RIP Stanley Robinson | Page 6 | The Boneyard

RIP Stanley Robinson

Reaction Score
Absolutely horrible news. Loved watching Sticks. Such exuberance when playing the game. Forever a Husky. RIP. Sincere condolences to all his family and friends.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I remember an announcer saying Stanley should wear a helmet when he played because he was going to bang his head on the rim or the backboard. I remember being in awe of his ability to get up. It was also good to see him take a step back from the team, organize his life, and get back on track. Handling adversity like that is hard for anyone, let alone a college kid far from home. We were all seriously happy for him and rooting for him.

Reaction Score
Very very few players are among the favorites of every fan. Stanley was one of those few. RIP Sticks

Reaction Score
OMG terrible, Stanley Robinson will always be synonymous with UConn basketball one of the first names you think of when it comes to Jim Calhoun players. Seemed like a hard working and great guy. RIP Sticks.

Reaction Score
ugh, heartbreaking. I can't imagine the toll it takes on the players whose careers don't pan out. Can't help but feel like we often overlook how brutal the sports industry is to a majority of players.

I don't know about this. If you're a professional athlete then it means your career did pan out. Not everyone is going to rise as far up the ladder as they'd like, but that can be said of any field.

I won't comment on Stanley's situation specifically without knowing more, but generally speaking the athletes who struggle with mental health are going to struggle with mental health no matter what they do. The opposite is also typically true. Typically, when athletic success has saved, or at least temporarily re-directed the life of someone battling a mental illness, it is because that sport filled a void that might otherwise get them into trouble.

My guess would be that basketball helped Stanley a lot. It's the finality of graduation, retirements, etc. that tend to cause more issues - and that happens at some point for everyone.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Similar to methodology mentioned whenever we chatted the first thing he always asked was "how's the family? Kid good?" Truly cared about knowing we were all doing well. We would chat a couple times a year quickly for birthdays and such. Joked with me last time we talked my life would be different with a daughter, but luckily I had a son to watch out for her.

Many fond memories of crashing on his couch, or him on mine. He will be missed.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Whenever I think of Stanley Robinson, I always go to the story of him working at the scrap metal yard in Willimantic to prove to Calhoun that he had the toughness to be on the team. That showed his character and willing to work hard.

He was an amazing player and one who will always be remembered fondly. RIP Sticks. May you jump your way all the way up and over the man upstairs.

Reaction Score
So sad, no words. Just watched some highlights of Sticks last week and was again impressed with his athleticism. The guy just never caught the break he really needed. R.I.P. big guy. You will never be forgotten .

Reaction Score
What a huge, huge loss. Sticks was at UConn when I was a sports writer covering the team. He was a terrific kid. One of my favorites. I can’t even wrap my head around this. This is really tough. My thoughts are with his family and loved ones.

Reaction Score
Damn....this isn’t right. Such a unique person and a wonderful player who is fondly remembered by all Husky fans. I feel for his family and loved ones.

Since I’ve followed UCONN since 1989, his ally-oop early in the game against #1 Texas at Gample was the most exciting dunk I’ve ever seen.

RIP Stanley. You will be missed.

Reaction Score
Unreal. RIP sticks. Like I said maybe times before - can we just throw this year in the trash already? Scary thing is , we re only halfway thru. Worst year ever.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom