Ricky Moore news | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ricky Moore news

Reaction Score
Never understood why NBA team did not add Ricky. He was the only one I ever saw that could guard Iverson. They should
have kept him for those special moments.

Reaction Score
His 1996 NCAA Tournament injury was one of the big reasons UConn was denied its first Final Four when it lost to Mississippi State in the Regional Finals.

Yup pretty much the reason as both their guards went off for more impact than normal. Add to that Sheffer was playing on one leg with a bad hammy or groin not a great Husky day!

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Lyman’s job on Barros 2nd half was simply the best one half of defense in UConn history. He should be Top 5 but didn’t have the minutes most others did. Henefeld could very well be there even with just one year, it was a special year.
The equally impressive follow up to this was the first BC game next season.

Held Barros scoreless that half as well.

So, he managed to hold Barros scoreless for two consecutive (or at least "back-to-back") halves.

And one must never overlook the job he did shutting down Shaq.

Reaction Score
Up to the 99 championship game, I do remember some thorns thrown his way on the Boneyard.

His nickname was "Rickety" because of all his injuries.

That being said, he was always one of my favorite players buoyed by his 13 first half points in the 99 title game. and his epic defense of Trajan forcing a travel at the end of the game.

Reaction Score
After Coach K said, "Take him, Trajan," right?
Have told this story before on the BY.. Happened during the Ollie years.. Total circumstance.. Am at a bar in Manchester --close to my office-- A guy walks into the bar (Happy Hour) wearing UConn gear and sits down next to me.. Pretty chill dude.. Looks like Ricky.. Ask the obvious question.. Are you Ricky?? Yeah he is..

We BS about stuff..Talk about his teammates/JC.. A lot of laughs.. Then I ask about Trajan/Duke game.. He begged Calhoun in the huddle to let him go man to man on TL in that last possession.. Thought he could shut him down.. The rest is history.. Bought him a beer.

Cool guy.. Could not have been more modest/humble.. Hope only good things happen to him in BB..Will be an awesome coach..

Reaction Score
Lyman’s job on Barros 2nd half was simply the best one half of defense in UConn history. He should be Top 5 but didn’t have the minutes most others did. Henefeld could very well be there even with just one year, it was a special year.
Did not see this before I posted. Clearly we are in the minority of old timers here….

Reaction Score
Have told this story before on the BY.. Happened during the Ollie years.. Total circumstance.. Am at a bar in Manchester --close to my office-- A guy walks into the bar (Happy Hour) wearing UConn gear and sits down next to me.. Pretty chill dude.. Looks like Ricky.. Ask the obvious question.. Are you Ricky?? Yeah he is..

We BS about stuff..Talk about his teammates/JC.. A lot of laughs.. Then I ask about Trajan/Duke game.. He begged Calhoun in the huddle to let him go man to man on TL in that last possession.. Thought he could shut him down.. The rest is history.. Bought him a beer.

Cool guy.. Could not have been more modest/humble.. Hope only good things happen to him in BB..Will be an awesome coach..

Bar in Manchester, maybe the one out by the shopping center where Marshall’s is now end far end of the parking lot? Was Boston Pizza or something like that around then?

Reaction Score
IMG_1623.png

Reaction Score
Lyman was tough as he grew up in Detroit. I believe that his father was shot and killed when Lyman was a youngster. I remember hearing about it when I drove to the Silverdome for the NCAAs and Lyman's last game.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
JC was quoted as saying hat his gameplan was all about taking the ball to the rim, and no one was doing it. Then Ricky took it upon himself to right the ship. Love Rip, but IMHO, Ricky was the MVP of that game.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yup pretty much the reason as both their guards went off for more impact than normal. Add to that Sheffer was playing on one leg with a bad hammy or groin not a great Husky day!
Nah. That team didn't have an Alpha dog.

Reaction Score
Nah. That team didn't have an Alpha dog.
Part of it agree. But Miss St wasn't better and that was winnable with Ricky guarding either Wilson or Bullard, they had it too easy. But as far as the 95-96 team goes, not sure they were going much further than this one anyway.

Reaction Score
Part of it agree. But Miss St wasn't better and that was winnable with Ricky guarding either Wilson or Bullard, they had it too easy. But as far as the 95-96 team goes, not sure they were going much further than this one anyway.
Ricky would've helped speed up the pace of that game in addition to locking up either Wilson or Bullard. That 1996 team couldn't play a half court game all that well and that's what Miss St did, they slowed the pace of that game down

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom