RIP Tony Hanson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

RIP Tony Hanson

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
OMG, so sad. I grew up in Sin City with him, just a few years behind him. Used to see him hanging out, watched him play at Holy Cross, loved the fact that he was a star at UConn.

RIP Tony

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sorry to hear this. Rest in peace.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I am in shock
Wow he was such a great player but more importantly he was a great human being
Knew him through a friend who lived on the same floor as Tony at UConn
Always had time to talk and would remember folks - name and all
Boy those parties - but that is another story
RIP Tony - a true blue Husky

Reaction Score
I've been a "lurker" on BY for years and I've been too lazy to chime in on anything. But the passing of Tony Hanson is too big to let slide. I was a freshman at UConn his senior year. His final game was sold out long before I could get tickets so we snuck into the game ( it was pretty easy to do in those days) and I remember getting choked up when Dee Rowe took him out near the end. I looked around me and almost everyone else had tears in their eyes. RIP Tony. Am I "misremembering" or does anyone else remember a game at the field house his senior year when he scored 10 consecutive points in a furious comeback. I think the comeback fell short. I can't remember which game it was.

Reaction Score
So sad. If you never saw him play, you missed true magic in a UConn uniform. He, along with teammates Joey Whelton and Jim Abromaitis, brought a special combination of grit and grace to each and every game. He was an utter joy to watch play.

RIP.
Couldn’t have said it any better. He was in a class of his own!! Made you proud to be a Husky fan

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Way too young. A real tragedy. RIP Tony. You will be an all star in heaven.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
His senior year was my freshman year. I met him at a party that year(at the Armory, I think). Very nice guy. Terrific player. Wasn't he part of the legendary comeback vs Hofstra in the '76 NCAAs in Providence? RIP, gone way too soon.

Reaction Score
Great tribute:
Hanson was a special education major at UConn, and routinely stopped to visit children at the Mansfield Training School after UConn games. Helping those with special needs remained a great passion in his life.
“He never considered himself above those young people,” Perno recalled. “He always thought he could help them and would always take time, before games, after games, during games, to talk to them. He just tried to help everybody he could, and that’s why everybody loved him.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom