RIP Bill Buckner | The Boneyard

RIP Bill Buckner

Reaction Score
I have an autographed ball with him and Mookie Wilson. This one saddens me especially as I knew of his condition. My wife is currently battling(and losing to, like everyone)dementia. It use the real Grind, I can assure you. And that statement is not meant to mock anyone. Rest Easy Bill.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yeah, guy had a great career and is remembered most for that one play. Glad he eventually got to go to Fenway and get a standing O of appreciation. Lewy body dementia is tough. Don't wish that wasting disease on anyone. That's what Frampton has and why he's doing a farewell tour - not sure he'll be able to play by next year. Already falling down repeatedly.

Reaction Score
Yeah, guy had a great career and is remembered most for that one play. Glad he eventually got to go to Fenway and get a standing O of appreciation. Lewy body dementia is tough. Don't wish that wasting disease on anyone. That's what Frampton has and why he's doing a farewell tour - not sure he'll be able to play by next year. Already falling down repeatedly.
My Pop-pop had Lewy body. He was bedridden for a decade, it was horrendous.

Hated the forgive Buckner thing at Fenway just like I hated how the Cubs tried to do the same thing for Bartman after they won it all, glad Bartman turned it down.

Reaction Score

Man that really sucks. I hope he and his family didn't have to suffer through that for too long.

Reaction Score
He was treated like garbage and never needed to be forgiven after they finally got their world series.
Yeah I always felt like the Sox organization using the whole forgiveness thing was kind of disingenuous but he was the bigger man and made it known he didn't have to actually forgive the city for anything but did it for his family and to clear the air completely.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My Pop-pop had Lewy body. He was bedridden for a decade, it was horrendous.

Hated the forgive Buckner thing at Fenway just like I hated how the Cubs tried to do the same thing for Bartman after they won it all, glad Bartman turned it down.
It's a tricky task on how to do the whole we forgive you in public. Usually you have to not only say sorry for the one thing the person is infamously known for and also acknowledge the good work they did while there. Easier to do for Buckner since he contributed to the Sox. Harder to do for a fan who only is known for one act.

Reaction Score
It's a tricky task on how to do the whole we forgive you in public. Usually you have to not only say sorry for the one thing the person is infamously known for and also acknowledge the good work they did while there. Easier to do for Buckner since he contributed to the Sox. Harder to do for a fan who only is known for one act.
They have nothing to be forgiven for. The only forgiveness should be from the Red Sox and Cubs.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wow. Feel bad for how much I disliked him after the whole "my bat got us there" comment.

Reaction Score
They have nothing to be forgiven for. The only forgiveness should be from the Red Sox and Cubs.

The Buckner error encapsulated 70 years of misery. If you were in Boston, or knew Bostonians, you would understand what it meant.

For Bostonians, that was an incredibly traumatic moment. I remember seeing James O'Donnell (Boston's folksy historian, who was with Hitler in his bunker in WW2) talking about the 20th century in Boston and everything that had happened, the Great Molasses Flood that killed scores, the Coconut Grove Club fire that killed around 500 people, the Brinks car robbery, the Boston Strangler, the school busing riots, etc., and this guy who sat with Hitler in his bunker listed Buckner's bad wickets as the biggest tragedy of all.

Reaction Score
Even IF Buckner fielded the ground ball...good ole Bob Stanley may have been late to cover first (he was slow) or dropped the toss from Buckner. Stanley then could have thrown another wild pitch. I never trusted Stanley to know his own name under pressure.

Reaction Score
Ted Turner has Lewy body dementia. Actor Robin Williams was diagnosed with the disease posthumously.

The US government has spent $6 trillion on the War on Terror. I, for one, am less terrorized by the prospect that a jihadist will blow up my plane, than I am about receiving a news that I, or a relative, or a friend, has Lewy body dementia or Alzheimers, or ALS, or cancer. Or that a child was diagnosed with autism. Those are terror-inducing life events that could benefit from a chunk of that $6 trillion.

Enough of that. Rest in Peace, Bill Buckner.

Reaction Score

Peter Frampton does not have Lewy body dementia. He has been diagnosed with Inclusion Body Myositis which affects the muscles but does not affect the brain or lungs. He expects to be playing the guitar for quite some time but not at the level he holds himself to be able to play in a concert setting. Unfortunately this is a condition with no known cure.

Reaction Score
Bob Stanley blew that game and poor Buckner was the ultimate scapegoat. The guy almost had 3,000 hits and is remembered for an error in a tie game. Sucks
Yeah for him 'RIP.' is not a cliche.

Reaction Score
The Buckner error encapsulated 70 years of misery. If you were in Boston, or knew Bostonians, you would understand what it meant.

For Bostonians, that was an incredibly traumatic moment. I remember seeing James O'Donnell (Boston's folksy historian, who was with Hitler in his bunker in WW2) talking about the 20th century in Boston and everything that had happened, the Great Molasses Flood that killed scores, the Coconut Grove Club fire that killed around 500 people, the Brinks car robbery, the Boston Strangler, the school busing riots, etc., and this guy who sat with Hitler in his bunker listed Buckner's bad wickets as the biggest tragedy of all.
What an idiotic thing for that guy to say, it's this type of cr@p that made Buckner and his family go through hell.

In fairness to the Red Sox I read they did invite him back for an '86 team reunion but Buckner declined. The damage had already been done by the media and fans.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

He's a moron.

Reaction Score
I find it hypocritical that, now after four titles, Sox fans feel bad that he was treated poorly and is being remembered for that one play.

Maybe they shouldn’t have been such a bunch of jack holes to the guy for decades in the first place.

Reaction Score
Ted Turner has Lewy body dementia. Actor Robin Williams was diagnosed with the disease posthumously.

The US government has spent $6 trillion on the War on Terror. I, for one, am less terrorized by the prospect that a jihadist will blow up my plane, than I am about receiving a news that I, or a relative, or a friend, has Lewy body dementia or Alzheimers, or ALS, or cancer. Or that a child was diagnosed with autism. Those are terror-inducing life events that could benefit from a chunk of that $6 trillion.

Enough of that. Rest in Peace, Bill Buckner.
My wife's is Frontaltemporal. In 2 1/2 years since diagnosis she is already well into stage 7 of 7. When diagnosed she was given up to 10 years. Last May less than 2. Really progressed rapidly.

Reaction Score
and this guy who sat with Hitler in his bunker listed Buckner's bad wickets as the biggest tragedy of all.
That is absolutely insane.

Any way, glad the guy got to live long enough to see a few championships. I wonder if he felt any vindication after Boston's first 'ship. Thing is, there are so many errors that lead to losses in championship games, that one was just magnified to the extreme which was unfair. I liked him on Curb your enthusiasm too, anyone catch that episode?

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Reaction Score

Rovell proving again he's the worst

Amazing he could take someone's death and make it all about himself. Even more amazing someone who has clearly never played a sport in his entire life can make a career out of talking about sports...
Watch "Hot Sauce Clowns ESPN's Darren Rovell During Timeout Challenge" on YouTube

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom