RJ Cole Expectations | Page 5 | The Boneyard

RJ Cole Expectations

Reaction Score
No. Not even close. No pure point guard, and we always had a pure point to win (even if, in Taliek's case, he didn't score as much as the Boneyard wanted). No go to scorer, and when we won we always had a go to scorer. And third, that's a roster deep with fair talent, but how many of those players had more than a cup of coffee in the NBA? How many even had a cup of coffee.

The '16 team was much better on the court than our first round exit '12 team, and that team had Drummond, Oriakhi, Lamb, Shabazz, Boat, Daniels and others. Could the '16 team have won a few more regular season games? Probably, but if you're outside the Top 20 that's always the case. Elite 8? That's absolutely absurd.

So 2nd team All-Big East Sterling Gibbs and top 25 recruit Jalen Adams weren’t adequate at PG? Come on. IMO Shonn Miller was the default “go-to guy.” If we needed a bucket I’d go to him. But this team had plenty of scoring options. They just weren’t coached properly. We had Gibbs, Purvis, Hamilton, and Miller to distribute lead scoring duties.

Reaction Score
I know guys I grew up playing with who played low level D1 and D2 who made the NBA G league.

That means they made it further than a lot of great UConn players.

There are great players at all levels.

A lot of schools look over great 3 dimensional players like RJ bc of size or other physical qualities.

He will surprise you. He’s going to be a better starter for us then CV and Gilbert. Calling it now
LOL well that proves it then. Some message board knucklehead knows some guy who played D2 but made the G league so that proves that Coles will be a great player. He was putting up great stats playing the likes of Coppin State and Florida A&M, not Villanova and Duke. There is a modest difference in size speed strengh and talent. But just explain to me how the best player in New Jersey, a state that produces it fair share of talent was passed over by virtually everybody? And why you think star quality in the worst conference in the country equals staring in one of the best? Is it possible? Sure. But probable is a completely different thing.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
So 2nd team All-Big East Sterling Gibbs and top 25 recruit Jalen Adams weren’t adequate at PG? Come on. IMO Shonn Miller was the default “go-to guy.” If we needed a bucket I’d go to him. But this team had plenty of scoring options. They just weren’t coached properly. We had Gibbs, Purvis, Hamilton, and Miller to distribute lead scoring duties.

I'm not interested in the overall argument, but if you told me today Freshman Adams and GT Sterling Gibbs would be our starting PGs next year I'd be depressed

Jalen not ready, and Sterling miscast

Reaction Score
Hoping he can be the next Khalid El-Amin
You must be kidding! Khalid was a McDonald’s all American. He destroyed anyone he played against head to head.i hope Rj can average 10 points a game with 4 assists. That would be wonderful!

Reaction Score
I'm not interested in the overall argument, but if you told me today Freshman Adams and GT Sterling Gibbs would be our starting PGs next year I'd be depressed

Jalen not ready, and Sterling miscast

You can do A LOT worse than a 2nd team all-Big East GT and top 25 freshman PG.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You can do A LOT worse than a 2nd team all-Big East GT and top 25 freshman PG.

That's one of those things that sounds good in a vacuum.

Neither of which were suited to running the point. It was clear Gibbs was a scoring guard. And Adams wasn't remotely ready to play point...he was a combo we were converting.

Happy to have them on the team. Rather have a real PG running it

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Neither of which were suited to running the point. It was clear Gibbs was a scoring guard. And Adams wasn't remotely ready to play point...he was a combo we were converting.

Happy to have them on the team. Rather have a real PG running it
This is hindsight/revisionist history. Jalen was a point guard and when he was coming here people thought he had a chance to go to the NBA as an underclassman. Gibbs was a point guard and a pretty darn good one at SHU.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
This is hindsight/revisionist history. Jalen was a point guard and when he was coming here people thought he had a chance to go to the NBA as an underclassman. Gibbs was a point guard and a pretty darn good one at SHU.

It's not revisionist history. It's observation of exactly how they performed on the court. I don't care what people thought ahead of time.

I think it was evident to anyone who watched that season that Gibbs was miscast.

And what does it matter if people thought Jalen was going to the NBA. They were all ridiculously wrong.

If you told me these two are our starting PGs next year....I'd be depressed.

Reaction Score
It's not revisionist history. It's observation of exactly how they performed on the court. I don't care what people thought ahead of time.

I think it was evident to anyone who watched that season that Gibbs was miscast.

And what does it matter if people thought Jalen was going to the NBA. They were all ridiculously wrong.

If you told me these two are our starting PGs next year....I'd be depressed.
Well I assumed you were talking about Jalen coming in as a freshman (one of the top point guard recruits in the country) and Gibbs as the top transfer point guard in the country. We all know it didn't work out, that's why I said hindsight/revisionist history.

Reaction Score
LOL well that proves it then. Some message board knucklehead knows some guy who played D2 but made the G league so that proves that Coles will be a great player. He was putting up great stats playing the likes of Coppin State and Florida A&M, not Villanova and Duke. There is a modest difference in size speed strengh and talent. But just explain to me how the best player in New Jersey, a state that produces it fair share of talent was passed over by virtually everybody? And why you think star quality in the worst conference in the country equals staring in one of the best? Is it possible? Sure. But probable is a completely different thing.
Alright man. Chill out. Time will tell. I’m just saying a lot of great players get passed up by high majors every year. And I’ve known a lot more than one player throughout my life that fits that bill. No need for the knucklehead comment though. Overly defensive. Maybe bc you’re questioning your original point you felt the need to call me a name. Not sure

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Also they know each other from Jersey. Chief00 knows the Grind.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how this has anything to do with RJ Cole, but I'll chime in. Under Calhoun, 2016 is an E8 team at a minimum. Sterling Gibbs, Rodney Purvis, Jalen Adams, Omar Calhoun, Daniel Hamilton, Shonn Miller, Kentan Facey, Amida Brimah, Steven Enoch. Talent galore.

This seems like a stretch. That was a real solid team, and I wish we were that good right now. But as someone pointed out, there was no NBA talent on that roster. So unless Calhoun could have somehow molded some of those guys into pros, I don't think that team had the firepower to be a surefire Elite 8 team.

The thing is, that team was better than people think. We ended the year as #26 in KenPom. I know the non-UConn universe thinks we needed Jalen Adams's miracle shot to even make the tourney, but had he missed and we missed the tourney, it would have been one of the biggest oversights I can remember. We were #29 in KenPom going into that game, with wins over Michigan (50), Ohio St. (76), Texas (39), Memphis twice (75), Houston (61), Georgetown (62), Tulsa (65), and SMU (16), and not many egregious losses. I know those are a lot of bubble teams, but it's also plenty of top-75 wins. After winning the AAC tournament, we should have been a 6 or 7 seed. I'm willing to say we should have been a little better; I think we had top-25 talent, and with a better draw, could have very well been a Sweet 16 team. Just not a top-10 team.

Anyway, back to RJ Cole. I think he'll be good. He might very well be an upgrade. I'm not quite ready to say he'll be better than Sterling Gibbs, though. But I hope I'm wrong.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The other thing to remember about Cole is that he was only a sophomore last year. Our two best point guards of all time were flawed players as sophomores and improved significantly as juniors. I would expect someone with the talent of R.J. to be much better in his 3rd and 4th season, especially when you factor in the redshirt year.

Reaction Score
He is yet another short pg who played in the worst league in college hoops. I’m hoping he will be adequate, which honestly we haven’t had since Napier left.

pj

Reaction Score
He is yet another short pg who played in the worst league in college hoops. I’m hoping he will be adequate, which honestly we haven’t had since Napier left.

I'm glad we agree that Napier was adequate. If RJ is also adequate to lead a team to a championship, I'll be happy.

Reaction Score

Gibbs and Adams were both good basketball players. Neither was a pure point. And every team has someone who can take the last shot -- the question is how good they are. That you actually are comparing Miller to Hamilton, Okafor/Gordon, Kemba or Bazz is so ludicrous that Shonn Miller would be the first one to laugh at it.

That team could have had Calhoun or Wooden coaching it, and no one would have thought going into the season it had a chance to be an Elite 8 team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm glad we agree that Napier was adequate. If RJ is also adequate to lead a team to a championship, I'll be happy.
LOL. He was far more than adequate as you well know. But it has been a slow race since.

I love how some of you anoint players before they have played a single game for us. Who was the All-American who could score at will while being defended by a folding chair? Akok and Bouknight were potential 1-dones and Sid Wilson was going to turn the program around. Then there was the kid who was so good he even made SI but ended his career as a backup at Fairfield. Maybe Cole is as good as advertised but I’m going to wait and see before I anoint an undersized player from a low D1 program is the next Khalid.

Reaction Score

I think Cole is going to transition well to the BE regardless of previous conference affiliation. He is a cerebral intelligent player (and kid) who should be able to slow the game down mentally better than others trying to transition to a power conference. This will turn out to be a key strength to help UConn win some of these close games. IMO

Sometimes a player just inherently aligns with a coach/program. I think that is what we have here. Nate Oats recruited Cole with the idea he would have an immediate long term impact in the Alabama rebuild. Cole was sought after for a reason. There are certain intangibles he brings to the table that basketball people can see. I think he will make winning plays that won't have UConn ranked #343 per Ken Pom in luck factor.

Some of your concerns in general are legit as it applies to these type of transfers. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with Cole if you remain objective.

Thank you.

Reaction Score
RJ Cole is going to be a massive upgrade over Gilbert. I compared their advanced stats; Cole from last year to Gilbert this year. Its not a perfect comp of course (different teams, opponents, etc). But it gives a good perspective. Keep in mind we have played a number of low-mid majors this year so the level of competition isnt that far off and Cole looked great in his few games against major programs. Here are the stats:

1580080715169.png

Cole is going to be a major major upgrade on offense. He is a far superior and more efficient scorer and shooter. He assists it more and turns it over less. His defense is really bad (awful), but that is a strength of the rest of our team so that should help make up for it. Gilbert is also just ok on D anyways, so I'd rather have a great offensive player who makes everyone else better, but is a bad defender than bad offensive player who is just an ok defender. My expectations are very high for Cole next year, but at a minimum I don't think its even possible for him to be downgrade from what we are currently getting.

Edit: Gilbert ranks 9th or 10th (out of 10) in every single one of these categories except assist rate. So he is below Whaley, Gaffney, or both in every one of these.

Takeaway: We are going to be much better next year.

C

Chief00

I'm not sure how this has anything to do with RJ Cole, but I'll chime in. Under Calhoun, 2016 is an E8 team at a minimum. Sterling Gibbs, Rodney Purvis, Jalen Adams, Omar Calhoun, Daniel Hamilton, Shonn Miller, Kentan Facey, Amida Brimah, Steven Enoch. Talent galore.

I think Hamilton leaving early really screwed things up for the team and actually himself. He did not like class but come on, there’s ways to mitigate that factor.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom