Rich: No Tucker; No New 2013 Targets | The Boneyard

Rich: No Tucker; No New 2013 Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
In a blog mostly about the Univ. of Wisconsin's announcement of Michala Johnson's transfer, Rich Elliott drops in a recruiting update:

A recruiting source said that in the wake of losing Class of 2013 targets Diamond DeShields (North Carolina) and Taya Reimer (Notre Dame), the Huskies do not plan to get involved with any new players in the class. They will continue to target Saniya Chong, a 5-foot-9 guard from Ossining, N.Y., Linnae Harper, a 5-7 guard from Chicago, and Erica McCall, a 6-3 forward from Bakersfield, Calif.

UConn is not involved with Jannah Tucker, a 6-foot guard from Randallstown, Md.

http://blog.ctnews.com/elliott/

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think that UCONN lands Chong, but I see Harper going somewhere she has a chance to hit the court early and often. She seems to be too talented to want to play a backup role.

I don't know why but McCall seems to be a UCONN fit to me. I would think that McCall will be a heavy target and that she is going to get the royal treatment from the UCONN staff.

Reaction Score
Bakersfield?
Well, at least there'd be some UConn fans in attendance if we're sent back to the Fresno regional.

I believe that'd be a record commute among UConn players from the lower 48.

Reaction Score
I think that UCONN lands Chong, but I see Harper going somewhere she has a chance to hit the court early and often. She seems to be too talented to want to play a backup role.

Actually, my GUT tells me exactly the opposite.

[Especially when you consider the teams listed in Chong's final 6 (OSU and Miami scream start for me now - fit her style of play; UNC has no scholarships, but fits her style of play; Maryland/Louisville - style of play (btw - her style of play - free offense - no defense)...the ONE school where her style does NOT fit is...yup, you guessed it, UConn).]

[And Harper seems to me like she has UConn written all over her...unselfish, team player, loves to win, cares little about stats/awards, hard worker, gritty, etc.]

Reaction Score
Here's a question: when the last time Geno lost a recruit from east of the Hudson and north of NYC?

Reaction Score
Any thought on picking up a lower ranked 2013 like Lauren, who I think was ranked 60th, but has played really good when she is in the game?

Reaction Score
Any thought on picking up a lower ranked 2013 like Lauren, who I think was ranked 60th, but has played really good when she is in the game?

If they're not involved with a player up to now, seems pretty hard to jump in. On both sides. You don't want to grab someone you don't know well who might be incompatible.
Unless it's someone like Fernandes.

I'd suspect if the #of recruits is low, they'll start casting a wider net for 2014 where there's more time.

U

UCONNfan1

To me Tucker (6'0" athletic guard/wing) seems very similar to Sierra Calhoun (6'1" athletic wing) who's brother is attending UCONN this fall with a hoops scholly. To me, Tucker in 2013 seemed awfully similar to Calhoun, but the kid we already have (Ekmark) seems nothing like the other kids we are looking at...

in other words, if we end up landing Calhoun, she has a game similar to Tucker so no harm no foul. Maybe Geno feels good enough about Calhoun that he decided to back off Tucker (or maybe it was her decision - who knows?)

as for who we get, i have zero idea. 3 seems a long shot. Zero seems unlikely. didn't the big cheese say a few weeks back that "the 2013 recruiting class should be wrapped up soon with names no one expects"? maybe it's "names no one expects" because there will be no verbals!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
To me Tucker (6'0" athletic guard/wing) seems very similar to Sierra Calhoun (6'1" athletic wing) who's brother is attending UCONN this fall with a hoops scholly. To me, Tucker in 2013 seemed awfully similar to Calhoun, but the kid we already have (Ekmark) seems nothing like the other kids we are looking at...

in other words, if we end up landing Calhoun, she has a game similar to Tucker so no harm no foul. Maybe Geno feels good enough about Calhoun that he decided to back off Tucker (or maybe it was her decision - who knows?)

as for who we get, i have zero idea. 3 seems a long shot. Zero seems unlikely. didn't the big cheese say a few weeks back that "the 2013 recruiting class should be wrapped up soon with names no one expects"? maybe it's "names no one expects" because there will be no verbals!
Some names no one expects:

Rebecca Blank

Sue Zip

Diana Nobody

Tina Nada

Maya Zilch

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In a blog mostly about the Univ. of Wisconsin's announcement of Michala Johnson's transfer, Rich Elliott drops in a recruiting update:

A recruiting source said that in the wake of losing Class of 2013 targets Diamond DeShields (North Carolina) and Taya Reimer (Notre Dame), the Huskies do not plan to get involved with any new players in the class. They will continue to target Saniya Chong, a 5-foot-9 guard from Ossining, N.Y., Linnae Harper, a 5-7 guard from Chicago, and Erica McCall, a 6-3 forward from Bakersfield, Calif.

UConn is not involved with Jannah Tucker, a 6-foot guard from Randallstown, Md.

http://blog.ctnews.com/elliott/
I was hoping that Kendall Cooper might be an alternative (or addition) to Erica McCall.

Reaction Score
Here's a wild thougt. Maybe Geno has an overseas player coming in.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Here's a wild thougt. Maybe Geno has an overseas player coming in.
Could be but the Horde hasn't mentioned any. Maybe Geno will recruit in London? :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The only Brits that can play basketball are Brittney Hunter & Brittney Griner.
Very Good, VG!

Maybe Brit Sykes will make the list.

Or maybe Geno will recruit some Lithuanians, the 6'5" type with deep shooting range and long blonde hair.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Chong would look great at Miami.......

Does anyone know if she had visited any other campuses on unofficial visits?

I was hoping that Kendall Cooper might be an alternative (or addition) to Erica McCall.

Dont be so greedy.... share the wealth with the good folks down in Durham :p

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Here's a question: when the last time Geno lost a recruit from east of the Hudson and north of NYC?
Were we recruiting Ashley Cimino out of Maine before Stanford grabbed her?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

There are a bunch of kids that you are looking at from 2013 who isn't on UCONN's list. go get Russell, Davis, Greenwell and Tucker! :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Triad, please be patient. Wait until Elizabeth Williams and Alexis Jones graduate. The cupboard is not bare in Durham. :)

JS

Reaction Score
Were we recruiting Ashley Cimino out of Maine before Stanford grabbed her?
No. She chose Stanford over Maryland, BC, Harvard and Dartmouth. Had also considered HC and Nova.

Could be wrong, but I vaguely recall some hard feelings among Cimino supporters that UConn didn't show serious interest.

Reaction Score

Us greedy? We've got nobody, zilch, zero in the entire class. I'd say it's your good friends/long-time conference partners in Chapel Hill that got the greed thang going on.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
No. She chose Stanford over Maryland, BC, Harvard and Dartmouth. Had also considered HC and Nova.

Could be wrong, but I vaguely recall some hard feelings among Cimino supporters that UConn didn't show serious interest.
Thanks. I remember some discussion on the board but no real details.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ok, let's take a realistic look at our targets. For each--assuming they commit--how do they fit in in terms of playing time and impact in each of their years? Can Harper play with MoJeff? When would Chong get PT? Will McCall back up Breanna and Morgan or force her way into the rotation?

Will Saniya be the new Sammy Prahalis at OSU or Riquana Williams at Miami? Will DeWanna Bonner be known as Erica McCall's sister? Will Linnae Harper beat up on the UConn male practice players?

Reaction Score

Cimino didn't do anything at Stanford, and it was no surprise to some of the coaches in Maine. She was invisible in some key games, and I never saw any potential for a high D1 offer.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
As I said in another thread, if McCall, Harper and Chong come to UCONN, I would be a very happy camper with that class.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
There was some UConn interest...I don't know how much. While it is true that Ashley did not get much PT at Stanford, her time there was very, very difficult for her due to the poor health of her [very] young Dad. Michael Cimino eventually passed away during her career out there. I heard that Tara was wonderful in how she dealt with Ashley and her desire to spend time back east periodically to be with her father.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom