RJ Cole Expectations | Page 6 | The Boneyard

RJ Cole Expectations

Reaction Score
Bet Cole doesn't miss 6 FTs. We are getting an upgrade at PG next year.

What else would you like to bet on with Cole? Here's some food for thought for all of those so sure we're going to be better because of the change of the guard. Looked at some stats for RJ vs higher ranked opponents at Howard, talent he will be expected to perform against the next 2 years. Granted he's a year older and more mature I certainly hope this helps because Im rooting for this guy, we need him. But nervous, here goes:

2017-18 vs GWU, Indiana, Zags, USF, GTown and UTEP he was 37% overall from the field and 39.5%from 3. The assists/TO ratio 29/14 not bad. His FT shooting is not an issue solid, won't miss 6 FTs you're correct there.

2018-19 vs UMass, So Illini, GWU, GTown, Harvard he was 35% overall from the field and 22.5% from 3. His ratio was 37/17.

Just saying he's a talented kid but he will need to improve against much higher competition as even some of these aren't very good compared to the Big East. Now we can't take completely away from the rest of his league as he was good and a prolific scorer. But when you see teams who can watch a film, make adjustments with kids who can guard we have to be careful to think he will be a savior. He can shoot it better than our PG now I have no doubts but he also will need people to talk the pressure off of him in order to get shots. We need more players who can shoot.

Reaction Score
I think Hamilton leaving early really screwed things up for the team and actually himself. He did not like class but come on, there’s ways to mitigate that factor.

Ollie clearly made some mistakes after 2014. But if Hamilton stayed another year and Larrier and/or Gilbert stayed healthy in 16-17, I think the last few years would have turned out a lot different.

Reaction Score
Ollie clearly made some mistakes after 2014. But if Hamilton stayed another year and Larrier and/or Gilbert stayed healthy in 16-17, I think the last few years would have turned out a lot different.

Agree but not sure of the timing as to when he lost his passion to be better than he already was. Did the decline start on his work ethic? But with those things you point to happening they could’ve been pretty damn good.

Reaction Score
Agree but not sure of the timing as to when he lost his passion to be better than he already was. Did the decline start on his work ethic? But with those things you point to happening they could’ve been pretty damn good.

I don’t know if those events working out differently would have fixed or covered up the underlying problems. I just think we wouldn’t have sunk so low.

Reaction Score
RJ Cole is going to be a massive upgrade over Gilbert. I compared their advanced stats; Cole from last year to Gilbert this year. Its not a perfect comp of course (different teams, opponents, etc). But it gives a good perspective. Keep in mind we have played a number of low-mid majors this year so the level of competition isnt that far off and Cole looked great in his few games against major programs. Here are the stats:

View attachment 50313

Cole is going to be a major major upgrade on offense. He is a far superior and more efficient scorer and shooter. He assists it more and turns it over less. His defense is really bad (awful), but that is a strength of the rest of our team so that should help make up for it. Gilbert is also just ok on D anyways, so I'd rather have a great offensive player who makes everyone else better, but is a bad defender than bad offensive player who is just an ok defender. My expectations are very high for Cole next year, but at a minimum I don't think its even possible for him to be downgrade from what we are currently getting.

Edit: Gilbert ranks 9th or 10th (out of 10) in every single one of these categories except assist rate. So he is below Whaley, Gaffney, or both in every one of these.

Takeaway: We are going to be much better next year.
Nice. But you are aware that 10 of the 12 teams in the MEAC were rated above 300 the others were 260 Norfolk St and 294. You think he might face modestly better defenses in the Big East? I do.

Reaction Score
Nice. But you are aware that 10 of the 12 teams in the MEAC were rated above 300 the others were 260 Norfolk St and 294. You think he might face modestly better defenses in the Big East? I do.
But at least his three point shooting will be good since three point shooting percentages are random and have nothing to do with the defense of the opposing teams. At least that's what I've been told.

C

Chief00

I don’t know if those events working out differently would have fixed or covered up the underlying problems. I just think we wouldn’t have sunk so low.

Chief00 agrees it was a combination. The personal decline, in the long run, was accompanied by a personnel quality decline as other “priorities“ took away from recruiting time. Chief00 just thinks the Daniel Hamilton early departure, accelerated everything. For one thing, the absence of the lob pass to Brimah actually impacted all aspects of his game, since a lob pass dunk often got him going defensively.
#ChiefCertified

Reaction Score
People don't realize what we are getting in Cole.
Cole is a smooth lefty shooter with the ability to drive to the hoop with contact.
Another season/offseason with coaching staff to improve his abilities will be excellent for furthering his development.
He reminds me of Markus Howard with the way his ability to 1v1 his defender when the offense is capitulating.
So excited for RJ to suit up for us next season.

Reaction Score

Yeah I'm aware. That's why I made that disclaimer multiple times. Did you miss that part?

The point is we don't even need a savior. We just need somebody who is better than what we are currently getting at PG. Hell, Craig Austrie is a major upgrade from what we are currently getting. Do you think Cole can be as good as Craig Austrie? I do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
People don't realize what we are getting in Cole.
Cole is a smooth lefty shooter with the ability to drive to the hoop with contact.
Another season/offseason with coaching staff to improve his abilities will be excellent for furthering his development.
He reminds me of Markus Howard with the way his ability to 1v1 his defender when the offense is capitulating.
So excited for RJ to suit up for us next season.

THIS. People have no idea what’s in store. This is a guy who’s going to be a floor general, hit outside shots, and finish at the rim.

Reaction Score
THIS. People have no idea what’s in store. This is a guy who’s going to be a floor general, hit outside shots, and finish at the rim.

I don't think he's ever had a game where he wasn't in double figures.

Reaction Score

I don't think he's ever had a game where he wasn't in double figures.

And to reiterate that’s with opposing defenses putting their focus on him. That won’t happen here when you have guys like James Bouknight, Andre Jackson, Sid Wilson, Tyler Polley, and Akok Akok on the floor with you. He’s going to have more space than he ever had at Howard. My only concern is defense but I’m convinced a year under Hurley will at least make him a serviceable defender.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom