RJ's got D? | The Boneyard

RJ's got D?

Reaction Score
Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 11.36.06 AM.png
's g

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
He's gonna have to show it before I pencil him in as a plus defender. Lots of factors are working against him.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Lets wait and see
If he is 2/3 the defender AG is he'll be fine

Reaction Score
Lets wait and see
If he is 2/3 the defender AG is he'll be fine

AG was either 5th or 6th on the team in defensive rating. Not a perfect measure, but one of the best available publically.

His ball pressure will be missed, and I'm not sure RJ can replicate it all game, but AGs half-court D was nothing to write home about.

I think missing Akok will affect the D the most. I'm assuming Gaffney and Bouk both take big strides defensively. Offense should be much better though IMO. Whaley playing like the end of last season, the ascension of Bouk, Polley back raining 3s, RJ and gaffney being effecient facilitators (hopefully).. should be entertaining to watch

Reaction Score
X Factor I would say will be Brendan Adams. Believe me I LOVE hearing about all the other players but I believe that Brendan is that type of player, that when we are needing a sorely missed hot hand he will be ready to plug in and produce. I think he is on the precipice of taking his game to the next level. DO NOT sleep on him!!! Cant wait for this season to be here!!!

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
X Factor I would say will be Brendan Adams. Believe me I LOVE hearing about all the other players but I believe that Brendan is that type of player, that when we are needing a sorely missed hot hand he will be ready to plug in and produce. I think he is on the precipice of taking his game to the next level. DO NOT sleep on him!!! Cant wait for this season to be here!!!
I know this thread is about RJ, but since you posted. Where does Adams get his minutes next year? I've been wondering about this for awhile.

Reaction Score
I know this thread is about RJ, but since you posted. Where does Adams get his minutes next year? I've been wondering about this for awhile.
I could absolutely be wrong but i think RJ is going to be big time. I think he`ll play in the NBA someday and have success there. Watching him play and he has the "it" factor. We`re going to win some games off his finger tips. Remember i said it.

Reaction Score
Chief thinks he will be just fine on defense. His HS coach was known to make defense a priority. LOL.
Many similarities between how JC and Bob Sr coached and what they expected from their players.. If you wanted minutes..You had to show you were a two way player in practice and in games.. I think JC reminds DH of his Dad..One of the reasons why they get along so well.. Expect the extra year RJ had to get stronger/faster ..And practicing vs the speed and quickness of AG/JG... Will pay dividends for his/the team's successes this season..

Reaction Score
AG was either 5th or 6th on the team in defensive rating. Not a perfect measure, but one of the best available publically.

His ball pressure will be missed, and I'm not sure RJ can replicate it all game, but AGs half-court D was nothing to write home about.

I think missing Akok will affect the D the most. I'm assuming Gaffney and Bouk both take big strides defensively. Offense should be much better though IMO. Whaley playing like the end of last season, the ascension of Bouk, Polley back raining 3s, RJ and gaffney being effecient facilitators (hopefully).. should be entertaining to watch

Agree with most but not on AG in half court. He was real good there too I watched him a lot. Fought through picks well, helped a lot when needed. Both Vital and Bouk were cheaters on defense quite often looking to make a play off the ball and he helped allow that with his quickness on the help. He will be missed there but I like what I’m hearing about RJ and hope he’s 2/3s as good they’ll be fine.

pj

Reaction Score

It's a good question. You need the distributors so RJ and Gaffney will get minutes. Bouk is going to be the go-to scorer and featured probably in his last year for the NBA, so you have to expect him to play nearly full time, 32-34 mpg. Andre Jackson has high upside, he needs to see the court and develop much like Bouk (25 mpg) and Gaff (19 mpg) did this year, so he'll be somewhere 15-20 mpg. If Tyrese Martin is eligible he seems to take all of Brendan's minutes - what does Brendan do that Tyrese wouldn't do better? Not to mention Polley who is a better shooter and was ahead of him pre-injury.

Brendan works as hard as anybody so I wouldn't sell him short, but he doesn't seem to have the natural talent of his teammates.

Reaction Score
It's a good question. You need the distributors so RJ and Gaffney will get minutes. Bouk is going to be the go-to scorer and featured probably in his last year for the NBA, so you have to expect him to play nearly full time, 32-34 mpg. Andre Jackson has high upside, he needs to see the court and develop much like Bouk (25 mpg) and Gaff (19 mpg) did this year, so he'll be somewhere 15-20 mpg. If Tyrese Martin is eligible he seems to take all of Brendan's minutes - what does Brendan do that Tyrese wouldn't do better? Not to mention Polley who is a better shooter and was ahead of him pre-injury.

Brendan works as hard as anybody so I wouldn't sell him short, but he doesn't seem to have the natural talent of his teammates.

If RJ is as good as some say and he can be the 30-35 minute PG then Gaffney could lose minutes also to Martin and Jackson. If Bouk can handle it from the 2 as he seems to be capable of Gaff may get minutes based on foul trouble and rest mostly. We will see all depends on improvement.

C

Chief00

Jackson is going to have some - wow - where did that come from blocks - saw him do it on the circuit last summer. I would love to (via the staff) get a Bill Russell / Bill Walton tape for Jackson/Akok, showing how to keep blocks in bounds and fast break them for 2 points. That's Chief’s kind of ball. Let’s get it done - video guys.

C

Chief00

If RJ is as good as some say and he can be the 30-35 minute PG then Gaffney could lose minutes also to Martin and Jackson. If Bouk can handle it from the 2 as he seems to be capable of Gaff may get minutes based on foul trouble and rest mostly. We will see all depends on improvement.

I would like to see Gaffney’s plus/minus, I do know in the all important metric, they started winning more when Gaffney and Bouknight started playing more. No 2 minute mental breakdown stretches.

Reaction Score
Playing time will work itself out. Never ever has every player actually filled his expectations. Some will not be as good as the Boneyard thinks. 2 years ago Sid was penciled in as a starter.

This will all work out and fall into place. If not it could be 2012 toxic.

Reaction Score
I would like to see Gaffney’s plus/minus, I do know in the all important metric, they started winning more when Gaffney and Bouknight started playing more. No 2 minute mental breakdown stretches.

From my point of view yeah he certainly did help he had to. But the simple view is they started making shots, Vital and Bouk in particular. Bouk was a different player maybe partially due to Gaff but not all. Same with Vital. The problem I saw was Gaff wasn’t the same in the last few when AG did step up and on D he wasn’t ready. On O he couldn’t start the offense where he needed to against a quick defender instead passing from the hash mark. He needs to be able to get deeper and penetrate on O and on D needs to keep people from beating him on the first step as often as last year. And of course shoot it a lot better. Like him but for me the jury is out as to whether he will get a ton of minutes.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
He’s really good at doing the types of things that get you minutes.
Which worked on last years team. But I'm not sure there's any minutes for him, outside of whenever Bouk needs to sit. Cole and Gaffney have the point locked down, Polley and Jackson are gonna be in a death battle for the 3. I'll be surprised if he averages more than 8 minutes a game, which probably makes him the 9th or 10th man.

Reaction Score
Never lose sight of the bigger picture. MEAC players who transfer to power programs rarely (I can’t think of 1) are more than backups. Which leads to the conclusion that they were in the MEAC for a reason. Cole might be the exception. But if he is he will be exactly that. He wasn’t the best player in New Jersey in high school. He was ranked in the high teens by most services and even the local paper He was not recruited by any high or mid majors. He was the star of a pretty bad team in the weakest league in the country. plus he is small. Some 6-4 guys with a shot will give him fits. Regardless of the early hype I expect Gaffney to be the pg Before the season gets too old.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Never lose sight of the bigger picture. MEAC players who transfer to power programs rarely (I can’t think of 1) are more than backups. Which leads to the conclusion that they were in the MEAC for a reason. Cole might be the exception. But if he is he will be exactly that. He wasn’t the best player in New Jersey in high school. He was ranked in the high teens by most services and even the local paper He was not recruited by any high or mid majors. He was the star of a pretty bad team in the weakest league in the country. plus he is small. Some 6-4 guys with a shot will give him fits. Regardless of the early hype I expect Gaffney to be the pg Before the season gets too old.

You're bad at scouting basketball players.

Reaction Score
Gaffney will not get the nod over Cole. Cole is a more complete player on the offensive side of the ball right now. Their defense is probably about the same

Reaction Score
Bazz and Boat played vs taller guards during the 2014 Tourney run.. The Kentucky guards were 6'6 and they ate their lunch.. I expect RJ to be more than adequate on D.. If DH decides to full court press vs bigger guards.. RJ and his teammates should be able to convert that strategy into easy buckets.. Do you think its possible that RJ's performance in practice had anything to do with AG deciding to spend his last year of eligibility somewhere else where he could get minutes?? I do..

Reaction Score
Every year it’s a different player that nobody has seen at this level that’s going to be the next great thing.

Purvis
Larrier
Sid

Are a few recent examples. Maybe the trend will change. But if history tells us anything excellent players from garbage conferences have a extremely low % of success on the big stage.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom