RIP Diego Maradona | The Boneyard

RIP Diego Maradona

Reaction Score
I know there is a (scarcely used) soccer board, but this is worthy of the main board. Arguably the greatest player of all time gone far too soon. Lived a crazy life and probably didn’t do himself any favors towards the end, but a very sad day nonetheless.

Reaction Score
Fantastic player but so much potential wasted on booze and coke. 1986 World Cup performance was something special. HBO had a good documentary on him.

Reaction Score
RIP, great great player of the beautiful game, gone too soon.

Reaction Score
Great player, didn't seem like a good guy.

He wasn't a bad guy--just had substance abuse problems. But he was beloved by teammates and in Napoli, and obviously Argentina

Reaction Score
Yup. RIP. and the hits just keep on coming - big ravens - Steelers game canceled for tomorrow night the one small thing to look forward to tmrw night on this relentless string of bad news. I might do a keg stand for the first time in many years on New Year’s Eve to be bid this year goodbye LOL. Every day is another blow

Reaction Score
Not a huge soccer fan but always knew the great ones and respected how damn amazing they were. No doubt near the top in the futbol world.

RIP

Reaction Score
Don't follow fútbol nearly as much as I used to but looked up a list of the greatest players of all-time and SI ranked the top 50 just a year ago. I was surprised to see Maradona #1 over Pelé but even more surprising was Cristiano Ronaldo at #15. RIP Maradona.

Reaction Score
If you ever wanted to know what soccer means to Argentina:

The office of Argentina’s president said it will declare three days of national mourning, and the Argentine soccer association expressed its sorrow on Twitter.

Reaction Score
If you ever wanted to know what soccer means to Argentina:

The office of Argentina’s president said it will declare three days of national mourning, and the Argentine soccer association expressed its sorrow on Twitter.
Not just Argentina. Naples too! The man sure had his demons but watching him play on the pitch was a thing of beauty. He was 60 years old. In the same breath, I feel he was much older and much younger. Go figure.

Reaction Score
Don't follow fútbol nearly as much as I used to but looked up a list of the greatest players of all-time and SI ranked the top 50 just a year ago. I was surprised to see Maradona #1 over Pelé but even more surprising was Cristiano Ronaldo at #15. RIP Maradona.
SI is a joke now (re: Ronaldo)
But not to be off topic...RIP diego

Reaction Score
He wasn't a bad guy--just had substance abuse problems. But he was beloved by teammates and in Napoli, and obviously Argentina
I pegged you as a Sampdoria guy.

Reaction Score
Not just Argentina. Naples too! The man sure had his demons but watching him play on the pitch was a thing of beauty. He was 60 years old. In the same breath, I feel he was much older and much younger. Go figure.

They just changed the name of the San Paolo to the Maradona.

I am seriously not joking.

They did. The mayor is on board, and probably the Pope as well.

Reaction Score
Maradona has a move named after him which I taught my son when he was playing premier ball in his teens.

Reaction Score
Diego quote from a 2014 interview " I am 53 going on 78 because my life hasn't been normal. I've lived 80 with the life I've gone through."

Great video. The song is continuous while the video is edited so it would have been nice to see the unedited video. It's odd, for such a legend, he only touches the ball with his right foot a few times.

Maradona's warm up[edit]
On 19 April 1989, during the warming up in Munich before the UEFA Cup semi-final return between FC Bayern Munich and S.S.C. Napoli, Diego Maradona did a keepie uppie exhibition, to the rhythm of the song, while the song was heard on the stadium's loudspeakers. This has become a classic among football fans.

Some confusion persists by those who dispute that it took place in Munich. Among others, Jürgen Klinsmann claimed that it happened during the final in Stuttgart:

There were 70,000 people in the stadium and Maradona went on the field. We’re on the other side of the field, warming up like Germans: seriously, focused. There's music playing, the song "Live is Life", and to the rhythm of the song Maradona started juggling the ball. So we stopped our warm-up. What's this guy doing? He's juggling off his shoulders. And we couldn't warm up anymore because we had to watch this guy.[4]
Belgian sports anchor Frank Raes, who edited the video and distributed it via YouTube, always asserted that this warm up took place just before the semifinal in Munich. According to Raes, this can easily be verified by visual cues in the clip, such as the advertisements around the pitch, for example the numerous Commodore boards which were one of Bayern's main sponsors at the time.[citation needed]

By 2013, Frank Raes' Maradona video clip had garnered almost two million views on YouTube.[4] The 25th anniversary of Maradona's warming up was noted internationally, with newspapers commenting on his skills and on the transformative effect he had on Napoli and southern Italy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom