RIP Stanley Robinson | Page 7 | The Boneyard

RIP Stanley Robinson

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I was getting a beer at the Birmingham Bowl in 2010 and the young woman noticed my UConn gear and told me she liked UConn because "that's where Stanley is." I said, "Stanley Robinson? You know Stanley Robinson?" She nodded, "Tell him thanks for coming to UConn next time you see him!" She smiled and laughed.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Thank you both for sharing your memories of Stanley, and so sorry for your loss. Curious how you both came to know him if you don’t mind sharing? Seems like you both had very deep relationships throughout his time at UConn and beyond - thank you for keeping his memory alive

I met him my junior year at UConn randomly at a mutual friend of ours apartment one night. We just clicked, shared a lot of the same interests and became friends from there. He was no different than any college aged person, just everybody knew who he was. We always stayed in touch with each other through his world travels. A little bit less so the past couple years unfortunately, but not due to a falling out or anything. Our schedules were just more packed with life things.

Reaction Score
Thank you both for sharing your memories of Stanley, and so sorry for your loss. Curious how you both came to know him if you don’t mind sharing? Seems like you both had very deep relationships throughout his time at UConn and beyond - thank you for keeping his memory alive

Met him in summer classes 2006 and hit it off. He pretty lived with me for couple years. I brought/picked him up from practice/ games. Been to his mom's house in the hood of Birmingham. Rosa, his mom, is absolute sweetheart I can't even imagine her pain. Fantastic cook also her fried chicken and okra along with homemade cornbread I'll never forget. Thoughts also go out to his sister April ( he had another sister that I didn't meet), uncle Jeremy (who moved up here when he committed to UConn to keep an eye on him), and his children who he loved dearly. So many memories including when I drove up from Alabama to Connecticut with him prior to his senior year and we got into car accident with tractor trailer on 81 in Virginia. Never forget him saying thank God I'm with you in what was redneck country Virginia lol

I hope Rosa's number is still the same from 10-12 years ago

Reaction Score
Met him in summer classes 2006 and hit it off. He pretty lived with me for couple years. I brought/picked him up from practice/ games. Been to his mom's house in the hood of Birmingham. Rosa, his mom, is absolute sweetheart I can't even imagine her pain. Fantastic cook also her fried chicken and okra along with homemade cornbread I'll never forget. Thoughts also go out to his sister April ( he had another sister that I didn't meet), uncle Jeremy (who moved up here when he committed to UConn to keep an eye on him), and his children who he loved dearly. So many memories including when I drove up from Alabama to Connecticut with him prior to his senior year and we got into car accident with tractor trailer on 81 in Virginia. Never forget him saying thank God I'm with you in what was redneck country Virginia lol

I hope Rosa's number is still the same from 10-12 years ago
I'm so sorry you lost your friend.

He was one of those people you could just tell was a really good person without even knowing him, sounds like you were lucky enough to get to know him and become a really close friend.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Ugh, sad news. Loved watching him play - big hops and a bigger smile. RIP husky.

Reaction Score
Damn what a sad day for Husky Nation! My condolences to his family and friends.

Reaction Score
Was he still in Birmingham? Sucks to know he was looking for work - I could have helped him out in Birmingham for sure. Utterly tragic.
Yes still in Birmingham. Told me he had trouble getting work cause Bama boosters were still salty he went to UConn. They wanted him and Andre Smith at bama since they were mr basketball and football both from Huffman in 2006 if you know what I mean ;)

Reaction Score
RIP Stanley "STICKS" Robinson. If i may, my favorite memory of him was in the 2009 Detroit Final Four when he came from the 3-point line in the final moments of our Michigan State game with a put back dunk while screaming at the tops of his lungs. Although we went on to lose moments like that one will forever stay with me. One of my favorite UConn players. So sad.
I'll never forget how hard he played right until the end, desperately trying to get us back in the game.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Yes still in Birmingham. Told me he had trouble getting work cause Bama boosters were still salty he went to UConn. They wanted him and Andre Smith at bama since they were mr basketball and football both from Huffman in 2006 if you know what I mean ;)
Man that's too bad. I made so many weird connections in bham through the work I did. Could have helped find him something.

Reaction Score
This just sucks... I know we obviously all root for UConn players, but I feel like Sticks was a guy who we all rooted for a bit more than others. He seemed like such a genuine person and a player who just loved playing basketball at UConn. Was driving when I got the notification and had to pull over. Thanks Sticks.

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
RIP sticks! Just horrible news. Thank you for the great memories.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Still can't quite wrap my head around this.

I graduated from UConn last year, but grew up in the area. My best childhood memories include being with friends and family, watching the height of UConn basketball in that mid-late 2000s and into the Kemba year and Shabazz year. So many incredible players to watch during those 2000s years in the Big East. Stanley Robinson is synonymous with my childhood and love for UConn basketball. When I envision someone saying "the old UConn", I truly picture Stanley Robinson and Jeff Adrien flying around the court being physical menaces.

As I get older and move further from college, it's becoming more apparent how fragile and short life is. It's really cliche, but it's too true. The Kobe death too was just a lot to take in. Basketball is one of the few things in life I'm very passionate about, so even as a Celtics fan and how much that 2010 Finals crushed me, the Kobe death was like losing someone close to you.

I just really hope UConn can do things to forever honor him. He was, quite literally, a pillar in UConn basketball. He represented the best part of college sports- which is when a kid has a rough upbringing and goes on to work hard and have success and bring a lot of joy in people's lives.

He almost deserves his own shrine in Gampel. Just so so awful. And seeing the stories about how great of a person he was just hurts that much more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom