RIP, Alex | Page 3 | The Boneyard

RIP, Alex

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Such sad news. Prayers for Alex to rest in peace, and also for his family, who will miss him terribly.

Reaction Score
Brutal disease; 5% of those diagnosed survive past 5 years. I am one of the lucky ones. 18 years clean.

I learned a lot from Alex's posts. I was trying to compile a Top 10 but realized I don't have the deep Boneyardian knowledge to do it.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Very sad news indeed. Always enjoyed Alex's unique and positive insights. R.I.P. Boneyarder.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
I really enjoyedAlex's posts and looked forward to them, like others on the Boneyard. Prayers for comfort and strength go out to his family and loved ones.

Reaction Score
I'm so very, very sorry. is there some way to acknowledge his life and his family?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Brutal disease; 5% of those diagnosed survive past 5 years. I am one of the lucky ones. 18 years clean.

I learned a lot from Alex's posts. I was trying to compile a Top 10 but realized I don't have the deep Boneyardian knowledge to do it.
Congrats to you! Keep it up! I looked up the disease after Alex told me and saw an average survival of 18-24 months, which depressed the hell out of me. I hope that the docs can make progress based on the experimental drugs that he took, so others will be able to survive.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So sorry to hear this. Alex always had a logical reasoning to his posts even in the craziest of situations. I will miss reading his posts. Prayers for his family. RIP Alex!
Alex's reasoning, writing, and typing deteriorated a little over the past year, and it annoyed him badly. But I thought, considering his health and medical regimen, he did a stellar job. In fact, I think, for a soft-spoken guy, he was quite the Badass.

Reaction Score
Too young. I knew he had cancer but thought--hoped?--he was winning.

As someone who was diagnosed with what took Alex--and 18 years clean--I can say there is no "winning." There is only enduring, doing whatever you can do each day--diet, exercise, fulfilling work, good people around you--to keep going.

In a way, not so different from what Geno says about the importance of good execution in a game over winning. Execute and chances are, good things happen.

dannykuconn

Cheerman of Board
Reaction Score
I passed this thread on to his wife Jennifer and sharing her response now. I wrote. "So sad to hear this news and wanted to share a post from the boneyard (UConn Message Board) dedicated to Alex. Alex was a huge part of it and will be missed. Please contact me if you need anything or if you want me to reply on your behalf. Danny." Jennifer replied "Thank you, Danny. I read through the comments and I will read them to the kids later on. That man had the patience to teach me about football, and from the first moment I mentioned watching the UCONN women's games and the championships he was hooked. He watched every game he could when we lived in Atlanta, and once we moved up here it was constant. He knew all the stats, prospects, the whys and hows of every win and loss, and could talk about it for hours. I think in the past few years uconn women's basketball had become his favorite sport.
He was able to watch the superbowl, and the 100th. He was very proud of those girls and he was practically giddy that because of his seats he had gotten a smile from one of the girls as she left the court after conratulating her on a game well played.
He loved the boneyard crew and spent many hours on the site. Please relay to all on behalf of myself and the kids our gratitude for being there for Alex, for making him feel welcome, and for being some of the greatest friendships he had in the state. ...and if i do say myself, he was pretty darn smart for a 38 year old, especially with historical stats!
z1599395_10203181563005698_2122687540_o.jpg
zzz16864454_10212152637356950_7224822381526067499_n.jpg

Reaction Score
I passed this thread on to his wife Jennifer and sharing her response now. I wrote. "So sad to hear this news and wanted to share a post from the boneyard (UConn Message Board) dedicated to Alex. Alex was a huge part of it and will be missed. Please contact me if you need anything or if you want me to reply on your behalf. Danny." Jennifer replied "Thank you, Danny. I read through the comments and I will read them to the kids later on. That man had the patience to teach me about football, and from the first moment I mentioned watching the UCONN women's games and the championships he was hooked. He watched every game he could when we lived in Atlanta, and once we moved up here it was constant. He knew all the stats, prospects, the whys and hows of every win and loss, and could talk about it for hours. I think in the past few years uconn women's basketball had become his favorite sport.
He was able to watch the superbowl, and the 100th. He was very proud of those girls and he was practically giddy that because of his seats he had gotten a smile from one of the girls as she left the court after conratulating her on a game well played.
He loved the boneyard crew and spent many hours on the site. Please relay to all on behalf of myself and the kids our gratitude for being there for Alex, for making him feel welcome, and for being some of the greatest friendships he had in the state. ...and if i do say myself, he was pretty darn smart for a 38 year old, especially with historical stats! View attachment 20007 View attachment 20008
Thanks Danny. Glad Alex got to see the SC "#100" game!

Reaction Score
I echo the sentiments already expressed. Loved the avatar. Wish I engaged more. Some of us, maybe all of never leave without having something that we've done carrying on some way or other.

I found the obit [here]. I assume it's ok to post the link.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I miss him already. He was one of my favorite posters, and he went to UT so we chatted about Texas a lot through IM. He was so nice and he's my husband's age (and our kids are about the same ages as his) so this really hit me hard the other day. It's so tragic.

Reaction Score
This hits hard, even though one could see it coming via some of his posts.

I took special note of Alex years ago as one of the most intelligent Boneyarders. Met him only once, when he seemed sort of quiet and unassuming.

Just a surmise based on his BY activity, but I like to think (and do believe) his love of the UConn women helped him endure the awful reality stalking his final years.

RIP Alex. Your many Boneyard friends appreciated the gift of your company.
You have hit it. Even as attending games became more and more difficult, and he needed help from me or his father to manage it, he came away buoyed and energized from the effort. His posts revealed how much he relished his brief courtside interactions with coach and players, and he frequently mentioned how much he enjoyed his interactions here.

Reaction Score
I'm so very, very sorry. is there some way to acknowledge his life and his family?
There will be a memorial gathering at noon, April 23rd, in Wethersfield, and we'll post more details after dannykuconn confirms what's allowed. If you were thinking of some kind of memorial contribution, that hasn't yet been on our radar; I'll ask his father.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom