must have missed it. Why don't re-post it here so I can know what I missed.

Or you know, you can just find it yourself. Thread's only a few pages long, shouldn't be too much of a struggle, even for those with limited mental faculties.

Happy hunting :)

CL82

Reaction Score
Or you know, you can just find it yourself. Thread's only a few pages long, shouldn't be too much of a struggle, even for those with limited mental faculties.

Happy hunting :)
Uh huh. Coming up empty again.:rolleyes:
empty-suit1-1024x682.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44