Richmond Run was the game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Richmond Run was the game

Reaction Score
Throw doubles at him, Seton Hall is a bad three point shooting team.
Yeah that's the thing I don't understand. None of it made sense. Seton Hall shoots like 29% from 3 coming into this game and somehow a.) managed to shoot 50% against us in the first half like every other bad 3 point shooting team and b.) we refused to double Richmond knowing they are a bad 3 point shooting team. Seton Hall was only 2-7 in the second half and overtime - we could have certainly brought help defense.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
At minimum bait him into shooting from the outside. You’re literally better giving up almost anything other than what they inevitably were going to give up defending the way they did. You need to either force a tougher shot or force multiple passes and rotations where mistakes can potentially happen to get an easy one. You cannot give up no pass easy buckets possession after possession.

Reaction Score
No doubt it was the game, but I don't know what else we could have done? He broke down Polley, Martin and even when we put Whaley on him, he backed him down for an and-one. He took the DPOY to school.

Sometimes a guy just catches fire and short of sending in Tanya Harding there isn't much you can do to stop him.
Tanya Harding never hit anyone. Just saying.

Reaction Score
It was certainly a turning point for sure, but we had 4 huge high leverage situations that we just failed.

Cole burned on defense, commits his 5th foul.
Jackson wide open 3 at the end of regulation, airball out of bounds.
Whaley doesn't stop a guard 1v1 in the paint and gives up an And-1.
Don't get a shot off in last play when D takes away our first option.

My guess is Whaley was either the last to get out of quarantine or the hardest hit by COVID. He did not look like himself today, and my guess is that is why he didn't start.

Our players had plenty of chances to win that game. But as much as I try to avoid statements like this, Hurley was not good enough down the stretch in overtime. You had to run a double team at Richmond there, and you couldn't run the shot clock down with Cole on the bench -- the margin for error was too small. You should have been happy to get ahead no matter how much time was left and then tried to hold on with your D.

Reaction Score
Laughable, when a guy is doing the same damn thing to you over and over you adjust before he gets 17 points in a row. This wasn't Steph Curry going off hitting miraculous three after three, it was a slowish 7 ppg scoring guard getting whatever he wanted in the lane. It's unacceptable not to adjust to that. That was the game, we had a nice comfortable lead and then we were down. Seton Hall got easy buckets from Richmond that whole stretch and for the rest of the game.
It’s “laughable” to think that seton hall was not going to make a run and we would keep our comfortable lead and win easily. As you said he is a slowish 7ppg guard who did nothing in the first half. Why would you plan to double him? You have to game plan for their best players first. I agree he could have brought the double earlier but you can only double when he is posting up. Whaley came once and we got lucky that it worked. If he is driving you slide to himif he beats his man ( which we did often too late). You aren’t going to double him on the perimeter are you? He hit 3s when they back off him. Give the kid credit for a great game. I think the zone argument is a better one. But who knows? I thought we had a chance to win against a good team on their court. I like our chances moving forward.

Reaction Score
I believe it was the last field goal by SH in OT Martin is nearby just watching instead of doubling and making something happen as they scored in the lane. I could not believe it after all that had happened in the second half letting them go one on one.

Reaction Score
Box and 1 with with tough defender on Richmond. Andre or Tyrese would put an end to Richmond fast?

Reaction Score
Box and 1 with with tough defender on Richmond. Andre or Tyrese would put an end to Richmond fast?
They both tried, as did Isaiah. None were successful. Refs were letting everyone play.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score

Again, I love 99% of what Hurley does, but this is an unbelievably soft and pathetic response. He owes his players an apology for how he handled this. To essentially say, a guy was killing us, so we were waiting to see if he’d stop is malpractice.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There were a ton of small mistakes that you can't have and win a game like that. That's all. Make 2 or 3 fewer of them and you win. People are reading too much into it.

Reaction Score

Again, I love 99% of what Hurley does, but this is an unbelievably soft and pathetic response. He owes his players an apology for how he handled this. To essentially say, a guy was killing us, so we were waiting to see if he’d stop is malpractice.

Not only that but here ya go Kadary he doesn’t think you can do it again next time we play. Sweet chalkboard material :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom