Road to the 2018 FIBA World Cup | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Road to the 2018 FIBA World Cup

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Canada has given up most of a double-digit lead with empty possessions and porous defense.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Argentina hits to take the lead.

Canada has no offense.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Kia gets the lead back! 66-65 with 1:09 to go..

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Nurse cuts to the hoop and gives Canada the lead. A ragged but close game.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
The Argentines are going bonkers. Heaven knows what if they win. And they very well might. Canada by 1 with just seconds left. Time out.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Canada hangs on, barely, 67-65. Kia was leading scorer for Canada with 12.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kia's go-ahead basket stands up. Nirra Fields made 1 of 2 FTs, and Argentina's 30-footer to win went off the back rim. Canada wins the gold medal game by 2.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Another five minutes of that madness and Argentina likely wins. The home crowd nearly willed them to the win. Both teams missed bunnies in the second half that cost them. Where have you heard THAT before...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Very sad that an Argentinian player seems to have severely injured her knee. Their team was completely wiped out emotionally after that. T

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Wow. There is nothing quite like international competition and crowds. Some of those young Canadian guards showed some nerves but fortunately Nurse and steady Marie-Langlois settled things down and made some key shots. That last basket by Nurse was incredible; I still don't know how she caught that ball.

I still see Canada as a 6th-7th place finisher (at best) at the World Cup but another nice win.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I wasn't impressed with the athleticism or level of play, but I totally agree with Cat--playing against Argentina in Argentina, against Turkey in Turkey, or against Spain in Spain is harder than a Final Four or WNBA championship game. The crowds are loud and rowdy, almost beyond imagination.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I wasn't impressed with the athleticism or level of play, but I totally agree with Cat--playing against Argentina in Argentina, against Turkey in Turkey, or against Spain in Spain is harder than a Final Four or WNBA championship game. The crowds are loud and rowdy, almost beyond imagination.

I agree. Plus there's something about playing for your country that raises the stakes. That's why I thought the Team Canada coach made a mistake not starting Nurse and Marie-Langlois, 2 guards who've played in that type of atmosphere. At least she had the good sense to play them most of the 2nd half.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I am glad to see Canada doing so well. As most have pointed out, it's not likely they are one of the top 4 teams in the world but they certainly are trending in the right direction. Kia Nurse is not only a gutsy player, but she's smart, has ice water in her veins, has an intensity that few can match, and is a great leader. I am SO glad she chose UCONN. While I wish she would average 10-12 PPG and 5-6 APG, it's doubtful that on a team filled with scorers extraordinaire that she will be "needed".

Having said that, she had among the best, if not the best, 3 point % on the team last year, and it would be a mistake IMHO for her to NOT look for her shot when open. I hope she does not simply defer to the "better" scorers on the team. That's not what a leader does anyway. I hope the international experience has helped her this summer and that she comes to UCONN for her last year ready to help lead her team to a NC AND push for AA votes for her personally.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
So, the field for the FIBA 2018 World Cup is almost set. Up next is FIBA Afrobasket which begins later this week. The field so far:

USA
Spain (host)
France
Greece
Latvia
Turkey
Belgium
Japan
Australia
China
Korea
Canada
Argentina
Puerto Rico

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
First training camp under Dawn Staley will be held out in Sept 30-Oct 2 in Santa Barbara. Approximately 30 players expected to participate. The players will be announced at later date and will not include those playing in the WNBA finals.

Court coaches have been named and include Jennifer Rizzotti, Sue Semrau, Jeff Walz and Michelle Clark-Heard.

2017 USA National Team Training Camp Court Coaches Announced

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
First training camp under Dawn Staley will be held out in Sept 30-Oct 2 in Santa Barbara. Approximately 30 players expected to participate. The players will be announced at later date and will not include those playing in the WNBA finals.

Court coaches have been named and include Jennifer Rizzotti, Sue Semrau, Jeff Walz and Michelle Clark-Heard.

2017 USA National Team Training Camp Court Coaches Announced
Nice location!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The FIBA 2018 World Cup field of 16 is now set with Nigeria and Senegal qualifying from Afrobasket 2017.

USA
Spain (host)
France
Greece
Latvia
Turkey
Belgium
Japan
Australia
China
Korea
Canada
Argentina
Puerto Rico
Nigeria
Senegal
I sent FIBA an email last week asking where the games will be. I haven't heard back. The host cities were supposed to be announced in July.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I sent FIBA an email last week asking where the games will be. I haven't heard back. The host cities were supposed to be announced in July.

I'm wondering if FIBA will announce the venues at the one-year-to-go milestone in September.

The FIBA men's world championships were held in Spain in 2014 and there were 6 venues (Madrid, Barcelona, Bilbao, Granada, Seville and Canary Islands with the medal rounds played in Barcelona and Madrid. The men's field included 24 teams rather than the 16 teams in the women's tournament.

As we know, the 2014 tournament in Turkey included Istanbul and Ankara with the medal rounds in Istanbul. There were 3 venues for the 2010 women's world championships in the Czech Republic; the early rounds were in Brno and Ostrava and the medal rounds were held in Karlovy Vary. Interestingly, Prague was not one of the venues.

I expect Barcelona to be one of the host cities.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom