Road To Redemption | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Road To Redemption

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
What do political polish people do come election season?

They bicker constantly.*

* Very small sample size - my in-laws.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
30% of Americans support X.
50% of Americans support Y.
20% of Americans support Z.

*Source Quinnipiac poll; 2,500 people surveyed.
Understood - NOT!!!!
Thanks

Reaction Score
Nothing we say on here matters, not one thing. There isn't a recruit who doesn't commit here because some people don't believe in coach. There isn't a coach who changes their strategy because we criticize it. I look forward to the next positive event so we can celebrate, but as of right now, there's not much to be positive about.

Haven't agreed with everything you've written but there can't be any more truth to a post than this. Spot on like it or not.

Some just prefer to believe it will turn with the coach we have, that's me. But not saying I detest those who have less faith.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
All things being equal, a recruit isn't going to pick a program that is viewed even by its own fans as a sinking ship.

The sky has fallen posts aren't responsible for the state of the program. But those who seem to believe it's their responsibility to reply to every post with their chicken little crap, don't help, and add very little to this site. Say it once, and move on.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just remember that things can turn around quickly. It would start with a couple of solid recruits and then when the season starts some wins against quality programs early. That happens and there's a 180 degree change of direction.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I went out of my way to make a post that we could all for the most part agree on. Even the most positive all inclusive post on the boneyard wasnt immune to the negativity.

FAR from it. But thanks for trying.

When it comes to rooting for the team during a game, whether in the arena, on TV, on the radio, at home, at a friend's, in a sports bar, across time zones, whatever, "If you think it affects the mojo, it affects the mojo."

Here & now, not so much.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
We all know our program is a weird mixture of disaster and complete panic mixed with a weird irrational sense of UConn hope. Our fan base is split down the middle akin to liberals and conservatives in the USofA. We all want the same thing, a return to consitant excellence. We just have different views of where we are and what it'll take to get there. We spend 90% of our time on here talking about the things we dont agree about. It's time we just get behind the guys we have and all agree on one thing, just one. Thats that we are all rooting like hell for them to succeed next yr, our program depends on it, KO depends on it, and Calhoun's yrs of labor depend on it. We've panicked and complained long enough. Im a big believer in positive energy creates positive atmospheres which creates positive results. There is a proverbial dark cloud hanging over this program and KO, the players, the staff and all of us are to blame. Now the blame isnt evenly distributed, BUT there is nothing like that 6th man when a team is fighting for their relevance. We need to get behind this team this yr whether we believe or not. Because the empire that was built in Storrs depends on it.

OK, I'm with you, save for "a weird irrational sense of UConn hope"

and after saying that, you go on to show "a weird irrational sense of UConn hope"

:rolleyes:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Haven't agreed with everything you've written but there can't be any more truth to a post than this. Spot on like it or not.

Some just prefer to believe it will turn with the coach we have, that's me. But not saying I detest those who have less faith.
I believe Ollie will turn it around. But I'm not going to pretend what has happened isn't concerning. I'm also not going to pretend my opinion matters to anyone important. Any recruit who doesn't come here because the fan base is being negative, doesn't have the mental capacity of a college student.

Reaction Score
OK, I'm with you, save for "a weird irrational sense of UConn hope"

and after saying that, you go on to show "a weird irrational sense of UConn hope"

:rolleyes:
Im the king of weird irrational sense of UConn hope. My reasoning for having hope is we're freaking UConn lol

Reaction Score
I like the premise that it is what it is. I am reading here often looking for good news, like the Fordham kid deciding to come.

I'm tired of self proclaimed insiders sharing imaginary back stories. One thing for sure about real insiders, they don't post much on the boneyard and when they do, they never say anything detrimental to the program (which would be a recipe for the loss of insider status).

We just had a perfect storm of calamity. We lost 2 of our 3 best players and another player to early season ending injuries. Among the remaining players, several more man/games were lost to injury. 2/3 of the seniors we relied on showed little growth and less consistency and the up and comers didn't come up quickly.

While sensationalists calculate that this was all KO's fault, I can easily spin an imaginary back story where it is not so much KO's fault. He may have experienced a sophomore who would not commit to conditioning or playing defense or wasn't willing to commit to learning the skills the coaches chose to drill him on to improve the player in the role the coach favors for him. He may have showed loyalty to a new player recovering from high school injuries who took a scholarship, but then refused to work as instructed and then lost his sense of gratitude in the face of coaching demands. Maybe he gave a player minutes well beyond what he reasonably could have expected, coached him to the conference all rookie team and found him ungrateful and unsatisfied with his coaching, conference, team, future, etc.

What if a coach in such a situation got frustrated because his bench was so thin that he could not sit malcontents? If all he could do was verbally express his frustration, that might not be too pretty. What if this shakes the team's family dynamic and that dynamic is further shaken when the 2d in command, even in small ways, undermines the coach by not strictly supporting him across the board? What if some of the family puts itself up for adoption?

In the end, this is a college team. College sports are businesses. Players are looking to showcase themselves because they dream of being independent contractors at the next level. Coaches need Ws like politicians need cash for reelection. Wins and long March runs seem to come to a coach in control, with juniors and seniors, whose team is composed of players willing to conform to his vision. To me, this is the true riddle of the success a Kentucky or Duke achieve. How does a coach get a team move forward when only the anointed players go on to fame and fortune? Coaches are not getting Michael Jordans to limit their scoring and distribute the ball today. If you have alphas, you need to figure out how to prevent bench players from being malignant to team chemistry and bringing the team down.

I think KO has learned to be a coach in control through this., or maybe he learned it when Daniel Hamilton decided to go pro rather vie for time with Terry Larrier and this was all just needless pain.

Reaction Score
Positive vibes indeed affect winning. Ita why teams constantly preach about creating a good culture within the team or program. Don't bw naive

Sure but those positive vibes need to be organic driven by positive things happening (not players and recruits jumping ship). The culture you're talking about is within the team not the fans.

Putting on a blindfold and pretending everything is great is being NAIVE.

Reaction Score
Sure but those positive vibes need to be organic driven by positive things happening (not players and recruits jumping ship). The culture you're talking about is within the team not the fans.

Putting on a blindfold and pretending everything is great is being NAIVE.

Two sides to this one right? I mean I hope no one is blindfolded and thinking everything is great because it's not that's for damn sure. But the other side is the ones with the big eyes and smiles who actually only want to discuss how crappy it is, how KO is killing the program and how it seems we will never be UConn again. I mean NAIVE is one thing but thriving on constant negative news is beyond frustrating to read. Not sure why they even care about UConn? (not pointing at you RJ just piggybacking)

Reaction Score
This is a little off topic but does anyone know around what time the brackets will be announced for PK:80?

Reaction Score
Please name one poster, coach, reporter, or athletic director who is doing this. You may quote from OP if you find that helpful.

Ollie's contract extension November of 2016 by the AD seems extremely naive! The countless members of this board defending Ollie all season as irreplaceable coach is very naive!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Ollie's contract extension November of 2016 by the AD seems extremely naive! The countless members of this board defending Ollie all season as irreplaceable coach is very naive!
I asked for ONE poster, reporter, coach, or athletic director who is putting on a blindfold and pretending everything is great. You didn't name anyone.

Can you name one poster who claims that Ollie is irreplaceable? Or is "countless" another word for "zero?"

Bonus questions: what's your definition of "naive?" What's the difference between "extremely naive" and "very naive?"

C

Chief00

I like the premise that it is what it is. I am reading here often looking for good news, like the Fordham kid deciding to come.

I'm tired of self proclaimed insiders sharing imaginary back stories. One thing for sure about real insiders, they don't post much on the boneyard and when they do, they never say anything detrimental to the program (which would be a recipe for the loss of insider status).

We just had a perfect storm of calamity. We lost 2 of our 3 best players and another player to early season ending injuries. Among the remaining players, several more man/games were lost to injury. 2/3 of the seniors we relied on showed little growth and less consistency and the up and comers didn't come up quickly.

While sensationalists calculate that this was all KO's fault, I can easily spin an imaginary back story where it is not so much KO's fault. He may have experienced a sophomore who would not commit to conditioning or playing defense or wasn't willing to commit to learning the skills the coaches chose to drill him on to improve the player in the role the coach favors for him. He may have showed loyalty to a new player recovering from high school injuries who took a scholarship, but then refused to work as instructed and then lost his sense of gratitude in the face of coaching demands. Maybe he gave a player minutes well beyond what he reasonably could have expected, coached him to the conference all rookie team and found him ungrateful and unsatisfied with his coaching, conference, team, future, etc.

What if a coach in such a situation got frustrated because his bench was so thin that he could not sit malcontents? If all he could do was verbally express his frustration, that might not be too pretty. What if this shakes the team's family dynamic and that dynamic is further shaken when the 2d in command, even in small ways, undermines the coach by not strictly supporting him across the board? What if some of the family puts itself up for adoption?

In the end, this is a college team. College sports are businesses. Players are looking to showcase themselves because they dream of being independent contractors at the next level. Coaches need Ws like politicians need cash for reelection. Wins and long March runs seem to come to a coach in control, with juniors and seniors, whose team is composed of players willing to conform to his vision. To me, this is the true riddle of the success a Kentucky or Duke achieve. How does a coach get a team move forward when only the anointed players go on to fame and fortune? Coaches are not getting Michael Jordans to limit their scoring and distribute the ball today. If you have alphas, you need to figure out how to prevent bench players from being malignant to team chemistry and bringing the team down.

I think KO has learned to be a coach in control through this., or maybe he learned it when Daniel Hamilton decided to go pro rather vie for time with Terry Larrier and this was all just needless pain.
Larrier coming had nothing to do with Hamilton leaving.

Reaction Score
I assume we are brining in more than a grad transfer from Fordham but it is pretty hRd to get excited about a team that lost 3 guys and a top recruit and brought in 1 player from a lower level program. This is beginning to feel like St Johns post Carneseca.

Reaction Score
I assume we are brining in more than a grad transfer from Fordham but it is pretty hRd to get excited about a team that lost 3 guys and a top recruit and brought in 1 player from a lower level program. This is beginning to feel like St Johns post Carneseca.

It's entertaining to hear the guy who literally disappears from the board when the team is good complain about it being hard to get excited. I would assume you're more excited about next year's team than any in recent memory.

There are plenty of reasons for rational fans to be down, pessimistic, whatever, but you're just a troll who happens to blend in a little better these days given the state of things.

Reaction Score
I asked for ONE poster, reporter, coach, or athletic director who is putting on a blindfold and pretending everything is great. You didn't name anyone.

Can you name one poster who claims that Ollie is irreplaceable? Or is "countless" another word for "zero?"

Bonus questions: what's your definition of "naive?" What's the difference between "extremely naive" and "very naive?"

You're a genius! AD stands for athletic director. The difference of very and extreme is the moving scale of your stupidity.

Reaction Score
It's entertaining to hear the guy who literally disappears from the board when the team is good complain about it being hard to get excited. I would assume you're more excited about next year's team than any in recent memory.

There are plenty of reasons for rational fans to be down, pessimistic, whatever, but you're just a troll who happens to blend in a little better these days given the state of things.
I've been a UConn fan since Dee Rowe was the head coach. I get frustrated by bad play, recruiting guys who have no business on a college campus, criminal behavior, and rah-rah fans who refuse to accept reality.

Reaction Score
We are ripe for a piece of good news. It will purge a lot of the negativity.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom