Rich Rod Offense | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rich Rod Offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Somebody should tell Michigan State that their offense wasn't exciting enough to win the Rose Bowl and finish the year 13-1, B1G Champs, Rose Bowl Champs, and most likely ranked in the top 2-3.

Reaction Score
Somebody should tell Michigan State that their offense wasn't exciting enough to win the Rose Bowl and finish the year 13-1, B1G Champs, Rose Bowl Champs, and most likely ranked in the top 2-3.
Nice try. Michigan State threw the ball 36 times for 332 yds. Stanford only 140 yds passing.

Reaction Score

Yeah, and the 29.8 points per game with 43 TDs where less important, I'm sure, than the old "keep the offense off the field". How many Offensive TDs did UConn get in the Fiesta Bowl to help keep the defense and special teams competitive with Oklahoma.

Reaction Score
Because if you realistically can't compete for national championships then you should at least be known for winning your conference and playing exciting football.

Reaction Score
Nice try. Michigan State threw the ball 36 times for 332 yds. Stanford only 140 yds passing.

They scored 24 points, wow, they really put on a show.

You guys are right. There's only one way to win, and that's throwing the ball early and often. Stanford, with only 140 yards passing, was never in the game and didn't have a chance to win.

Michigan St. was tied for 58th in scoring offense before the game.
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/27/p2

They were 4th in scoring defense before the game.
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/28

Defense is what got them to and won the Rose Bowl, with a stop on 4th and less than a yard to seal the game.

Now, TDhusky will inevitably call me a "3 yard and cloud of dust" guy, because all he does is blame ESPN for everything, say we need throw the ball 70 times a game, and say anyone who disagrees wants to run the wishbone.

I don't care what offense we run, but we need to be able to do two things in order to win, run the ball and stop the run. That doesn't mean we don't need to be able to throw the ball well. But if we can't run the ball (like this year), and we can't stop the run, then we aren't going to win many games. People talk about high powered offenses, like Rich Rod at WVU, Baylor, and Oregon, but if you actually watch the games, those teams can and do run the ball. Well.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/27
The top 5 scoring offenses this year:

1) Baylor
Rushing (11) Passing (5)
2) FSU
Rushing (24) Passing (14)
3) OSU
Rushing (3) Passing (91)
4) Oregon
Rushing (9) Passing (21)
5) Texas A&M
Rushing (46) Passing (7)

Only Texas A&M wasn't in the top 25 rushing the ball, and they are the lowest ranked team of those 5, and they needed a pick 6 and another late interception to beat Duke. Defense finally won them that game after their offense wasn't able to outscore Duke.

OSU on the other hand was worse 90 other teams throwing the ball and they are 12-1 and in the Orange Bowl.

We need balance on offense. We need to be able to run the ball and throw the ball. I want us to be able to throw the ball for 300 yards a game as bad as anyone else, but if people (TDH) think that's all we need to do win more games, he's wrong.

The number one rushing team in the country- Auburn, playing for a national championship.

At the end of the day, there are two ways to score when you have the ball, I don't care how we find the endzone, but we need to have a balanced attack and a very good defense if we want sustained success.

Reaction Score
Yeah, and the 29.8 points per game with 43 TDs where less important, I'm sure, than the old "keep the offense off the field". How many Offensive TDs did UConn get in the Fiesta Bowl to help keep the defense and special teams competitive with Oklahoma.

Oklahoma was simply bigger, better, faster, and stronger than UConn in that game. Get over it. OU should have been challenging for a national championship that year.

That 29.8 points per game puts Michigan State tied for 58th in the country.

Solidly mediocre.

Their defense, however, is ranked 4th, with 12.7 points per game.

Now that I've given you the answer, I'd ask you whether or not they relied on outscoring offenses, or shutting teams down, but you probably still wouldn't get it right.

Reaction Score
Because if you realistically can't compete for national championships then you should at least be known for winning your conference and playing exciting football.
UConn won two conference championships without playing exciting football.

I would love for us to play exciting football, but I want winning football first. Whether it's exciting or not is secondary. Unless you're TDH, he wouldn't mind watching us go 3-9 every year if we averaged 45 points a game

Reaction Score
No one said abandon the run. We just can't have an offense that treats the forward pass like a necessary evil. Embrace the fact that rules have been tailored to make throwing the ball easier.

Reaction Score
you can rely on your defense and running game as long as you have the threat of the pass, MSU has that which is why they can play against anybody, Uconn in 2011 did not have the threat of the pass.

Reaction Score
No one said abandon the run. We just can't have an offense that treats the forward pass like a necessary evil. Embrace the fact that rules have been tailored to make throwing the ball easier.
TDH has basically said abandon the run.

And we didn't have that this year, or last year. We tried to the throw the ball, we just didn't succeed at it very often.

We were 63rd in passing offense last year.
119th in rushing.

This is what is most annoying about these constant posts about us needing to throw the ball more, particularly by TDH.

We threw the ball plenty, we need to get better at throwing the ball, and much better at running the ball. Or we're going to continue to suck.

Reaction Score
UConn won two conference championships without playing exciting football.

I would love for us to play exciting football, but I want winning football first. Whether it's exciting or not is secondary. Unless you're TDH, he wouldn't mind watching us go 3-9 every year if we averaged 45 points a game

We shared two Conference championships. One year, the other champ walloped us by nearly half a hundred with an exciting offense. The other year we lost to Temple and Rutgers.

Reaction Score
We shared two Conference championships. One year, the other champ walloped us by nearly half a hundred with an exciting offense. The other year we lost to Temple and Rutgers.

in 07 we faced the Pat White-Rich Rod WVU team, that team had they not choked against Pitt would have ran all over Ohio State in the national title game. We shared the first one, the 2011 Uconn wasn't as good as the 07 team.

Reaction Score

It's quite an interesting fanbase we have.

On the one hand we think we're better than the AAC.

On the other hand, many of our fans will undercut two of the most important things we've accomplished in our short time playing FBS football.

We shared two conference championships in 10 years in the Big East, Rutgers shared one in about 30.

But let's wring our hands over the occasional bad losses. That don't happen to anyone else, ever.

Reaction Score
It's quite an interesting fanbase we have.

On the one hand we think we're better than the AAC.

On the other hand, many of our fans will undercut two of the most important things we've accomplished in our short time playing FBS football.

We shared two conference championships in 10 years in the Big East, Rutgers shared one in about 30.

But let's wring our hands over the occasional bad losses. That don't happen to anyone else, ever.

We are better than the AAC, and we need to look at our co championships in the proper light.

I am hoping that we start killing teams 43-10 from now on. Eeking out 13-10 wins at home isn't going to sell more season tickets.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
In today's college game, you don't win by keeping the other team's offense off the field. You win by outs coring the other team's offense. Unfortunately a concept that eludes the Northeast.

And it eludes Michigan State and UCF and Alabama and Stanford.

But Baylor and Arizona score a lot of points!!! Yipee.

sdhusky

Reaction Score

The quote was:

In today's college game, you don't win by keeping the other team's offense off the field.

I think Michigan State did that today.

Reaction Score
And it eludes Michigan State and UCF and Alabama and Stanford.

But Baylor and Arizona score a lot of points!!! Yipee.
UCF just scored 52, threw the ball and ran the ball like a bunch of beasts! The verdict is in. Score more points=wins!!!

Reaction Score
The quote was:

I think Michigan State did that today.
Stanford stuffed their run game, they had the ABILITY to make them pay through the air. That is what you have to have. When your bread and butter run game gets shut down, you have to have the passing game to keep you in the game. It is what we never had when we were "smash mouthing", "running power" every play. Shut or contain our run game and it was game over. So yeah, balance and the ability to gash moduckers through the air doesn't hurt either. I think were headed that way in our offensive philososphy.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
UCF just scored 52, threw the ball and ran the ball like a bunch of beasts! The verdict is in. Score more points=wins!!!

The ran the ball 44 times vs. 31 passes and passed for less yards than Baylor but the key was their defense limited the Baylor offense's points. Baylors offense gets off the field so quickly, score or not, that your offense will get more shots. UCF wore down Baylor's D.

Reaction Score
The ran the ball 44 times vs. 31 passes and passed for less yards than Baylor but the key was their defense limited the Baylor offense's points. Baylors offense gets off the field so quickly, score or not, that your offense will get more shots. UCF wore down Baylor's D.
301 yds passing I believe. They did wear them down. Storm Johnson is an animal. You still have to pass the ball to keep up with an offense like Baylor's. UCF must have had 300 yds rushing as well. Have not seen the box score.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Stanford stuffed their run game, they had the ABILITY to make them pay through the air. That is what you have to have. When your bread and butter run game gets shut down, you have to have the passing game to keep you in the game. It is what we never had when we were "smash mouthing", "running power" every play. Shut or contain our run game and it was game over. So yeah, balance and the ability to gash mo ers through the air doesn't hurt either. I think were headed that way in our offensive philososphy.

I agree. We would have been better with a good passing attack. No doubt. I want to see our QB pass for 300 yards and run the ball efficiency.

I'm challenging the idea that the RR or Baylor offense is the only way to win. Its not an accident those teams usually have weak D's.

I like bend don't break defenses and you need an offense to fit that.

I'm not saying Az or Baylor aren't exciting and don't win, just that there is still room for teams that don't use the spread.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
301 yds passing I believe. They did wear them down. Storm Johnson is an animal. You still have to pass the ball to keep up with an offense like Baylor's. UCF must have had 300 yds rushing as well. Have not seen the box score.

Are you saying that UCF played the spread tonight?

Reaction Score
Are you saying that UCF played the spread tonight?
No??? But they did run zone read plays and spread them out some.

The spread is not the only way to pile up passing yards and have a high octane offense. Offenses these days, especially college offenses run multiple concepts, you did see them run zone reads no?

sdhusky

Reaction Score
No??? But they did run zone read plays and spread them out some.

The spread is not the only way to pile up passing yards and have a high octane offense. Offenses these days, especially college offenses run multiple concepts, you did see them run zone reads no?

Oh. so you like offenses that execute, score a lot of points and don't get stopped by the other team.

Me too.

But I don't think you should really push your point too hard that the UCF win over Baylor is proof of the power of the high-octane spread.

Reaction Score
I never said UCF ran the spread, they do get the ball in the hands of their playmakers IN SPACE and let them make plays. The two are not the same thing. Where the hell are you getting that I said UCF ran the spread? They run an offense where even when they run the ball 40+ times, they could still pass for 300 yds. That is a thing of beauty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom