RJ's got D? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

RJ's got D?

Reaction Score
Every year it’s a different player that nobody has seen at this level that’s going to be the next great thing.

Purvis
Larrier
Sid

Are a few recent examples. Maybe the trend will change. But if history tells us anything excellent players from garbage conferences have a extremely low % of success on the big stage.

I admit to being nervous about what many think but I always go back to this thought with RJ. The others didn't play for Bob Hurley SR in HS and didn't get a year to play under Danny and against Vital and AG. It's a different transition and understanding of the hard work culture needed to move into this level. If he has the talent to go along with that then we know he's been taught by the best most of his years.

Hoping the kids ready, we need him to be for sure!

Reaction Score
Bazz and Boat played vs taller guards during the 2014 Tourney run.. The Kentucky guards were 6'6 and they ate their lunch.. I expect RJ to be more than adequate on D.. If DH decides to full court press vs bigger guards.. RJ and his teammates should be able to convert that strategy into easy buckets.. Do you think its possible that RJ's performance in practice had anything to do with AG deciding to spend his last year of eligibility somewhere else where he could get minutes?? I do..

I don't believe it had anything to do with AGs decision. If RJ is as good as AG was overall his last 6-7 games we will be very good. The fact is why would AG fight what is obvious, Danny brought him in to run the team for 2 years so the minutes would be split at best. He didn't leave because he thought he wasn't as good or maybe better than RJ it was just time to hand it over and go somewhere he can be the 30 minute guy. Like it or not even if AG was playing really good RJ and Gaff would still get minutes, why stay? The plan was in place, good for everyone, I hope!

Reaction Score
Every year it’s a different player that nobody has seen at this level that’s going to be the next great thing.

Purvis
Larrier
Sid

Are a few recent examples. Maybe the trend will change. But if history tells us anything excellent players from garbage conferences have a extremely low % of success on the big stage.

All of those guys had huge holes in their games. Cole is a far more complete ballplayer. Hurley wouldn't just blow smoke. This kid is a baller.

Reaction Score
What a luxury to be able to choose from a sophomore who contributed in substantial minutes as a freshman, and a conference player of the year transfer who averaged 22.5 ppg and 6.2 apg.

Reaction Score
What a luxury to be able to choose from a sophomore who contributed in substantial minutes as a freshman, and a conference player of the year transfer who averaged 22.5 ppg and 6.2 apg.
Totally agree.. Those guys pushing each other all last year and now the next two years can only help our chances in the BE and the Tournament.. Looking forward to seeing JG be 100% healthy and stronger..IMO...Think that ankle injury affected his quickness and explosion for more of the year than we thought....Great problem for DH to have..

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Never lose sight of the bigger picture. MEAC players who transfer to power programs rarely (I can’t think of 1) are more than backups. Which leads to the conclusion that they were in the MEAC for a reason. Cole might be the exception. But if he is he will be exactly that. He wasn’t the best player in New Jersey in high school. He was ranked in the high teens by most services and even the local paper He was not recruited by any high or mid majors. He was the star of a pretty bad team in the weakest league in the country. plus he is small. Some 6-4 guys with a shot will give him fits. Regardless of the early hype I expect Gaffney to be the pg Before the season gets too old.
Is RJ anywhere near to close the speed of Bazz?

Reaction Score
Bazz and Boat played vs taller guards during the 2014 Tourney run.. The Kentucky guards were 6'6 and they ate their lunch.. I expect RJ to be more than adequate on D.. If DH decides to full court press vs bigger guards.. RJ and his teammates should be able to convert that strategy into easy buckets.. Do you think its possible that RJ's performance in practice had anything to do with AG deciding to spend his last year of eligibility somewhere else where he could get minutes?? I do..
Bazz and Boat were the best guard combo in the country. Makes a difference. Coles would not see the floor on that team. And no I don’t think AG was scared off by Coles. He left because he A. Needed a new place and had just been at UConn for to long. and B. He lost the starting job to Gaffney and didn’t want to go out as a backup. Gaffney was just better. He wasn’t getting it back.

Reaction Score
Bazz and Boat were the best guard combo in the country. Makes a difference. Coles would not see the floor on that team. And no I don’t think AG was scared off by Coles. He left because he A. Needed a new place and had just been at UConn for to long. and B. He lost the starting job to Gaffney and didn’t want to go out as a backup. Gaffney was just better. He wasn’t getting it back.
Wasn't suggesting Cole could have started over either of those guys.. They were excellent players..Just suggesting that taller guards can obviously get shots off over shorter guards.. However, we all saw that that did not work well for Kentucky's taller guards.. Gaffney played with great maturity and was able to get the team into its offense much easier than AG ever could..We're good at PG for the next two years..

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Purvis
Larrier
Sid

Lazy analysis.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

Sheesh, at least learn the kid's name.

Reaction Score
All of those guys had huge holes in their games. Cole is a far more complete ballplayer. Hurley wouldn't just blow smoke. This kid is a baller.

Find another transfer with over 1500 points and over 400 assists in 2 seasons. I doubt he exists.

Reaction Score
Never lose sight of the bigger picture. MEAC players who transfer to power programs rarely (I can’t think of 1) are more than backups. Which leads to the conclusion that they were in the MEAC for a reason. Cole might be the exception. But if he is he will be exactly that. He wasn’t the best player in New Jersey in high school. He was ranked in the high teens by most services and even the local paper He was not recruited by any high or mid majors. He was the star of a pretty bad team in the weakest league in the country. plus he is small. Some 6-4 guys with a shot will give him fits. Regardless of the early hype I expect Gaffney to be the pg Before the season gets too old.

Unleash the beast, @JimHurley

Reaction Score

Find another transfer with over 1500 points and over 400 assists in 2 seasons. I doubt he exists.
And if we have a big showdown against North Carolina A&T I fully expect he will come up big. He was a good player on a bad team in a ver weak conference. I don’t know what games you watched last year but once Gaffney took over suddenly Bouknight began making plays. Vital settled down and played. The point guard didn’t get caught too deep in the lane. Cole was recruited by nobody.
my hope is that Hurley doesn’t buy the same hype you guys are. Great coaches are not sentimental. Good ones can be. It is one of the things that keeps them from greatness.

Reaction Score
And if we have a big showdown against North Carolina A&T I fully expect he will come up big. He was a good player on a bad team in a ver weak conference. I don’t know what games you watched last year but once Gaffney took over suddenly Bouknight began making plays. Vital settled down and played. The point guard didn’t get caught too deep in the lane. Cole was recruited by nobody.
my hope is that Hurley doesn’t buy the same hype you guys are. Great coaches are not sentimental. Good ones can be. It is one of the things that keeps them from greatness.

True. I mean Cole didn't show up vs the likes of Georgetown (28 points) or Indiana (27 points) or Gonzaga (16 points).

Reaction Score
Isaiah McCleod had 19 vs UConn for Southern Connecticut. We should have had him transfer. Probably would have been an All American in practice. Best scorer scores in a blow out. Big deal. Georgetown won by 30. Bet they were playing tough d in the second half. He had a bunch of points late. Had I think 9 at the half vs Indiana. Put up a bunch in garbage time. He was the only scorer they had.

Reaction Score
All the RJ Cole doubters are going to look silly. Here's an efficient, heady player who has great handle, averaged 6+ assists when he was also the primary scorer and had to carry that team.

Now he is flanked by a scorer like Bouknight, a finisher like Andre Jackson, a shooter like Tyler Polley?

Watch out.

I think his stats will look a lot like another lefty who once helmed the 'skies.

RJ Cole is probably going to score more than Marcus Williams, but I bet he will be the same level of quality and efficiency.

15 pts, 7 assists, 2 steals.

Mark it zero, smokey.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Maybe Cole wasn't allowed to play defense the way he would have liked. With the huge role on offense his coach may have hand cuffed him somewhat. Always felt that happened to Bazz.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Isaiah McCleod had 19 vs UConn for Southern Connecticut. We should have had him transfer. Probably would have been an All American in practice. Best scorer scores in a blow out. Big deal. Georgetown won by 30. Bet they were playing tough d in the second half. He had a bunch of points late. Had I think 9 at the half vs Indiana. Put up a bunch in garbage time. He was the only scorer they had.

Just stop.

Reaction Score

Sounds to me like your goalposts are on scooters.

Reaction Score

Purvis
Larrier
Sid

1. Calhoun hyped up guys who ended up being mediocre every season, it’s what coaches do

2. the guys you named came from the ACC and Big East, both are respected conferences, FYI

transfers are always hit or miss; it’s more about fit/coaching than lack of talent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom