Road to the 2018 FIBA World Cup | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Road to the 2018 FIBA World Cup

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
FIBA released its latest world rankings a couple of weeks ago. Canada moves up a spot to #5!!

1. USA
2. Spain
3. France
4. Australia
5. Canada
6. Czech Republic
7. Turkey
8. Serbia
9. Brazil
10. China
11. Russia
12. Belarus
13. Japan
14. Cuba
15. Argentina
16. Korea
17. Senegal
18. Angola
19. Croatia
20. Greece

Teams not ranked in the top 20 that qualified for the World Cup include #22 Puerto Rico, #26 Latvia, #28 Belgium and #34 Nigeria.

Teams ranked in the top 20 that failed to qualify include #6 Czech Republic, #8 Serbia, #9 Brazil, #11 Russia, #12 Belarus, #18 Angola and #19 Croatia.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
FIBA released its latest world rankings a couple of weeks ago. Canada moves up a spot to #5!!

1. USA
2. Spain
3. France
4. Australia
5. Canada
6. Czech Republic
7. Turkey
8. Serbia
9. Brazil
10. China
11. Russia
12. Belarus
13. Japan
14. Cuba
15. Argentina
16. Korea
17. Senegal
18. Angola
19. Croatia
20. Greece

Teams not ranked in the top 20 that qualified for the World Cup include #22 Puerto Rico, #26 Latvia, #28 Belgium and #34 Nigeria.

Teams ranked in the top 20 that failed to qualify include #6 Czech Republic, #8 Serbia, #9 Brazil, #11 Russia, #12 Belarus, #18 Angola and #19 Croatia.
Thanks! Some teams may have over-achieved and others under-achieved relative to their ranking. In addition, each part of the world gets a certain number of slots, so the competition may be tougher in some places (Europe) than others (Africa).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The FIBA website has the countdown at 373 days! But still no word on which cities in Spain will host. I'm making 2018 plans now. :D

Reaction Score

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Yep. Do I want to stop in Morocco??
Maybe we could go Barclona for a few days during the early rounds and then head over to Tenerife for the final 3 rounds (maybe spend 5 days there?). Definitely will make us rethink the trip!

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Maybe we could go Barclona for a few days during the early rounds and then head over to Tenerife for the final 3 rounds (maybe spend 5 days there?). Definitely will make us rethink the trip!

I'm actually going to make this trip as part of 2018 being the year I turn 40. Does anyone know if USA basketball puts together a package or anything for fans? How do I even start planning this?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm actually going to make this trip as part of 2018 being the year I turn 40. Does anyone know if USA basketball puts together a package or anything for fans? How do I even start planning this?
What questions do you have?

Several of us were in Istanbul for the games in Sept. 2014.

Reaction Score
What questions do you have?

Several of us were in Istanbul for the games in Sept. 2014.

Yes, how do I get tickets? Will I be able to stay in one place on the island and travel to and from the games? Does USA basketball help fans at all?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yes, how do I get tickets? Will I be able to stay in one place on the island and travel to and from the games? Does USA basketball help fans at all?
Cat, Eric, TJI, et al. should feel free to chime in ...

We sat with USABB folks for the first 3 rounds, but hadn't contacted them beforehand. Feel free to email them.

I got tickets from FIBA on line a month or two in advance. Prices were very reasonable, maybe $15 for the early rounds and $30 for the later rounds. Most games were part of a doubleheader. I think it was about $130 per person for 6 dates.

The 2 arenas are 4-5 miles apart in adjacent cities on the northeast part of the island. You may want to stay near there. There are several resorts on the western part of the island, about 50 miles away. Rental cars are $100+ per day. (The 2 arenas in Istanbul were on different continents, about 20 miles apart.)

Though I live in the D.C. area, I expect to fly out of Newark. I'm hoping for $800 round trip to either Madrid or Barcelona.

There will be 6 sets of games on 6 days over a 9-day span (Sept. 22-30, inclusive). You'll have 3 off-days, I believe.

I'm disappointed in the remote location. I don't want to spend 9 days on Tenerife. Tentatively, I have decided to fly in from Madrid early on the 29th for the semis and out on Oct. 1, the day after the finals. I think the flight is 3 hours each way and as low as $81 round trip. I hope to meet you there!

Feel free to ask questions and let us know what you have planned.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Yep. Do I want to stop in Morocco??
Express, or rather a way to San Jose? What a beautiful looking little island though. Maybe it's time for the Canary's to host an entire Olympic Games.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Will prolly start a new thread to identify who wants to go. Looks to be an interesting island... Annnnd, there's SCUBA!!!! :) There also look to be some inexpensive, big AirBnBs... anyone interested?

Below is some info from a friend...
The venues for next year's World Cup are both in Santa Cruz: Santiago Martín Pabellón Santiago Martín, the primary arena, is in kind of an industrial area between downtown and the airport, while Quico Cabrera is maybe 10-12 blocks from the water. I believe they'll be using the same format as 2014, so games Saturday and Sunday (22-23), an off day on Monday, games Tuesday and Wednesday (25-26), another off day on Thursday, then the medal round on the weekend. My ambitious side is hopeful of finding a day or two afterwards to visit Marrakesh but haven't really looked into that leg yet. Look forward to seeing you there!

Tenerife to host FIBA Women's Basketball World Cup 2018

Booked this 2BR apartment for the duration of the World Cup as spots are filling up. It's 20 minutes from the airport and 600m from the second gym, which seemed the most likely spot for the U.S. to end up for pool play since they'll want Spain in the bigger/better arena.

http://kekas-guesthouse.santa-cruz-de-tenerife.hotel-tenerife.net/en/

Yes, the second arena they settled on (Quico Cabrera, image below) allegedly holds 4500 and is adjacent to the football stadium in downtown Santa Cruz. It's been approved for €15m worth of upgrades over the next 18 months http://Post original url/2tSVMxi, which is an odd timeline under the circumstances. Santiago Martín, which will host the knockout round, isn't much larger but is an ACB/Champions League facility. They're only about two miles apart, so at least fans should be able to choose games to attend on something of a daily a la carte basis, though it still seems strange the new 10,000-seater in Las Palmas wasn't made available…

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom