RIP Tony Hanson | The Boneyard

RIP Tony Hanson

Reaction Score
So sad. If you never saw him play, you missed true magic in a UConn uniform. He, along with teammates Joey Whelton and Jim Abromaitis, brought a special combination of grit and grace to each and every game. He was an utter joy to watch play.

RIP.

Reaction Score
Saw him at Manley Field House at Syracuse (maybe his freshman year?) and he lead UConn to a very unlikely win. The fans there were out of their minds that lowly UConn was beating them and a couple idiots threw ice on the court near the end.
My wife and I were probably the only UConn fans there. Sat a few rows behind the bench and got a lot of nasty looks and a few comments, especially at the end. We didn't get assaulted though.

Reaction Score
I remember reading in the Norwich Bulletin the day he signed with UConn. I heard a story from a coach that Tony was interested in PC but they signed Billy Eason ( STM) so Tony picked UConn. Saw most of his games in field house and old HCC. Great great player and person.

Reaction Score
Tony was the ultimate mismatch for opponents. At 6’4” as a guard he was too big and strong for guards to control. His quickness, leaping ability and ability to score in so many ways made him unguardable by the bigs.

I talked to him and his old coach Dee Rowe at the Moorhead State game on Nov 8th. Dee told me that as good a player Tony was he was an even better person. Tony was at most games at Gampel, he will be missed.

C

Chief00

Wow, very sad. Will take Chief some time to process this. Way too soon. At 6-4 Tony wasn’t a great shot but was a great scorer and rebounder. Sometimes we would clown around in Guyer and Tony would grab the rim and do chin ups, seemingly effortlessly. That truly amazed me. He had a knack for scoring 15 feet and in. Tony could dribble, spin, pump and jump. He was tricky quick and also had really good strength beyond his looks. Most dudes he could beat in one of those ways and he would quickly identify which way he could beat you and then would keep going back to it. A tough match-up and I agree with Dee an even better person.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
This is sad. Hanson was a legend here back in the day. If social media were around he would have been nationally recognized and appreciated. No matter though he was certainly appreciated around here.

RIP tony, but not fair.

Reaction Score
Tony and Joey were my introduction to a lifetime of UConn hoops. RIP Tony, Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire and UConn royalty.

My father had me watching during this time, I was ten or so. Nice times growing up. 63 is too young, RIP Tony Hanson. I remember him playing loose and athletic, a good scorer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom