RIP Toots Hibbert | The Boneyard

RIP Toots Hibbert

Reaction Score

The guy was regularly touring before Covid, but was hospitalized last month.

Awful news and a hard working, fun loving musician. Seen him live a few times and always a fun time. RIP Toots.

The music industry is losing a lot of legends in 2020.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yeah this one bums me out. Been playing Funky Kingston all morning. I have pretty strong memories associated with basically every song on this album. RIP.
I’m not usually big on collaborations, but he was also a great collaborator. His True Love album is a favorite of mine and that’s what I’m spinning. He matches up so well with such a broad range of people. The ones with Bonnie Raitt and Bootsy are my favorites but they are all great.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
His latest album is really good
Too bad there was so much time between it and the last one
Loved the guy live- lots of energy
RIP Toots

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Very sad news. Toots In Memphis is a car staple. ”Pressure Drop" is a world music epic tune. Blessed to have seen him twice at Toad's.

Very happy to see he gets a thread.

RIP Toots.

Last edited:

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Am I the only one that thought this had something to do with Richard Hamilton and Roy Hibbert? No? Just me?

Reaction Score
Am I the only one that thought this had something to do with Richard Hamilton and Roy Hibbert? No? Just me?
My mind went to Roy Hibbert as well. I’ve only known “toots” to mean one other thing though being the parent of young children.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Toots In Memphis is a car staple.
Thanks for mentioning this. I sampled it yesterday and ended up buying it and listening to it three times while washing my car and then driving around. Great interpretations.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Anybody else see him at Players Tavern, Westport ,1978?
Always, instantly fun to listen to. RIP.

Reaction Score
Ocean Mist June 7, 2019 on his tour. This was one of the talks of the beach last year and it was sold out in no time:

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I remember asking a social director at a JA resort who we should listen to, beyond Marley, that would be a nice intro to reggae music that we might not hear in the US. He recommended Toots & the Maytals and Morgan Heritage. Both are well repped on our JA playlist.

Reaction Score
Hung out with Toots backstage about ten years ago at some venue in the south end of Hartford - the Webster perhaps? Super nice guy. Morgan Heritage always felt a bit too religious to me - like but don't love.

Contemporary reggae artists I'm digging include Slightly Stoopid, Stick Figure (both from Cali) and Xavier Rudd (more roots than reggae but good stuff nonetheless - Australian I believe)

Reaction Score
Hung out with Toots backstage about ten years ago at some venue in the south end of Hartford - the Webster perhaps? Super nice guy. Morgan Heritage always felt a bit too religious to me - like but don't love.

Contemporary reggae artists I'm digging include Slightly Stoopid, Stick Figure (both from Cali) and Xavier Rudd (more roots than reggae but good stuff nonetheless - Australian I believe)

Some of my faves include Don Carlos, Barrington Levy, Collie Buddz. On the newer end, Elovaters, Fortunate Youth, most of the band playing SugarShack sessions. Also check out Eli-Mac.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

Skibs...look up a band out of Hawaii: The Green. Killer vibes.

Also Soja. As you note, Stick Figure is legit but I have not jumped on Slightly Stoopid. Or Rebelution. Or Iration. Probably because they already have 8+ albums out each. Wouldn't know where to start.

Deep mentioned Collie Buddz who I may be checking out soon.

Reaction Score
A good starter on Slightly Stoopid

Thanks for the recommendations gents - have been listening to the Green this AM. Have actually seen Soja - great stuff. Will check out Collie Buddz for sure

Reaction Score
Check out Ozomatli. These guys from LA have been melding, reggae, salsa and funk for 25 years....

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Check out Ozomatli. These guys from LA have been melding, reggae, salsa and funk for 25 years....

Can I ask how you know of them?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Can I ask how you know of them?
I got turned on to them almost 20 years ago when I liked the song “Quality Control” on the Made soundtrack and really liked the voice of Chali 2na. I learned that he had previously been a member of Ozomatli so I checked them out and loved them. Saw them at Jazz Fest in New Orleans a few laters later and they were fun. Great energy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom