Richmond Run was the game | The Boneyard

Richmond Run was the game

Reaction Score
The game was lost in the 10 minutes or so where we just let Richmond walk the ball up the court 12-15 possessions in a row without making any adjustments.

We didn’t pressure the ball in the back court, hedge screens to force the ball away from him, double in the post, anything. When you sit there and refuse to make any adjustments to something right in front of your face, you don’t deserve to win.

I love Hurley and I absolutely think hes the guy, but this is up there with the St. John’s loss last year in terms of coaching blunders costing us a game.

Reaction Score
the lack of an adjustment to a player that runs off 17 straight points is mind boggling. Even a middle age no talent guy like me would run an extra defender at him from the weak side and make someone else beat me.
Even if you just throw in a token half court pressure to gas him a bit or force the ball out of his hands and make them get it back to him. He legit just walked the ball to the 3 point line with no resistance every time and we let him ISO.

Reaction Score
It was certainly a turning point for sure, but we had 4 huge high leverage situations that we just failed.

Cole burned on defense, commits his 5th foul.
Jackson wide open 3 at the end of regulation, airball out of bounds.
Whaley doesn't stop a guard 1v1 in the paint and gives up an And-1.
Don't get a shot off in last play when D takes away our first option.

Reaction Score
Coaching malpractice. If Hurley is supposed to be this defensive oriented coach he should’ve been able to come up with something

Reaction Score
We were up 9 when it started and he got them a lead. It absolutely changed the score.
You're right. I was thinking it was right at the start of the 2nd half when we were up 4

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hard for me to say that's the game when the score didn't change at all the entire time he had his run

EDIT: Here's the score when KR run started.

Screenshot_20220108-135018_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Did Richmond get some half court looks we could have taken away? Yes. But he also scored about half of his 17 in transition and from the line. Not like it was 10 straight possessions of him breaking down our defense. He made a lot of tough shots he was going to make with 4 guys on him. This happens too much to us. Really just unfortunate luck that guys always pick UConn to have career games against.

Reaction Score
One the most quantifiable dumb takes in the history of the board.

UCOnn is up 54-45 when Richardson starts his run.

Rando BY poster "Yeah but UConn was still up by 9 when he finished his run".

View attachment 72325
As I very clearly just said above I thought his run started at the beginning of the 2nd half, not when it did. I'm wrong, it happens.

Reaction Score
Hard for me to say that's the game when the score didn't change at all the entire time he had his run
I guess you didn't watch the game. UConn was up 54-47 when the Kadary Richmond onslaught began and UConn was down 68-65 when the Kadary Richmond onslaught ended. That's a 10 point swing while Hurley made no adjustments making a dude who averages 7 ppg look like Jordan.

It was absolutely the turning point of the game and we got punked on national television. Not only a 10 point swing but it opened up everything for Rhoden and Aiken to go to work. Hall got easy buckets the entire time during and after the Richmond onslaught.

Reaction Score
I guess you didn't watch the game. UConn was up 54-47 when the Kadary Richmond onslaught began and UConn was down 68-65 when the Kadary Richmond onslaught ended. That's a 10 point swing while Hurley made no adjustments making a dude who averages 7 ppg look like Jordan.
Keep reading the thread. I know.

Reaction Score
You guys know that SH has two other guys who are better than him that we are trying to stop right? The coach realized we actually were able to stop his top two guys so he challenged us to stop him in the second half. Worked out well for them I agree but doubling him would probably have gone just as bad if not worse with open 3 coming. We doubled once and it kinda worked I guess but the guy just dropped an easy pass for a dunk. They are a really good team that we just played a really good game against.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
As I very clearly just said above I thought his run started at the beginning of the 2nd half, not when it did. I'm wrong, it happens.

Fair enough. I cut you some slack and edited my post

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Regardless of the change in score, you cannot let a guy get double digit buckets using the exact same move every time down without changing what you throw at him. Just changing the guy guarding him doesn’t cut it. After three buckets the fire alarm needs to go off.

I’m in the love Hurley camp and I thought he had them way more ready to play today than I thought was possible, but the approach (or lack of one) on Richmond was pathetic. Down to the last possessions of overtime, the continued to let him do exactly the same thing. Its one thing if a guy is just figuring out everything you throw at him. That’s not what was happening. Richmond figured out one thing very well and the approach was to hope he got worse at it.

Reaction Score
You guys know that SH has two other guys who are better than him that we are trying to stop right? The coach realized we actually were able to stop his top two guys so he challenged us to stop him in the second half. Worked out well for them I agree but doubling him would probably have gone just as bad if not worse with open 3 coming. We doubled once and it kinda worked I guess but the guy just dropped an easy pass for a dunk. They are a really good team that we just played a really good game against.
Laughable, when a guy is doing the same damn thing to you over and over you adjust before he gets 17 points in a row. This wasn't Steph Curry going off hitting miraculous three after three, it was a slowish 7 ppg scoring guard getting whatever he wanted in the lane. It's unacceptable not to adjust to that. That was the game, we had a nice comfortable lead and then we were down. Seton Hall got easy buckets from Richmond that whole stretch and for the rest of the game.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Laughable, when a guy is doing the same damn thing to you over and over you adjust before he gets 17 points in a row. This wasn't Steph Curry going off hitting miraculous three after three, it was a slowish 7 ppg scoring guard getting whatever he wanted in the lane. It's unacceptable not to adjust to that. That was the game, we had a nice comfortable lead and then we were down. Seton Hall got easy buckets from Richmond that whole stretch and for the rest of the game.
No doubt it was the game, but I don't know what else we could have done? He broke down Polley, Martin and even when we put Whaley on him, he backed him down for an and-one. He took the DPOY to school.

Sometimes a guy just catches fire and short of sending in Tanya Harding there isn't much you can do to stop him.

Reaction Score
No doubt it was the game, but I don't know what else we could have done? He broke down Polley, Martin and even when we put Whaley on him, he backed him down for an and-one. He took the DPOY to school.

Sometimes a guy just catches fire and short of sending in Tanya Harding there isn't much you can do to stop him.
Throw doubles at him, Seton Hall is a bad three point shooting team.

Reaction Score

Double hard and aggressively. Go zone. Sell out keeping him away from his strong hand.

Anything but "1v1... try your best!"

Reaction Score
Richmond is the guy I felt we should have pursued before and after he went to Syracuse.
Long, can go wherever he wants with the ball, and the knock on him here has been his shooting ability, yet he's shooting better this year than Cole, Gaffney and Hawkins. Go figure.
Just might be undefeated this year with him on the floor.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom