RJ Cole joins Greek basketball team | The Boneyard

RJ Cole joins Greek basketball team

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Congrats to RJ!

Via Google Translate:

KAE Lavrio - Megabolt announces its agreement with athlete Robert Jalen ❞RJ❞ Cole for the 2022-2023 season.

The new player of our team was born on August 24, 1999 in New Jersey, he is 1.85m tall. and competes as a combo guard.

He started playing basketball at one of the best High Schools in the United States, Saint Anthony, where he was coached by Bob Hurley, a member of the Hall Of Fame since 2010 (with more than 1,000 wins and 26 championships in a 39-year career).

He chose Howard University and as a rookie in the 2017-2018 season he averaged 23.7 points, 3.9 rebounds and 6.1 assists in 33 games. In two seasons he was named Rookie of the Year (2018) and Player of the Year (2019) in the MEAC region, having 1510 points and 418 assists in 67 games.

From Howard he "moved" to the famous University of Connecticut, to compete under the instructions of Dan Hurley, son of the Hall Of Famer coach he had in High School.

He played two seasons with the U-Conn Huskies. In the first (2020-2021) in 23 games, including 20 as a starter and with 31 minutes of participation per game, he had 12.1 points, 3 rebounds, 4.3 assists and 1.1 steals, shooting 38.6 % from the three-point line.

Last year (2021-2022) he was the leading scorer, passer and "stealer" of the Huskies. In 33 games and 33.5 minutes per game he had 15.8 points, 3.4 rebounds, 4.1 assists and 1.1 steals, performances that made him a member of the top five in the highly competitive NCAA Big East.

RJ Cole, graduating from Connecticut with a degree in Economics, entered the NBA Draft, was not selected by any team, but was present in the Summer League, competing with the Los Angeles Lakers and in San Francisco and Las Vegas in five games (13 ', 3.4 points, 1.8 rebounds, 1.2 assists).

The Laurel Megabolt welcomes RJ to the family and wishes him a great season!

Reaction Score
This is a suburb in Athens and it's pretty ritzy and on the coast.

On the other hand, this has been the site of huge fires the last few years, and the biggest blaze in the last few years is going on right now on the hill / mount above this suburb.

Because of the hill (which doesn't have roads going over it) it's a very long way to the city from Lavrio.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm happy for RJ, I just hope his paychecks clear.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Great news for RJ. Also, I think it's a smart move to go to Europe now and earn some money rather than trying to land a spot in the NBA.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Great news for RJ. Also, I think it's a smart move to go to Europe now and earn some money rather than trying to land a spot in the NBA.

His summer league spot was never a tryout for the NBA. Just was not in the cards.
Megabolts is an awesome team name. I’m totally charged up about this. Good luck RJ!

They changed the name a few years ago when Jackie Moon bought the team.

Reaction Score
This is a suburb in Athens and it's pretty ritzy and on the coast.

On the other hand, this has been the site of huge fires the last few years, and the biggest blaze in the last few years is going on right now on the hill / mount above this suburb.

Because of the hill (which doesn't have roads going over it) it's a very long way to the city from Lavrio.

There were horrible fires around Athens when I was there last summer. Did a bunch of day trips and road closures and all the smoke in the air was a big issue.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone here thought he had a shot at the NBA. Greece is where he should be

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
His summer league spot was never a tryout for the NBA. Just was not in the cards.
Of course not. But I give him credit for not being under any delusions about that. Maturity to recognize it.

Vital has signed with a Canadian Elite team. I would think he could perhaps make more in Europe.

Reaction Score
A couple of recognizable names on the team last year, no idea if they'll be back. Rashad Vaughn and Terrance Ferguson were both 1st round picks in the NBA. Jahvon Blair and Kenny Goins were major conference college players too

Reaction Score
Good for him. Make the money while he is young rather than wallowing in the G League looking for an elusive two way contract. He really stepped up during his time in Storrs. He'll always be known as Pound Cake (in my group of 60 year plus fandom) for the way he pounded the ball at times. That was year one of his tenure, in year two it wasn't as pervasive. An Entenmann's is on us R.J. !!!!!

Reaction Score
Just a reminder that in Greece there is no lettuce in the Greek salad.

Reaction Score
Good for him. Make the money while he is young rather than wallowing in the G League looking for an elusive two way contract. He really stepped up during his time in Storrs. He'll always be known as Pound Cake (in my group of 60 year plus fandom) for the way he pounded the ball at times. That was year one of his tenure, in year two it wasn't as pervasive. An Entenmann's is on us R.J. !!!!!

You really shouldn't call him pound cake. Urban dictionary is sometimes going to be your best friend.

Reaction Score
I think this makes sense for him. He didn't get too much playing time in the Summer League and didn't play particularly well in the minutes he got. I don't know the financials but I'm sure it's much better for him to secure a bag overseas and play professionally rather than trying to play his way into onto a G League deal or 2 way contract. Who knows, maybe we'll even see him in the next few summer leagues if he can make a roster.

Plus, Greece.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom