RIP J. Geils | The Boneyard

RIP J. Geils

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I can see him at the Pearly Gates screamin' "Open up the door bitch!!! This wooba gooba with the green teeth, let me in!!!!"

Early 80s they toured with the Kinks. Came to New Haven. I didn't go. :(

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was Peter Wolf who uttered those famous words...but I'm sure Geils and his guitar can join that amazing rock band up there...

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Freeze Frame excepted (I still cannot resolve J Geils making that album) they were one of the great bands ever (although far too many don't know of them).

May he rest in peace.

Reaction Score
It was Peter Wolf who uttered those famous words...but I'm sure Geils and his guitar can join that amazing rock band up there...

Don't let the facts muddy up another unfunny Dove post.

Reaction Score
Maybe the most under rated rock band of all. They had some great hits. RIP J.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My wife saw them many, many times, but I saw them for the first time two summers ago at my favorite venue (BlueHills Bank Pavillion, formerly Harbor Lights). Tremendous show. Giels was still in great form and Peter Wolf seemed ageless and full of energy. RIP to a great rocker.

Reaction Score
I remember their Bloodshot album was bright red
He was a freshman at WPI when my best friend was going there in the early 70's
He only lasted one year , flunked out
Spent all his time playing guitar

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I have no idea who had a car to drive just 3 weeks into freshman year, but we traveled to Buffalo's War Memorial Stadium in October '71 to see J Geils Band along with Paul Butterfield, Boz Scaggs , Blues Project, Taj Mahal, and Sha Na Na. JGB was the only artist none of us had ever heard of, and they were consensus favorites.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I know it was Peter Wolf. Thanks for trying to make me look like a freakin' fool, pal!

Work with me for once, huh? Just once.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Before they went top 40, tickets were $2 or $3 for their show at the long lost and lamented Shaboo Inn, back when "Ain't Nothin' But a House Party", was the song that brought the house down.

Great live act.

Reaction Score
RIP J ... great memories cruising with the t-tops off on the CT shoreline listening to "Full House Live". My favorite of the 8 track:

Reaction Score
I can see him at the Pearly Gates screamin' "Open up the door bitch!!! This wooba gooba with the green teeth, let me in!!!!"

Early 80s they toured with the Kinks. Came to New Haven. I didn't go. :(

I went! Had a blast, though the memory of it is a little fogged (thanks to my old friend Windowpane)... I musta, yeah you know I mustaaaah.... I Musta Got Lost!!!!

Reaction Score
I remember their Bloodshot album was bright red
He was a freshman at WPI when my best friend was going there in the early 70's
He only lasted one year , flunked out
Spent all his time playing guitar

worked out pretty for him, eh? :)

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Saw them at Fairfield U back in the day.

Reaction Score
Knew him, and the other Boston bands in the '60-70s, well. Fantastic guy.

I'm sure you know that MD was from NL, CT

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Saw the band a couple of times in the early 1970's....tremendous energy....I especially liked the occasional sound of James Brown in their songs.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Saw them in Hartford, New Haven, Springfield, Boston and in VT in the early 70's
Just one jammin' band
Full House Live remains to this day one of my favorite albums
Ah - driving the 1971 Dodge Dart, 8 track of Full House Live, a cooler of Schlitz Draught and a baggie - memories!!!!!

Reaction Score
There was a thread a few weeks back about great front men and shame on me, I didn't nominate Peter Wolf. Those 70s shows were amazing and then suddenly in the early 80s, Seth Justmann found out he could write top 40 hits. I would have to say I saw them a dozen times and the smaller the venue the better (duh). SUNY Binghamton, The old Ritz in NYC and so on. They even held their own on The Stones' 1981 tour where I saw them between George Thorogood and the Stones. ( damn rockin' line up).

John (Jerome) Geils was a generous band leader, letting Peter and then Seth take star turns. Magic Dick? Richard Salwitz. The bad boys from Boston were mostly New Yawkers by birth. They were high school party favorites for me when 18 was legal in CT and 16 (mostly) got you in the door. RIP J. Geils.

Reaction Score
Freeze Frame excepted (I still cannot resolve J Geils making that album) they were one of the great bands ever (although far too many don't know of them).

May he rest in peace.

Cant believe they would make an album that was a big part of the mainstay of mid 80's music and dwarfed the rest of their efforts combined? I bet they all disagree w you

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Cant believe they would make an album that was a big part of the mainstay of mid 80's music and dwarfed the rest of their efforts combined? I bet they all disagree w you
In all candor I cannot. They were a great rock band that a strong R&B character (throughout the 1970's). That album was basically bubble gum pop. Listen to Blow Your Face Out (preferably in a party setting) and then try to visualize that band performing Centerfold, etc. It would be like Eric Burdon and the Animals performing Andy Gibb.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
In all candor I cannot. They were a great rock band that a strong R&B character (throughout the 1970's). That album was basically bubble gum pop. Listen to Blow Your Face Out (preferably in a party setting) and then try to visualize that band performing Centerfold, etc. It would be like Eric Burdon and the Animals performing Andy Gibb.
I strongly disagree. I love J. Geils and that album--and especially "Centerfold"--was what hooked me. The Freeze Frame tour was my first official concert and they were incredible live. Lots of non-pop tracks on that album and I still know every one by heart, like "Piss on the Wall" and "Rage in the Cage." But I also love "Angel in Blue" and the title track, too. Great, varied album imo.

And of course, that lead me to explore their entire back catalogue and love all that even more. Full House and Blow Your Face Out remain in regular rotation for me; one or the other, sometimes both, were guaranteed to be played at every party we had.

I still love "Centerfold," too, and now my middle daughter (the one who has inherited my taste in music, and an increasing amount of my vinyl collection) is cruising through their back catalogue after getting hooked by that tune as well. We're going to see Peter Wolf live later this month. His latest release was one of my favorite albums of 2016 and he still gets it done live. Great front man.

If you want to pick an annoying, overexposed pop tune from them, I'd say "Love Stinks" is far, far more tiring and much less interesting musically and lyrically. Although the live Americana/bluegrass remake of it Wolf
put on his latest album is an improvement.

But neither of them approaches the legacy-changing abomination of something like Jefferson Airplane becoming Jefferson Starship and putting out dreck like "We Built This City," which should have been banned for the aural harm it caused.

Reaction Score
I strongly disagree. I love J. Geils and that album--and especially "Centerfold"--was what hooked me. The Freeze Frame tour was my first official concert and they were incredible live. Lots of non-pop tracks on that album and I still know every one by heart, like "Piss on the Wall" and "Rage in the Cage." But I also love "Angel in Blue" and the title track, too. Great, varied album imo.

And of course, that lead me to explore their entire back catalogue and love all that even more. Full House and Blow Your Face Out remain in regular rotation for me; one or the other, sometimes both, were guaranteed to be played at every party we had.

I still love "Centerfold," too, and now my middle daughter (the one who has inherited my taste in music, and an increasing amount of my vinyl collection) is cruising through their back catalogue after getting hooked by that tune as well. We're going to see Peter Wolf live later this month. His latest release was one of my favorite albums of 2016 and he still gets it done live. Great front man.

If you want to pick an annoying, overexposed pop tune from them, I'd say "Love Stinks" is far, far more tiring and much less interesting musically and lyrically. Although the live Americana/bluegrass remake of it Wolf
put on his latest album is an improvement.

But neither of them approaches the legacy-changing abomination of something like Jefferson Airplane becoming Jefferson Starship and putting out dreck like "We Built This City," which should have been banned for the aural harm it caused.

Thanks for mentioning Rage In The Cage, a favorite I have not heard in years. Saw them live once in New Haven and always liked them a lot, especially tunes like Sanctuary, and Ain't Nothing But A House Party.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Shuffled through my J. Geils collection on my iPod on my drive in this morning. The cowbell and drums in "Ain't Nothing But A House Party" are classic. "Give It To Me" may be their best jam, period. It doesn't get funkier than the last half of that song. "I Do" was another one I had forgotten about. Great, infectious tune.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom