RIP Queen of Soul | Page 2 | The Boneyard

RIP Queen of Soul

Reaction Score
I believe you just answered your question via the bolded part above. Music would have gone somewhere else that wasn't rock n roll as we know it.

Maybe without the competition, Texas Swing would've taken over.

Yeah it's really not arguable, rock n roll didn't just spontaneously happen.

It's not even some like an ancient myth that is impossible to prove, we can go back and listen to the music, read articles from the time etc and track pretty closely how rock came to be.

Reaction Score
Music would have gone somewhere else that wasn't rock n roll as we know it.
Sure, and if Columbus had sailed further south Music would have gone somewhere else, as well.
Point is, it's facile and a bit lazy to say "rock would not exist without blues."
You don't know that.
Return to tonic is hardwired as appealing. The progression used in Don't Stop Believing may be hardwired as appealing as well.

Reaction Score
It's not even some like an ancient myth that is impossible to prove, we can go back and listen to the music, read articles from the time etc and track pretty closely how rock came to be.
You're completely missing my point.
I'm not disputing "how rock came to be."
I'm pointing out that rock could have developed through an alternative route. It's unknowable.
Like pyramids in Egypt and in Meso America.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Sure, and if Columbus had sailed further south Music would have gone somewhere else, as well.
Point is, it's facile and a bit lazy to say "rock would not exist without blues."
You don't know that.
Return to tonic is hardwired as appealing. The progression used in Don't Stop Believing may be hardwired as appealing as well.

It's a silly argument, but I'll just lay this down - without blues, there's no Elvis, Fats Domino, Cliff Richard... and without them no Beatles, no Stones, no Clapton/Mayall/Beck/Hendrix etc. etc. etc. And OMG NO GRATEFUL DEAD!!!!1!!

In short, without blues music at that specific time to bridge the black vs white canyon maybe the whole cultural upheaval of the sixties doesn't happen. Dylan didn't bring it all on by his lonesome. Imagine how dull things would've been if the music industry was based on folk... yuck.

So one could argue the impact of blues > just music charts.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'm pointing out that rock could have developed through an alternative route. It's unknowable.
Like how with enough monkeys and enough typewriters, we'd get Shakespeare?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
There's an arched eyebrow GIF that someone from another era can insert here. I promise I'll Like it.

Not what you were specifically asking for, but in light of post #32...

tumblr_mhotpb9TDk1rmtmp0o1_400.gif

Reaction Score

I get the abstract point you're trying to make but music doesn't work the same way as feats of engineering which are following natural rules of math and physics.

Music comes out of the specific creative minds of specific people.

No other individuals would have organically written "Please Please Me"

Reaction Score
I get the abstract point you're trying to make but music doesn't work the same way as feats of engineering which are following natural rules of math and physics.

Music comes out of the specific creative minds of specific people.

No other individuals would have organically written "Please Please Me"

In the words of Bruce at the Spectrum on December 9th, 1980 "If it wasn't for John Lennon, we'd all be someplace very different tonight"

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Clearly, the most memorable and my favorite song on the radio when we went on a family vacation to Florida in March 1968. It cut through the background every time.

My favorite aunt died yesterday at 91. If it works out that she and Lady Soul cross paths, perhaps on the bus to the "Defending Your Life" thing, so much the better.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, we're at a point in time where we will be regularly saying goodbye to the musical titans of the 60s and 70s. 20 years from now, most of them will be gone.

Saddest post ever on The Boneyard.

Reaction Score

Clearly, the most memorable and my favorite song on the radio when we went on a family vacation to Florida in March 1968. It cut through the background every time.

My favorite aunt died yesterday at 91. If it works out that she and Lady Soul cross paths, perhaps on the bus to the "Defending Your Life" thing, so much the better.

Today's youth may not realize this but songs were less than 3 minutes long back then, and there were no voice enhancements done in the studio. You either could sing or you couldn't. 'Street/Porch Corner' harmony was real, and those who couldn't sing could only listen, but never join in. People would be practicing everywhere including the high school bathrooms. You had to have talent, and Aretha (no high school diploma, mother at 12, then again at 15, and all her other misfortunes) had 'it'. So much so she sang in front of the Pope, Presidents, Stadiums, etc..), not to mention the Grammy's and many of her other 'firsts'. She will never be duplicated in our lifetime. A Pure Natural Singer.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Can you imagine growing up in Detroit at that time? Her childhood buddy Smokey Robinson. Around the corner the Temptations, the Four Tops, that little upstart, Stevie Wonder and more.
What a neighborhood!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom