Rick Issanza (C, 7'1", 225) | The Boneyard

Rick Issanza (C, 7'1", 225)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
BasketballRecruiting.Rivals.com - Twitter Tuesday: UNC, UConn, Matthew Hurt and more
Where the Huskies’ current focus remains in the frontcourt as they have kept a pulse on Tre Mitchell who will likely commit this spring, though his recruitment remains murky. Achiuwa would be their dream situation as the Huskies sit among the favorites for him. They have also shown interest in fellow center Ricky Issanza, but if they do miss out on all three, expect for the Huskies to be active looking for transfers. The junior college route could also be an avenue that they go down, too, as Khadim Sy or Emmanuel Ugboh could be someone that would address some of their frontcourt needs.

Reaction Score
From December: BasketballRecruiting.Rivals.com - Tarkanian Classic: Sadraque Nganga emerges, Bossi's notes
.... An intriguing big man option in 2019 is Rick Assanza. A legit seven-foooter who is quick off his feet, has a solid upper body and plays with some fire, he's a piece that makes a few plays a game that make you shake your head and wonder how much potential he might have. Offensively he's still working, but the Phoenix (Ariz.) Hillcrest senior has only been playing for three years and there is a lot of raw talent to work with. He's been offered by Baylor, Texas Tech and TCU with Oregon, LSU, VCU, Arizona and Arizona State among those showing interest.

Reaction Score
Ooof. No. Has the same Bambi-on-ice physicality Amida did without the length, and "only been playing for 3 years" scares me.

I don't know--you can't teach 7'1"

My concerns would be his willingness to mix it up down there, and be physical, and his hands (which you can see in the video would be a big concern).

Reaction Score
Its hard to judge based on his highlights alone...i'd really like to watch a full game, see the bad traits as well. But from this video, he seems to have more of a physical motor than Brimah. Still same lanky body frame, but when he dunks, he does it with a force and almost a little swagger. Something Brimah never really developed. Given our lack of "dunk on your face" mentality players in recent years, this guy coming off the bench wouldn't be the worst thing (if its a last resort recruiting pull anyway)

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Ooof. No. Has the same Bambi-on-ice physicality Amida did without the length, and "only been playing for 3 years" scares me.

I thought Brimah was overrated, but he'd absolutely be playing 20-25 mins a game on this team/next year.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
#40 on the one opponent looks like he could be Mark Eaton's kid.

pj

Reaction Score
You need some diversity in skill set to play matchups. I think a problem with Tre Mitchell is he's too similar to Carlton. A long rim-protector who can be good defensively would be a great complement to Josh for us. The coaches are right to focus on length more than on offensive skills.

Reaction Score
Just wondering, how is a guy like this not rated on any site? Not too sure how the ins and outs of the recruiting sites work, assuming there’s a good reason

Reaction Score
He's huge and actually has a quick jump. Video was better than I expected but after rebounds he struggled to pass the ball to an open teammate with his defender doing nothing but keeping his hands up. That is a quality of someone very inexperienced and is very frustrating as we have had too many big guys in recent years that can't pass to an open guy. This year with Carlton and Cobb, that actually isn't a weakness for us anymore.

Reaction Score
I thought Brimah was overrated, but he'd absolutely be playing 20-25 mins a game on this team/next year.

*not trying to turn this into another KO thread*

Brimah to me was one of the biggest tragedies of the previous era. I think given a different coaching situation, he could’ve developed into something special.

I’m very happy that Carlton, Polley etc are not going to suffer the same fate.

Reaction Score
He's huge and actually has a quick jump. Video was better than I expected but after rebounds he struggled to pass the ball to an open teammate with his defender doing nothing but keeping his hands up. That is a quality of someone very inexperienced and is very frustrating as we have had too many big guys in recent years that can't pass to an open guy. This year with Carlton and Cobb, that actually isn't a weakness for us anymore.

Yeah always concerned for a big who doesn't understand the power of the pivot after a rebound in order to pass the ball, or at lease create space to find open people. But 3 years only, he has some skill and some things you can't teach for sure. I'd say he may be a legit 7' unlike AB, that's from my mau-surements.:eek:

Reaction Score
*not trying to turn this into another KO thread*

Brimah to me was one of the biggest tragedies of the previous era. I think given a different coaching situation, he could’ve developed into something special.

I’m very happy that Carlton, Polley etc are not going to suffer the same fate.

4 years same player? 25% staff and 75% on the player at best. This staff maybe would get another point or 2 and maybe .5 or 1 more rebound. Didn't understand the game, nothing natural besides jumping and that hurts coach ability in a huge way. Having said that I'd take him last year and this year. But the main thing we need to improve on is smarter basketball players so the staff can impact them.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yeah always concerned for a big who doesn't understand the power of the pivot after a rebound in order to pass the ball, or at lease create space to find open people. But 3 years only, he has some skill and some things you can't teach for sure. I'd say he may be a legit 7' unlike AB, that's from my mau-surements.:eek:

The bigs and the post-rebound pivot have been decimated by littler players getting up in their grill and drawing flagrant fouls for elbows and other shots to the head.

It's BS. The extreme was Dikembe would could clear out a 15' radius with a pivot and elbow square to the ground while holding the ball chest high.

Now a player can barely start to rotate and if there's any contact it draws a flagrant one or two.

Reaction Score
4 years same player? 25% staff and 75% on the player at best. This staff maybe would get another point or 2 and maybe .5 or 1 more rebound. Didn't understand the game, nothing natural besides jumping and that hurts coach ability in a huge way. Having said that I'd take him last year and this year. But the main thing we need to improve on is smarter basketball players so the staff can impact them.

I mean, sure. But, 25% is still a pretty big impact

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104